Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jones: We will weigh in at 168 then drink water and fight for the 175 ring title.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jones: We will weigh in at 168 then drink water and fight for the 175 ring title.

Calzaghe, whose only fight in the States was a Ring Magazine light-heavyweight title points victory over Bernard Hopkins in April, has suffered persistent hand injuries throughout his career.
    And Jones said: "I had originally proposed something kind of different for this fight.
    "That is that Joe and I would first weigh-in for the fight at 168lbs and fight for Joe's super-middleweight titles.
    "Then we would step off the scales, drink some water and weigh-in again at more than 168 so that we could also fight for Joe's Ring Magazine light-heavyweight title.
    "I only recall this happening once before, in the Leonard/Lalonde fight (in 198 and I think it would really add something unique to the promotion."
    Jones added: "Joe initially expressed concern about his ability to make 168 by September 19, but now that we have another seven weeks, I hope that he will go for it and that the WBA, WBO and the WBC will sanction it." The four-weight world champion Jones was set to be 36-year-old Calzaghe's last before he retires from his 15-year professional boxing career.

I dont know if this would get sanctioned?

Anyway with Hatton fighting PPV in November and Haye fighting in November this fight will not happen before December.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jones: We will weigh in at 168 then drink water and fight for the 175 ring title.

I have my doubts that it would get sanctioned, but it would add to the pantomine of the event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jones: We will weigh in at 168 then drink water and fight for the 175 ring title.

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post
    Anyway with Hatton fighting PPV in November and Haye fighting in November this fight will not happen before December.
    Word is this fight will be rescheduled for November 8. The Hatton fight isn't PPV in the US, at least. It's on regular HBO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Word is this fight will be rescheduled for November 8. The Hatton fight isn't PPV in the US, at least. It's on regular HBO.

Im not sure that the UKs 3 marque names would be allowed to fight within 2wks of each other, Hatton is ppv over here.

My bet is mid December.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not sure that the UKs 3 marque names would be allowed to fight within 2wks of each other, Hatton is ppv over here.

My bet is mid December.
    I think Sky are going to get the Calzaghe fight and put it on Sports 1 kind of as an appetiser for the Hatton PPV 2 weeks later. I personally am looking forward to the Jones-Calzaghe fight more than Hattons but he is such a big name in brithish boxing he will demand more PPV sales than Calzaghe even though he is fighting RJJ.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Calzaghe fight will be on Sky ppv too but probably won't happen till next year.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

My bet is mid December.
    I think Sky are going to get the Calzaghe fight and put it on Sports 1 kind of as an appetiser for the Hatton PPV 2 weeks later. I personally am looking forward to the Jones-Calzaghe fight more than Hattons but he is such a big name in brithish boxing he will demand more PPV sales than Calzaghe even though he is fighting RJJ.
    You can have 1000/1
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My bet is mid December.

Calzaghe is contracted to Setanta im afraid, which mean John Rawling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

My bet is mid December.
    You can have 1000/1
    Whats that odds(1000/1)price for??Im interested

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My bet is mid December.

Its Warren who is contracted to Setanta. Thats why Setanta have stopped saying "plus the next Joe Calzaghe fight". I heard Joe's in discussions with Sky and that could be part of the reason he got "injured". Also if HBO want the fight on November 8th then it will be then no matter what any britsh TV company say. Therefore if it does go through with Sky I really can't see them having both Hatton and Calzaghe on PPV in such a short time so they'll go with the one that will sell most which will probably be Hatton.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

You can have 1000/1
    Whats that odds(1000/1)price for??Im interested
    That the fight will be on in November, given away "free" by Sky.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its Warren who is contracted to Setanta. Thats why Setanta have stopped saying "plus the next Joe Calzaghe fight". I heard Joe's in discussions with Sky and that could be part of the reason he got "injured". Also if HBO want the fight on November 8th then it will be then no matter what any britsh TV company say. Therefore if it does go through with Sky I really can't see them having both Hatton and Calzaghe on PPV in such a short time so they'll go with the one that will sell most which will probably be Hatton.

Hope so! but i have a feeling that Calzaghe would have had to sign a contract with Setanta too. Im sure Setanta would have thought about just this thing coming up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hope so! but i have a feeling that Calzaghe would have had to sign a contract with Setanta too. Im sure Setanta would have thought about just this thing coming up.
    He could still end up with Setanta if they offer the best deal but he is not contracted to them. This is the exact way it is worded in Boxing news "Calzaghes recent split from sports network means he is no longer bound to Setanta, making both ITV and Sky Box Office viable options to televise the Jones match" (july 11th 2008 page 9) Well this was when it was set for sept 20 but now its looking like november if Sky offer the right amount he may well settle for Sky sports 1.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Getting back to the weight issue, I did not realise that Lalonde weighed at the super middle limit, I thought it was only Leonard? Also didn't Hearns beat him to it by a couple of days?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Getting back to the weight issue, I did not realise that Lalonde weighed at the super middle limit, I thought it was only Leonard? Also didn't Hearns beat him to it by a couple of days?
    I think it was a catchweight limit written into the contract

Thread Information