0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Recently defeated Byrd now targets cruiserweight title

Byrd now targets cruiserweight title

http://secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=19295

By Ant Evans: Vanquished former two-time heavyweight champion Chris Byrd, who was brutally alleviated of his IBF world title by Wladimir Klitschko in Germany last weekend, is now considering his options in boxing. When a 35-year-old takes the kind of beating Byrd did in those one-sided rounds v Klitschko, the subject of retirement is always on the agenda but Byrd's long-time lawyer and advisor, John Hornewer, told SecondsOut that an intriguing jump down in division to cruiserweight could be the exit strategy for the former WBO and IBF heavyweight champ.

Hornewer said: "If with his style and sheer size Wladimir is the one guy who Chris can't beat with his size and style - then so be it. Wlad is the only active heavyweight to have beaten Chris, and when you look at both fighters, I don't think there's any shame in that.

"The future depends on what Chris believes he should do but, after medical tests to make sure he's ok, if he want to continue there are big fights he will still win with his skills. Chris would beat James Toney, Antonio Tarver or Joe Mesi and we could also go down to cruiserweight and fight (undisputed 200lbs king) O'Neil Bell."

Evander Holyfield, whom Byrd outpointed in 2002, is currently the only fighter to ever win cruiserweight and heavyweight titles. Hornewer believes his client could join the future Hall of Famer - only going down, not up, in weight division.

Hornewer is confident that Byrd, now 35, could slim down to 200lbs despite the Flint born southpaw not weighing anything like that weight since the mid-1990s.

"Oh, sure Chris could make cruiserweight," he said. "Absolutely. Chris is really a light heavyweight or cruiserweight anyway, he's been fighting above his natural weight for years and I don't think he's got the credit he deserves for doing that. When (former middleweights) like James Toney or Roy Jones do it (fight heavyweights) it's incredible (in the eyes of the media and public) but Chris has beaten more top heavyweights than both of them and he started off as a middleweight, too."

The lawyer believes that Bell, who is anxious to cash in on his big win over Jean Marc Mormeck January, would be very tempted to fight Byrd. "It would make sense for him because what other big fights are there for him right now? And it would make sense for us because it was hard enough getting heavyweights to step up to fight Chris even when he had the IBF title!"

But whether Byrd remains at heavyweight, challenges Bell or simply retires from boxing with a 39-3-1 record and as a two-time heavyweight champ, Hornewer is immensely proud of his work with a David who beat a battalion of Goliaths.

He said: "I will always be proud of Chris, no matter what. Losing to Klitschko - there's no shame in that although I'm disappointed - although nowhere as near as Chris is - that he abandoned the gameplan after one round. De La Hoya isn't terrible because he lost to Mosley twice. I have never done better work with a client and have never had such a positive relationship with a client in my 20 years in boxing. Chris is a great guy, and this has been a most fulfilling 10 years working with him and watching someone simply overachieve in a sport that is entirely unforgiving."

Great idea for Chris.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Recently defeated Byrd now targets cruiserweight title

You know what......?

In all fairness, i may of just discoverd a slight foundness for Chris Byrd's Contining Career.

Chris Byrd at Cruiserweight is something that may just breath some "Hype" 2 the Cruiserweight division.

With the Heavyweight division becoming forever more mundane ...

Maybe, in a couple of years time, the favour will be returned!?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JimBoogie
    You know what......?

In all fairness, i may of just discoverd a slight foundness for Chris Byrd's Contining Career.

Chris Byrd at Cruiserweight is something that may just breath some "Hype" 2 the Cruiserweight division.

Agreed. I like Chris Byrd...no shat...I aint ashamed to admit it.

Byrd is a fantastic fighter...I hope & wish that he gains loads of success at Cruiser...I'd love to see him breathe life into the division.

I've always said that he's good for boxing now he has a chance to prove me right.

**Whatever the fwock that meant...heh heh heh.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I allready like Cruiser weight ( ) and I like Chris Byrd ( )

It should be a good fight and its a good move for Chris if the fight comes off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd love to see him move down. It would be really interesting for him to be a big man in a division.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.... he'll probably continue to punch like a girl though
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.... he'll probably continue to punch like a girl though
    I remember when that big girly puch rocked the hell out of David Tua. Not too bad for a small guy.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hehe, Tua is an ox of a fighter, The imovable object... Ask Lennox
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    You know what......?

Agreed. I like Chris Byrd...no shat...I aint ashamed to admit it.

Byrd is a fantastic fighter...I hope & wish that he gains loads of success at Cruiser...I'd love to see him breathe life into the division.

I've always said that he's good for boxing now he has a chance to prove me right.

**Whatever the fwock that meant...heh heh heh.
    Byrd does better hope that Calzaghe does not go up to cruiser and stop Byrd one more time as he did in the amateurs :-D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe may have defeated Byrd in amatuers, but that was amatuers. Byrd would hammer Calzaghe right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

maybe he can fight like Tom Cruise at Cruiserweight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

full respect to byrd. in his heavyweight fights he was more often than not against men that were much bigger than him. if he can get down to cruiser which is very possible then he could win another belt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I recently suggested this very idea on a different boxing forum, and some guy said that Byrd had 10% body fat weighing 210 lbs. I figured that he was just spewing out some nonsense since 10% body fat is very low even for athletes. I remember Bo Jackson having around 8%:

http://fauvecreations.com/pix/murgal...Bo-Jackson.jpg

In any case, if Byrd is motivated to go back down to cruiserweight I think he would be a serious force in the division. If Vassily Jirov could do it why not Chris Byrd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mokele
    I recently suggested this very idea on a different boxing forum, and some guy said that Byrd had 10% body fat weighing 210 lbs. I figured that he was just spewing out some nonsense since 10% body fat is very low even for athletes. I remember Bo Jackson having around 8%:

http://fauvecreations.com/pix/murgal...Bo-Jackson.jpg

In any case, if Byrd is motivated to go back down to cruiserweight I think he would be a serious force in the division. If Vassily Jirov could do it why not Chris Byrd?

Byrd had %10 fat at 210 ? ? ? Maybe before . . . Not at all in Klitscko fight he had more then %10 fat at his body by Wladimir2 . . . But if u say that Wladimir have %10 fat agreed or even %5 . . . Wladimir have just muscles how i now like Lewis had . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that sounds like a good idea, he was a very good heavyweight though......good luck

Thread Information