Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default One of the BIGGEST wasted talents in boxing history :mad:

Kermit Cintron. Can't understand this guy. Came into the fight throwing half-hearted punches at Alvarez. Then.... when the fight was already decided and Kermit had been hurt a few times.... he seems to get pissed off and throws some awesome BOMBS at Alvarez. Had he done that from the very beginning, it could've been a lot different fight altogether. I think it was Roy Jones Jr. that nailed it right on the head when he said that Kermit wasn't going to stand much of a chance until he started "throwing punches like he means it".

First time I saw Kermit fight, it was against Walter Mattheyse (sp?) of Argentina. The guy was undefeated with like 26 KO's in 28 fights. The first round was actually good. Then Kermit destroys the guy with one of the scariest KO combinations I've EVER seen. A left uppercut that shut the circuit breaker off on Walter, and before the poor guy could actually start falling down..... a right hand cannon shot that knocked the poor guy even more senseless. From that point on, I always thought the sky was the limit for Cintron.

But posters in here are absolutely correct. Kermit's biggest problem has always been between the ears. Who knows.... the ex-wrestler-turned-boxer-at-19-years-of-age just doesn't seem to have the fighter's mindset needed for boxing. Which is too bad, because in terms of the total package (size, athleticism, power, etc), he could've been something great. But it just wasn't meant to be.

Retire, Kermit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah kermit as a fan I say maybe get an office job or be a delivery driver.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: One of the BIGGEST wasted talents in boxing history :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Kermit Cintron. Can't understand this guy. Came into the fight throwing half-hearted punches at Alvarez. Then.... when the fight was already decided and Kermit had been hurt a few times.... he seems to get pissed off and throws some awesome BOMBS at Alvarez. Had he done that from the very beginning, it could've been a lot different fight altogether. I think it was Roy Jones Jr. that nailed it right on the head when he said that Kermit wasn't going to stand much of a chance until he started "throwing punches like he means it".

First time I saw Kermit fight, it was against Walter Mattheyse (sp?) of Argentina. The guy was undefeated with like 26 KO's in 28 fights. The first round was actually good. Then Kermit destroys the guy with one of the scariest KO combinations I've EVER seen. A left uppercut that shut the circuit breaker off on Walter, and before the poor guy could actually start falling down..... a right hand cannon shot that knocked the poor guy even more senseless. From that point on, I always thought the sky was the limit for Cintron.

But posters in here are absolutely correct. Kermit's biggest problem has always been between the ears. Who knows.... the ex-wrestler-turned-boxer-at-19-years-of-age just doesn't seem to have the fighter's mindset needed for boxing. Which is too bad, because in terms of the total package (size, athleticism, power, etc), he could've been something great. But it just wasn't meant to be.

Retire, Kermit.
    he has that Mike Tyson/Zab Judah mentality, if things get too complicate or tough he shuts down, that's why when there were talks of there being a showdown between him against either Cotto or Quintana I honestly favored both guys over Kermit, he's too emotional of a fighter and not in a good sense, a good example of an emotional trainer taking that emotion or desperation and channeling it into a positive is Arturo Gatti and Evander Holyfield, when things got tough or they felt they were about to crumble they only came back stronger, Cintron doesn't have that, when things get too tough he doubts himself then quits altogether, we call him Kermit "El Lloron" Cintron due to the way he usually breaks down and whines or cries during and after a fight

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know about one of the biggest wasted talents, I'll leave that to the Fernando Vargas's of the world who were wonder children and we expected greatness while they went on to mediocre careers.. See we never expected greatness from a person who started boxing at 19 but he was a very talented fighter, but always underachieve what was expected of him. He came relative late to the sport of boxing so maybe that had something to do with it, although martinez did as well and he fared good. I always liked Kermit but maybe he just didnt have the mentality or heart of a champion, he always folded when it counted the most.
    Last edited by outspoken; 11-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I don't know about one of the biggest wasted talents, I'll leave that to the Fernando Vargas's of the world who were wonder children and we expected greatness while they went on to mediocre careers.. See we never expected greatness from a person who started boxing at 19 but he was a very talented fighter, but always underachieve what was expected of him. He came relative late to the sport of boxing so maybe that had something to do with it, although martinez did as well and he fared good. I always liked Kermit but maybe he just didnt have the mentality or heart of a champion, he always folded when it counted the most.

