Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Steve Collins not in the International Boxing Hall of Fame?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is Steve Collins not in the International Boxing Hall of Fame?

Does the IBHOF have something against him? Also Benn and Eubank? I get Calzaghe of course, but come on, these guys deserve to be in there.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collins doesn't get a fair shake in any aspect of boxing discussion or consideration.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is Steve Collins not in the International Boxing Hall of Fame?

I think he stinks and is overrated.

There's actually people on this board - no joke - who think he would have beaten prime Roy Jones at 168.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

There's actually people on this board - no joke - who think he would have beaten prime Roy Jones at 168.
    Then he is overrated by those. But otherwise I see him as largely forgotten. I've been on various boxing message boards for around a decade and this is the first Collins thread I recall. Benn and Eubank come up all the time but never the man that beat each, twice.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a bunch of boxing writers who decide who goes in the HOF. The consensus opinion is that those guys don't qualify. I'd vote Benn in but not the other two.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but come on, he beat Nigel and Chris at the end of their careers.

He was a solid fighter for sure, I was impressed that he hung in there so well with Reggie Johnson (who is an INCREDIBLY underrated fighter) but I never saw Collins as anything special.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He would have been eaten alive by Calzaghe and was right to retire when he did IMO.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    It's a bunch of boxing writers who decide who goes in the HOF. The consensus opinion is that those guys don't qualify. I'd vote Benn in but not the other two.

These f--king writers are morons for the most part and know f--k all about boxing and boxing history. Fat Dan is a rime example. Many are frigging jock sniffing kids who are bile-inducing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

These f--king writers are morons for the most part and know f--k all about boxing and boxing history. Fat Dan is a rime example. Many are frigging jock sniffing kids who are bile-inducing.

Hmm. Was that too harsh?

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Does the IBHOF have something against him? Also Benn and Eubank? I get Calzaghe of course, but come on, these guys deserve to be in there.
    Because he was shit.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a solid fighter for sure, I was impressed that he hung in there so well with Reggie Johnson (who is an INCREDIBLY underrated fighter) but I never saw Collins as anything special.

He never appeared special to me either. But sometimes we miss things. JCC could look ordinary if you didn't take the time to really get to know. I've seen many people that consider Hatton a glorified club fighter while I think Hatton at his best had a clever approach and fantastic abilities. I could list tons of guys that may look ordinary to me or you but had a certain something that got it done. Joe Cs best wins are against guys that were diminished or at the end. Collins is just another in the long line with that distinction. I'm by no means arguing he was a world beater. Just saying what he did warrants discussion.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't know who he beat. He beat Eubank and Benn at the end of their careers, and who else? He lost to Reggie Johnson, he lost to the Body Snatcher (no shame there, another great underrated fighter), he lost to a washed up Kalambay... struggled with I guess fringe contender Tony Thornton...

JCC had the results to back up his legend. I just don't know what Steve Collins did? He missed out on the great 168 showdowns of the early 90s with Eubank, Benn, Watson, ect and just ate up the scraps that were left over.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe when he gets his "Grudge match" and KO's RJJ In round 1 ,that'll get him in! cos then we'll all forget that he beat Benn and Eubank when they were past their prime and bottled out of the Calzaghe fight because he knew he'd lose.
    I don't think anybody who gets in the ring is a coward, because it takes untold courage to get in there in the 1st place. None of them are scared of getting hurt, but that doesn't mean they're not scared of getting beat and ruining they're "mythical legacies".
    If you don't believe me, watch that "Gloves are off" again. Changing his story left,right and centre, it was cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen very little of Collins, but his resume is not HOF worthy imo.

Reggie "The Embezzler" Johnson was a fine Light Heavy. He holds a LEGIT knockdown of James Tony, which was once an incredible feat.

Watch what Roy Jones did to Reggie Johnson. Just shut him down from the get go.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He doesn't stink as much as Calzhage and not nearly as overrated.

At least he could punch instead of slap.

Thread Information