Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotto-Margarito: A boxing-rich rivalry continues.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto-Margarito: A boxing-rich rivalry continues.

If and when Cotto and Margarito square off, it'll be the latest in a series of classic battles over the years between boxing-rich countries Puerto Rico and Mexico. These two countries have had their share of epic battles over the years.

Gomez-Zarate
    Sanchez-Gomez
    Chavez-Rosario
    Trinidad-Campas
    Trinidad-Vargas
    .... among others

Few events stir up emotions down here like a good Puerto Rican - Mexican championship fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto-Margarito: A boxing-rich rivalry continues.

The best boxing rivalry and I love it even though I'm neither from PR or Mexico:they just produce my fave fighters! And that trend looks to continue because Tony and Cotto are my 2 favourite fighters right now!! Tony has to win and I have to see the fight! Before the Zab fight,I'd say TOny was the favourite but now I'd say it was 0-50/55-45 to Tony.

They are easily the 2 best WW imo.

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's gonna be a hell of an entertaining fight, regardless. They both come to fight. I'd give Cotto the edge, basically because I think he's got the faster hands. Tony's usually pretty busy in the ring, but Cotto threw a hell of a lot of punches himself in the Judah fight. Anyway, when that goes down, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat, as I usually am for these PR-Mexico epic battles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito and Cotto are two of my favs. I'm not even sure who I'd be for, but I hope they fight more than once. This could be an all time trilogy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me too my man,I just hope Tony takes care of business v PW. PW v Cotto does not have that same feel to it,that same buzz around it. Yeah,because I like both guys so much,I don't mind who wins so much although I think I'd be cheering for Margarito a teeny bit more since he hardly gets the respect he deserves.

I agree,Cotto's hands are faster,and he has a great target with Tony's body but Cotto is also wide open to Margarito's uppercuts and I think Margarito is much much bigger and stronger than anyone else Cotto has faced. He's more experienced at WW too and although I was astounded by Cotto's stamina v Zab,Margarito's stamina is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by the wiz
    Margarito and Cotto are two of my favs. I'm not even sure who I'd be for, but I hope they fight more than once. This could be an all time trilogy
    CC my man,I agree. I also want them to fight because I'd feel vindicated in the sense that I have supported them for a long time. For Cotto,it would silence all those that say he has a weak chin,wouldnt get far etc. Even more so for Tony,whom people say is a bum(obviously don't know much about him/not seen him fight many times),it would prove that I was right in backing him as the main man at WW.

ICB Guest

Tony throws incredible amount of power shots Cotto will be badly rocked in this fight and possibly put down but Cotto has enough in him to win a decision or late tko and yes good list Titofan didn't think of it that way cc all those were classics and Margarito vs Cotto will be a classic im certain of it how can it not be ??

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Tony throws incredible amount of power shots Cotto will be badly rocked in this fight and possibly put down but Cotto has enough in him to win a decision or late tko and yes good list Titofan didn't think of it that way cc all those were classics and Margarito vs Cotto will be a classic im certain of it how can it not be ??
    Thanks Ice, cc back. I'm certain I've missed a few other classics. It seems not too many years go by before we get one of these epic battles. And because boxing fans are so intense in both these places, these fights usually bring a LOT of electricity into the arena.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My wife works for Dish,when one of these things are on ppv,they have to put on extra staff.
    For some odd reason the only other thing that creates that sort of passion is Pakistani/Indian customers,and cricket
    Go figure

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    My wife works for Dish,when one of these things are on ppv,they have to put on extra staff.
    For some odd reason the only other thing that creates that sort of passion is Pakistani/Indian customers,and cricket
    Go figure
    That IS interesting. Whereabouts do u live, TM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    Go figure
    WV but its a national call center,shes told me that right before a Pakistan National match,the phones go nuts with guys who cant figure out how to order it.
    I wouldnt have figured it either
    And hell you find a way to wheel Camacho out to get creamed by Barrerra,put it on PPV,and theyd have to put on extra staff for the night

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    Go figure
    WV but its a national call center,shes told me that right before a Pakistan National match,the phones go nuts with guys who cant figure out how to order it.
    I wouldnt have figured it either
    And hell you find a way to wheel Camacho out to get creamed by Barrerra,put it on PPV,and theyd have to put on extra staff for the night
    LOL......... that's the ONE match where I'd be rooting for the other side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what sells in boxing...fighter that come to fight that have something more to fight for besides money "(PBF) oops did I say that." MEX-PR rivalry...It doesn't get any better. It's all about pride!!!! That's what makes boxing great to watch. Vargas and Tito was a perfect example! 2 men who didn't want to be called the punk or the chicken!!great fight! Awesome rivalry. Cotto wins a slugfest by throwing more than Margarito and out hustling him!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another fight to remember between the two countries, Gomez-Pintor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just want to throw in some more fights in reguards to the rivalry

Chavez v.s Camacho (MEX)
    Camacho v.s DLH (MEX)
    DLH v.s John John Molina (MEX)
    DLH v.s. Wilfredo Rivera (MEX)
    W. Rivera v.s Vargas (MEX)
    Tito v.s Oscar ( boring but was still a great build-up) (PR)
    Margarito v.s k. Cintron (MEX)
    Margarito v.s Santos (PR)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can still remember being a kid and "watching" the Camacho vs Chavez fight. I'm Puerto Rican, but lived in Cali since I was about 4 or 5. Back then if you didn't buy it, the PPV channels still came in blurry. You would still hear the commentary and catch an occasional glimpse of action here and there. My dad, little brother and myself were all crowded around for 12 rounds of agony. I hate to say it, but I couldn't stand Camacho after that fight, and I was only 10 or 11 at the time. I'm in the minority over here so when there's a big PR vs Mex fight it's a huge deal for me. When we lose I hear about if for awhile.

P.S. I put in a petition for all PR's to disown Cintron!
    I know everything about nothing!

Thread Information