Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kessler: I fight like my (inspiration), De La Hoya, only I'm bigger & stronger!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kessler: I fight like my (inspiration), De La Hoya, only I'm bigger & stronger!

Kessler has promised a slaughter of his own as he finally gets his chance to impress the US audience on HBO’s Boxing After Dark series.

The Viking believes this is his big showcase fight. He said: “The American fans will really enjoy seeing my fights. I fight like my (inspiration), Oscar De La Hoya, only I am bigger and stronger than Oscar.

“I try and put together speed, skill and strength all at once in my fights. I want to show boxing fans around the world that I’m the best fighter in the division, the best in the world. If Calzaghe will not fight me, other top fighters will. I will fight anyone, anytime and I will travel anywhere in the world to prove I am the best.”

That’s not just an empty boast, according to his promoter.

Full read here: http://www.secondsout.com/headlines/...s=532&cs=21686

Now...that being read...does anyone agree?

Does Kessler fight like Oscar? Does he have the drive? The heart?

I think...YES.

Maybe not the same skill level...but he's got heart & he seems damned determined.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kessler: I fight like my (inspiration), De La Hoya, only I'm bigger & stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Kessler has promised a slaughter of his own as he finally gets his chance to impress the US audience on HBO’s Boxing After Dark series.

The Viking believes this is his big showcase fight. He said: “The American fans will really enjoy seeing my fights. I fight like my (inspiration), Oscar De La Hoya, only I am bigger and stronger than Oscar.

“I try and put together speed, skill and strength all at once in my fights. I want to show boxing fans around the world that I’m the best fighter in the division, the best in the world. If Calzaghe will not fight me, other top fighters will. I will fight anyone, anytime and I will travel anywhere in the world to prove I am the best.”

I think...YES.

Maybe not the same skill level...but he's got heart & he seems damned determined.
    In terms of the jab & straight right, maybe he does fight like DLH.... Hasn't shown the left hook Oscar has, that's for sure... Right now, at best, Id say he has the potential to come close... He would also need to show a chin, and heart beyond what he has.. I guess fair play to Kessler for looking up to DLH, hopefully he takes the same attitidue with regards to fighting the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kessler: I fight like my (inspiration), De La Hoya, only I'm bigger & stronger!

The problem as I see it that Danish fighters in generel are over protected, so is has taken Kessler far to long to get to this level. DLH records speaks for themselves the quality and time of fighters he have meet. While Kessler wasted years fighting hardpicked opponents that didn't challenge or pushed Kessler to the limit. Against Andrade we will see if Kessler is as great as I hope he is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking

I think...YES.

In terms of the jab & straight right, maybe he does fight like DLH.... Hasn't shown the left hook Oscar has, that's for sure... Right now, at best, Id say he has the potential to come close... He would also need to show a chin, and heart beyond what he has.. I guess fair play to Kessler for looking up to DLH, hopefully he takes the same attitidue with regards to fighting the best.
    Agreed.

Thing is...I don't know that he's gonna be too succuessful in fighting the best as I'm not really that sure that the best will fight him.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Things may prove to be more rewarding up at light-heavy?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie
    Things may prove to be more rewarding up at light-heavy?
    Yep...that's pretty much the only options left (if Calzaghe passes) for mega money.

I am sure that if Kess wins another strap or inherits one that is vacated then he can stay in Denmark & earn much cash defending his straps just as Joe did.

It all depends on the man.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure that if Kess wins another strap or inherits one that is vacated then he can stay in Denmark & earn much cash defending his straps just as Joe did.
    The thought depresses me deeply Wack.

Mind you, on second thoughts, Adamek himself is a European. Woods, im sure, wouldn't mind a trip to the land of Carlsberg and Dawson might be considerd ellite just in time for Kessler to find his own "career defining fight".
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is this Kessler guy, anyway?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh.

So you NOT Royal
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think...YES.

I think he fights like OScar... that's exactly who I think he fights like, except that he is got a better right hand. I think he is a little bit slower than Oscar p4p, but not any less skilled.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kessler: I fight like my (inspiration), De La Hoya, only I'm bigger & strong

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking

I think...YES.

That's the thing, Kessler's skilled, but like ODLH he's not unhittable, he's not Pernell Whitaker or Floyd. So how good of a chin he has will make a big difference, I mean Oscar's very skilled but having a great chin took him to another level, cause he's been hit with some hard, flush shots over his career by good punchers. Everything looks good for Kessler but it will be interesting to see how he reacts if he starts getting hit by a strong puncher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the difference is skill vs. athleticism. P4P Oscar had more power, speed, etc., but Kessler is the better boxer IMO. He is more versatile, but he has also fought worse openents which makes him look better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when I'd browse this forum I'd see this person named royal and all these other people claiming kessler in god-like status and i really dont like him anymore because of those "fans" nothing to do with him, but it makes me wanna see him lose so they will go away...
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    I think the difference is skill vs. athleticism. P4P Oscar had more power, speed, etc., but Kessler is the better boxer IMO. He is more versatile, but he has also fought worse openents which makes him look better.
    Of course you do, Taeth - Kessler is more modern that ODLH. I have yet to see you favour any boxer in history over a current one.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not at all. ODLH only had one hand. I believe his athletic abilities have more to do with it than his skill, but he has been getting better. I don't think Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr. at least I don't think he would beat him p4p. I know your joking, but I am serious Kessler is very good. Look how he did against Mundine's speed. Look how Oscar did against Gatti even. IF he didn't have his chin he might have lost that fight. People don't take into consideration how important things like speed, and power are.

Thread Information