Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with Keith "One Time" Thurman?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What's up with Keith "One Time" Thurman?

He's touted as the next big thing at 147 and he continues to face guys outside of the top ten. He hasn't faced a real top challenger in his entire career. It's almost inexplicable. Does his team know something that we don't know and that is why they match him easily, or is it that he simply can't get big fights in his weight division, like Gennady Golovkin? It's tough to say because PBC has such a deep cast at 147 that it makes you wonder whether it's the former. Compare who he could face--Porter, Khan, Broner, Garcia, Spence, Brook, Maidana etc.--with who is facing and has faced--Collazo, Guerrero, Bundu, Zavek, Chaves. His choice of Collazo makes me scratch my head. Porter, who is in the same stage developmentally, has now faced Brook, Alexander and Broner. Why are they treating Thurman with comparative kid gloves?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's up with Keith "One Time" Thurman?

Thurman has been calling these top guys out for years now, and none of them will step up.

They're all chasing the big Mayweather or Pac fight, and Thurman is just too much risk for too little reward.

He's called out Mayweather, Pac, Khan, Maidana, Devon Alexander, Adrien Broner (before the Maidana loss), Malignaggi (when he was a champ), ect. I don't think it's fair to assume the reason why he's not fighting big fights is because he doesn't want the big fights.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook is the same. Bags of talent but he's putting his career on hold for Khan, who's putting his career on hold for Mayweather.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Brook is the same. Bags of talent but he's putting his career on hold for Khan, who's putting his career on hold for Mayweather.
    Brook faced Porter though, who is tougher than anyone Khan has faced at 147, and tougher than anyone Thurman has faced in his career. He shouldn't continue to face the Gavin Rees' of the world forever, but the Porter win is legit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Thurman has been calling these top guys out for years now, and none of them will step up.

They're all chasing the big Mayweather or Pac fight, and Thurman is just too much risk for too little reward.

He's called out Mayweather, Pac, Khan, Maidana, Devon Alexander, Adrien Broner (before the Maidana loss), Malignaggi (when he was a champ), ect. I don't think it's fair to assume the reason why he's not fighting big fights is because he doesn't want the big fights.
    With Haymon backing him, it's questionable that he hasn't fought someone notable. He has the money to pay for the fights.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He beat Guerrero which was a step in the right direction and now he's fighting Calazo which makes no sense to me. Let him fight Berto atleast. Maybe after Calazo he gets Porter.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no problems with Collazo as an opponent. Collazo is a decent fighter and has some name recognition.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't knock a guy for trying and as far as charisma and media push he's doing all the right things. The kid has that flash and if not for boxing he would be gold as a professional wrestler . Guerrero was respectable and more importantly a guy who made Thurman learn, same with Bundu even though I thought Keith looked like Peter Pan. Chaves was an unknown toughie but proved ok'ish of a run with Bradley, Rios and now again with Alexander. Disappointed in the Collazo showcase and I think that's the only reason its made. Collazo is class but he's faded and vs Khan looked absolutely clueless, slugging and nothing like he once did. JUst a keep busy and probably a return to power display this weekend, then with Spence jr, Bradley, Khan, Porter, Brook, Maidana, the ghost of Berto and Mayweather this division seems primed for some explosions.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Brook faced Porter though, who is tougher than anyone Khan has faced at 147, and tougher than anyone Thurman has faced in his career. He shouldn't continue to face the Gavin Rees' of the world forever, but the Porter win is legit.
    I get what you're saying but Khan's record is pretty decent. At 140 he beat Paulie, Maidana, Kotelnik, Judah and in moving up his wins over Alexander and Collazo were both dominant. Brook and Thurman have both talked shit about Khan's opposition but Maidana in particular is a better opponent than either of them have beaten at this point.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get what you're saying but Khan's record is pretty decent. At 140 he beat Paulie, Maidana, Kotelnik, Judah and in moving up his wins over Alexander and Collazo were both dominant. Brook and Thurman have both talked shit about Khan's opposition but Maidana in particular is a better opponent than either of them have beaten at this point.
    Also while Porter was a decent victory for Brook, Dan and Gavin are a backwards step. Dan I accept was a mandatory but Gavin was nowhere near that level. Thurman is doing the same things. Running thriugh the gatekeepers but aint fighting the big names.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once the Floyd sweepstakes is over, we'll start to see more of the other bigger names and up-and-comers go head to head with one another.

Broner vs Porter was a huge step in the right direction. The fight was shit, but at least they actually fought.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where is Maidana?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Off enjoying his Mayweather money. Apparently he's gotten really fat. Like Erik Morales fat. Ricky Hatton fat.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Collazo fight is a joke. Collazo made Amir Khan look like SRR, is a recovering alcoholic making a comeback because he can't handle civilian life. He doesn't even have a puncher's chance. I'd rather see Thurman in with Randall Bailey. Premier Boxing Champions my arse.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also while Porter was a decent victory for Brook, Dan and Gavin are a backwards step. Dan I accept was a mandatory but Gavin was nowhere near that level. Thurman is doing the same things. Running thriugh the gatekeepers but aint fighting the big names.
    Khan has a much better ledger than Brook on a whole. At 147 though Porter is a better win than Khan has earned. It'll be disappointing if Brook faces another Dan or Rees in his next fight. Rios wasn't a bad choice of opponent. Bradley would be terrific.

Thurman needs to keep moving on an upward trajectory. Collazo is at best stepping laterally, and probably stepping backward. It makes you wonder whether he is really the goods or they are protecting him.

Thread Information