Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who should Alvarez fight next?

Money's on Floyd fighting Alvarez next after Cotto, assuming the Manny fight doesn't happen and assuming Floyd doesn't step up and take a fight with Maravilla.

Who at 154 would be the best opponent for Alvarez to make a Floyd fight seem like less of a disappointment? (Obviously Cotto would have been the fight if he were available.)

Kirkland's probably not an option since he's already fighting Molina in late March.

Martirosyan?

It's kind of a weak division.

[To be clear, any fight other than Manny or Martinez at 154 would be disappointing. Just wondering if the more-likely option could be made half-decent. Also, I'd love to see Cotto actually beat Floyd and make this discussion less relevant -- but unfortunately I just don't see that happening.]
    Last edited by shza; 02-02-2012 at 09:50 PM.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Who should Alvarez fight next?

Sergio Martinez....but it won't happen

I think Vanes, or Lara, but maybe Alfredo Angulo is ready to get whupped again. I did like the idea of Canelo fighting Mosley though...it would be #1 a good solid challenge for him and #2 would make a HELL of a PPV with Mayweather-Cotto heading it up!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Money's on Floyd fighting Alvarez next after Cotto, assuming the Manny fight doesn't happen and assuming Floyd doesn't step up and take a fight with Maravilla.

Who at 154 would be the best opponent for Alvarez to make a Floyd fight seem like less of a disappointment? (Obviously Cotto would have been the fight if he were available.)

Kirkland's probably not an option since he's already fighting Molina in late March.

Martirosyan?

[To be clear, any fight other than Manny or Martinez at 154 would be disappointing. Just wondering if the more-likely option could be made half-decent. Also, I'd love to see Cotto actually beat Floyd and make this discussion less relevant -- but unfortunately I just don't see that happening.]
    K9 or Martirosyan are perfect fights for the kid. Each fight is very winnable, but from from easy, and K9 and Martirosyan are legitimate steps up from his previous competition, but not as complicated as Lara or as dangerous as Kirkland.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Martirosyan?

K9 or Martirosyan are perfect fights for the kid. Each fight is very winnable, but from from easy, and K9 and Martirosyan are legitimate steps up from his previous competition, but not as complicated as Lara or as dangerous as Kirkland.
    I have only seen K9 fight on The Contender (where I was completely unimpressed). Do you really consider him on the same level as Martirosyan?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not entirely sure but for the level of pop, push and exposure he's getting its time to take the training wheels off and step it up a bit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

weak division? 154 is one of the divisions that has a good amount of matchups to be made

Dzinziruk
    Williams
    Kirkland
    Chavez Jr
    Lara
    Molina
    Martinez
    K9
    Delvin Rodriguez
    Martirosyan
    Angulo

out of all the ones named IMO the perfect fight at this point in time for Alvarez is Delvin Rodriguez, he's not a world beater but he's a solid fighter who has an entertaining style and good stamina, he's been getting good exposure with his fights against Wolak and it would make sense to put that fight up on HBO given how entertaining the Wolak rematch was and how it's the best win in Rodriguez' career

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    weak division? 154 is one of the divisions that has a good amount of matchups to be made

Dzinziruk
    Williams
    Kirkland
    Chavez Jr
    Lara
    Molina
    Martinez
    K9
    Delvin Rodriguez
    Martirosyan
    Angulo

out of all the ones named IMO the perfect fight at this point in time for Alvarez is Delvin Rodriguez, he's not a world beater but he's a solid fighter who has an entertaining style and good stamina, he's been getting good exposure with his fights against Wolak and it would make sense to put that fight up on HBO given how entertaining the Wolak rematch was and how it's the best win in Rodriguez' career
    While they might move down for the right fight (read: versus Floyd), three of the names you list are middleweights (Williams, Martinez, Chavez Jr.). Of the rest, I think Martirosyan, Lara, Kirkland, and Dzinziruk are probably the best of the bunch -- but I'm going to maintain that it's kind of a weak division below Cotto. That's not the same thing as saying that fights between these guys wouldn't be fun and competitive.