He started late, but he's got truckloads of talent. I don't think anyone disputes that. Had he applied himself.... AND had the mentality of a fighter.... there's no telling how much further he could've gone.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For a guy who made a transition from wrestling to Boxing at the age of 19, he's an overachiever.
    Kermit is a made boxer, not a natural one.. He's one of those all around athletes who adapted quick to another sport.

Dude had the tools but he simply didnt have the nerves and the ability to fight instinctively due to his late start in the game.

But i was impressed last night. He looked tired but dude was acting like a real fighter, willing to go out on his shield. Mad respect to Kermit..

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cintron's problems aren't lack of talent. There not mental problems either. Cintron's problem is a very simple one. He has no heart. At least not to be a fighter. He has no idea how to deal with adversity. And he doesn't want to know. Easier to just call it a day

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Cintron's problems aren't lack of talent. There not mental problems either. Cintron's problem is a very simple one. He has no heart. At least not to be a fighter. He has no idea how to deal with adversity. And he doesn't want to know. Easier to just call it a day

For once I guess I agree with you. It's all the same, however. A fighter's heart is actually a part of his brain, urging him to go on.... refusing to give up the fight. And yeah.... Kermit has no "heart". He needs to hang up the gloves for good, before he gets seriously hurt.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For once I guess I agree with you. It's all the same, however. A fighter's heart is actually a part of his brain, urging him to go on.... refusing to give up the fight. And yeah.... Kermit has no "heart". He needs to hang up the gloves for good, before he gets seriously hurt.
    It's not the same thing. Zab Judah is a fighter with heart. He showed it in the Cotto fight where he took his beating like a man. But he suffers mental lapses in fights. Cintron doesn't suffer those type of lapses. He just ain't got no heart

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not the same thing. Zab Judah is a fighter with heart. He showed it in the Cotto fight where he took his beating like a man. But he suffers mental lapses in fights. Cintron doesn't suffer those type of lapses. He just ain't got no heart

VD..... having "heart" is a mental state. It's all a matter of semantics. Let's call it something else, just for the sake of the argument. Zab has the will to win at all costs, but loses focus once in awhile. Kermit does not have the will to win at all costs... and also loses focus quite frequently. Whatever. It all comes from the mind. No big deal.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure if Cintron wasted his talent, he wasn't really all that talented to begin with, he just did the best he could with what he had. Think about it, what was Cintron's biggest win in his career? Angulo? I'm not dissn' Kermit, just sayin' he had his limitations, especially when he stepped up in class.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 11-28-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fernando Vargas wasn't a wasted talent at all. He gave it all he had against Tito Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya. He probably fought them too early in his career, but hell he peaked earlier than most fighters. He was World Champ at age 20 or something. I think the motorcycle injury that damaged his back screwed him up more than anything.

And Vargas would have kicked albino Alavarez's ass.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Fernando Vargas wasn't a wasted talent at all. He gave it all he had against Tito Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya. He probably fought them too early in his career, but hell he peaked earlier than most fighters. He was World Champ at age 20 or something. I think the motorcycle injury that damaged his back screwed him up more than anything.

the motorcycle accident messed him up...but fighting a big puncher with loaded gloves damaged him first.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

the motorcycle accident messed him up...but fighting a big puncher with loaded gloves damaged him first.
    he never fought Margarito, that's who you must be referring to because Trinidad never had loaded gloves....people trying to compare the two when it's like night and day, Margarito had plaster on his wraps, Trinidad Sr's wrapping method was that he would distribute the tape more towards his wrist rather than his fist, it was only deemed illegal in NY not Vegas, where did Vargas fight Trinidad? oh right Vegas...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i wouldn't say he has no heart. He was throwing back even when he was hurt vs Alvarez. The guy simply doesn't know how to adapt to the situation in the ring , if things aren't going his way. He has been thought to fight in one way and doesn't have a "Plan B"

Thread Information