Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Where would Glen Johnson be now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Where would Glen Johnson be now?

Glen Johnson has to be one of the most unlucky fighters in recent times, I wonder where he would be now if some or all of those decisions went his way.

By my account he has been unlucky in at least 8 points results -

Chad Dawson (L) - Arguments could be made for both to win but Johnson was definitely in with a shout.

Clinton Woods (L) - Again a close fight but Johnson did enough and Woods was lucky it was in his home town

Clinton Woods (D) - Johnson's fight for me

Daniel Judah (D) - Disgrace Johnson won by at least 4 rounds

Julio Cesar Gonzales (L) - Close fight once again arguments for both winning

Omar Shieka (L) - Great fight could have gone either way but I favoured Johnson

Sven Ottke - (L) - Sven Ottke in Germany need I say more

Joseph Kiwanuka (L) - Johnson not at his best but never deserved to lose this fight

There are a few others that he lost on points that i haven't seen including Silvio Branco in Italy that may or may not have been fair decisions, his record and bank balance however would have been much healthier had at least some of these results gone his way.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Where would Glen Johnson be now?

Quote Originally Posted by jmbtandy View Post
    Glen Johnson has to be one of the most unlucky fighters in recent times, I wonder where he would be now if some or all of those decisions went his way.

By my account he has been unlucky in at least 8 points results -

Chad Dawson (L) - Arguments could be made for both to win but Johnson was definitely in with a shout.

Clinton Woods (L) - Again a close fight but Johnson did enough and Woods was lucky it was in his home town

Clinton Woods (D) - Johnson's fight for me

Daniel Judah (D) - Disgrace Johnson won by at least 4 rounds

Julio Cesar Gonzales (L) - Close fight once again arguments for both winning

Omar Shieka (L) - Great fight could have gone either way but I favoured Johnson

Sven Ottke - (L) - Sven Ottke in Germany need I say more

Joseph Kiwanuka (L) - Johnson not at his best but never deserved to lose this fight

There are a few others that he lost on points that i haven't seen including Silvio Branco in Italy that may or may not have been fair decisions, his record and bank balance however would have been much healthier had at least some of these results gone his way.
    I'll do the ones i have seen.

Chad Dawson - Draw

Clinton Woods (L) - Johnson won

Clinton Woods (D) - Johnson won.

Daniel Judah (D) - Johnson won.

Julio Cesar Gonzales (L) -

Omar Shieka (L) - Johnson won.

Sven Ottke - (L) - Johnson won.

Joseph Kiwanuka (L) -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe Johnson would be up there with the best of our generation. I still think he is one of the best 168-175lb fighters of the last 20 years. Most fans know the Road Warrior was shorted in more fights then he should have been. I think it is the fact he has been shorted in those fights that has made him so populartoday.

ICB Guest

The only fighters who ever clearly beat Johnson is Hopkins and Tarver in there 2nd fight. Other than that majority of his losses could of gone his way.
    Last edited by ICB; 05-27-2008 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most of his so called "robberies" were close fights.

The reason he has so many losses is because he's not good enough to DOMINATE opponents.

If anything he's very overrated.
    Last edited by Fenster; 05-27-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only seen the Dawson and Woods fights of the ones mentioned, they were all close, was screwed in the draw with Clinton, but I feel the loos in the final fight was just. Fenster touched on his problem and I agree, I feel he only has a couple of gears during a fight and he's unable to raise his game further, especially during the Dawson fight I felt that he was one paced and that Dawson would win the rounds when he would raise HIS game and lose the ones where he'd be taking a bit of a breather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glen Johnson has been screwed over more times than most people, but I dont think it has affected him that badly. He has continued getting big fights, in which he in turn has done himself well, and at the end of his career, he is being held in very high esteem. Would he be anywhere else now, had he got the nod against Woods for example?

Anyway, the ones who are really badly affected by bad decisions are those who fight the fight of their lives, against opposition who are better (or more famous) than them, wins, but gets screwed and therefore has to settle for forever being journeymen, never really tasting that sweet glory, money and fame, they actually came within one bad decision of reaching. Santa Cruz-Casamayor comes to mind.

Thread Information