And the question was "who should Canelo fight next" to make him most worthy of a fight versus Floyd? A win over Delvin Rodriguez doesn't really come close. Canelo is a titleholder and should be stepping it up bigger than that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dzinziruk
    Williams
    Kirkland
    Chavez Jr
    Lara
    Molina
    Martinez
    K9
    Delvin Rodriguez
    Martirosyan
    Angulo

While they might move down for the right fight (read: versus Floyd), three of the names you list are middleweights (Williams, Martinez, Chavez Jr.). Of the rest, I think Martirosyan, Lara, Kirkland, and Dzinziruk are probably the best of the bunch -- but I'm going to maintain that it's kind of a weak division below Cotto. That's not the same thing as saying that fights between these guys wouldn't be fun and competitive.

And the question was "who should Canelo fight next" to make him most worthy of a fight versus Floyd? A win over Delvin Rodriguez doesn't really come close. Canelo is a titleholder and should be stepping it up bigger than that.
    Williams isn't a middleweight, his next fight is against Ishida at 154, and Martinez would drop down in a heartbeat if offered the fight, anywho beating the likes of Martirosyan is about the same as beating Rodriguez, if it's to earn a shot at Mayweather than he should be fighting someone like Martinez or Kirkland

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo aint touching Martinez. On a contract or in the ring right about now. If he's too green for Floyd he's green for Martinez, respectfully.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Canelo aint touching Martinez. On a contract or in the ring right about now. If he's too green for Floyd he's green for Martinez, respectfully.
    exactly my point, no way in hell Canelo is going to fight anyone of note, much less anyone really good enough to make him worthy of a shot against Mayweather

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll say fight K9 to unify the titles. If not, and if Williams look impressive, Williams could be next. It can't be Martinez just on the fact that Martinez next fight if not Mayweather, Pacman, or Ward have to be Jcc Jr. Fighting either, (Jcc Jr or Alvaraz) would bring him(Martinez) about the same money I think.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dzinziruk
    Williams
    Kirkland
    Chavez Jr
    Lara
    Molina
    Martinez
    K9
    Delvin Rodriguez
    Martirosyan
    Angulo

Williams is fighting Kirkland's conqueror, Ishida, at 154 pounds + he fought Lara at 154 pounds, and he has stated his intention to remain at junior middleweight.

Given that Canelo's best opponent to date has been Kermit Cintron, whom it turned out was completely washed up, I wouldn't expect GB to put their cash cow in with Lara or Kirkland just yet. I'm going to disagree with you that Cotto is the best junior middleweight in the world. Lara, Kirkland, Dzinziruk, and maybe Williams & Martirosyan beat him although I need to see Dzinziruk again since the knockout to Martinez before I make that claim about him. At the very least, they are all on his level. Lara is the best in the division in my opinion. Molina isn't bad either.

K9 is not great, but he has recent wins over Sechew Powell and Corey Spinks, and he has the IBF strap. He's a fair step up from Canelo's past opponents considering risk/reward.

At this point in time, as sad as it is say it, Mosley is a waste of time and just another name, like Baldomir, Cintron, and Hatton on Canelo's resume. Martirosyan, K9, Williams, Lara, Dzinziruk, Molina, Kirkland, Rodriguez are all live bodies. They'll all lay it on the line for a win. Mosley shows up for a pay check once he is hit by one of Canelo's punches. Mosley doesn't deserve the fight, it's not a good fight at all, and shame on Canelo if he takes it.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 02-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm the only person that believes Williams still has a chance to do some damage in the division if matched correctly, huh?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's still green and will be matched carefully for a while yet.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I'm the only person that believes Williams still has a chance to do some damage in the division if matched correctly, huh?
    Yes
    I think Ishida will tell us alot and I'm note ruling out the upset. Williams vs Kirkland would be a train wreck!!

Thread Information