Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should Degale turn pro?

I think he should and have no doubt Warren has already had a "word" with him....
    BBC SPORT | Olympics | Boxing | DeGale torn over future direction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should Degale turn pro?

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I think he should and have no doubt Warren has already had a "word" with him....
    BBC SPORT | Olympics | Boxing | DeGale torn over future direction

Alright they mate.I hear that Oscar de la hoya is interested in Degale to!I reckon he'll turn pro with the money being so great.It'll be far too hard to turn that kind of money away.I mean he has achieved the best prize of the games and theres titles to be had in the paid ranks,plus he's 22 year old which means he'll be at least 26 when the 2012 London games kick off.And if he fancies turning pro then,then i think he'll have left it too late.Fours years is to long to wait for another Gold.If i were him now,i'd have a family holiday aboard somewhere to think things over and to clear my mind then when i get back i'd see which promoter is offering the best contract and then go from there.

I've just had a thought but Hattons New promotion might be interested in him.
    Last edited by yvonne; 08-26-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its a tough one, if he does stay for the olympics and gets gold in london 2012 the rewards will be mega! But saying that would he even qualify with maybe better youngsters coming through in the next few years. And if he turned pro the financial rewards will be big, i know odh is talking to frankie gavin so will be interested in degale after picking up gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by saturday_kid View Post
    its a tough one, if he does stay for the olympics and gets gold in london 2012 the rewards will be mega! But saying that would he even qualify with maybe better youngsters coming through in the next few years. And if he turned pro the financial rewards will be big, i know odh is talking to frankie gavin so will be interested in degale after picking up gold.

He has to go Pro, no guarantee he will get to the games and if he does i think it will be long odds to repeat gold again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hes no bum, but i don;t think he is that great, and with the $1mill on offer for him t turn pro no doubt he should. if he doesnt he will be like 27 before he first pro fight, way to late to turn pro, way to late.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did notice he does not like getting tagged at all.
    Suspect Chin?
    Maybe....but he has to turn Pro i reckon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Strike while the irons hot, plus he needs to get out of the amateur habits before they get ingrained forever.

As for his chin, impossible to gauge how much of a punch he can physically take, but he doesn't seem to like to mix it up too much, seems quite common in succesful ameteurs as the hit and run tactic is rewarded in the scoring system. Audley wanted to be heavy champ without taking a punch, and I have an inkling Khan's philosyphy is quite similar and neither has overcome that aspect of their game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he should go pro.He might stop around for London games and not win and that would be 4years wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah and also he might not even make the olympics who knows what other athletes will come through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Should Degale turn pro?

Obviousley its going to be purely down to money. I think he will turn pro, alhough his open style of fighting will need to change in the pro-ranks. Quick handspeed and think he could do well toe to toe, but only time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My heart says stay amateur and my head says turn pro. I would love it for us to have an Olympic champion defend his title at home. What a lift it would be. It would get people interested in boxing who maybe wouldn't have been.

Having said that a likely £1m to turn pro is a huge temptation, He could suffer a career ending injury in the four years between now and 2012 and then the chance of a life time is gone. The other problem is that amateur boxing is moving further and further away from pro boxing with the scoring system and the rules. I think it is becoming so much more difficult now for amateurs to convert to the proffesional arena. (see the comments about audley and Amir not liking to get hit further up in this thread).

It is now a real issue that if he stays amateur for another 4 years the process of unlearning the amateur game and learning the pro game will be difficult.

The money/sponsorship needs to be increased to compensate guys like Degale to make staying amateur a choice that will not leave him in an unstable financial position. We are way behind the majority of the rest of the world when it comes to financing our amateur heroes. Who ever is in charge of the budget needs to realise this.

26 is not too old for Degale to turn pro and to defend gold in the Olympics in your own country, without trying to sound like a cliche, is something money just can't buy.

I wish him luck which ever road he takes.
    Last edited by Shamrock; 08-28-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Long hours resutling in shocking spelling...
    'To speak with his equal and irish man is forced to talk with God...'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    My heart says stay amateur and my head says turn pro. I would love it for us to have an Olympic champion defen his title at home. What a lift it would be. It would get people interested in boxing who maybe wouldn't have been.

Having said that a likely £1m to turn pro is a huge temptation, He could suffer a career ending injury in the four years between now and 2012 and then the chance of a life time is gone. The other problem is that amateur boxing is moving further and further away from pro boxing with the scoring system and the rules. I think it is becoming so much more difficult now for amateurs to convert to the proffesional arena. (see the comments about audley and Amir not liking to get hit further up in this thread).

It is now a real issue that if he stays amateur for another 4 years the process of unlearning the amateur game and learning the pro game will be difficult.

The money/sponsorship needs to be increased to compensate guys like Degale to make staying amateur a choice that will not leave him in an unstable financial position. We are way behind the majority of the rest of the world when it comes to financing our amateur heroes. Who ever is in charge of the budget needs to realise this.

26 is not too old for Degale to turn pro and to defend gold in the Olympics in your own country, without trying to sound like a cliche, is something money just can't buy.

I wish him look whichever road he takes.
    Some good points there mate.I understand were your coming from.It would been great for him to do both but cant see him managing both contest.The pro game is so differant from Amateur.Like i mentioned earlier that Degale has do what all boxers would love to do before turning pro by winning GOLD so if i was in his shoes i would turn pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not, the money will be excellent. Unlike other posters on here though i think Degale does have a style suited to the pros. People love the hands down approach. To me he looked like a poor man Pernell Whittaker.
    Cash in kid, you deserved it, you got the gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by motorcityhitman View Post
    Why not, the money will be excellent. Unlike other posters on here though i think Degale does have a style suited to the pros. People love the hands down approach. To me he looked like a poor man Pernell Whittaker.
    Cash in kid, you deserved it, you got the gold.
    There's more to life than money fella Just ask Tefolio Stevenson....

I know what you're saying though the temptation to go for it while he's the man of the moment must be huge.
    'To speak with his equal and irish man is forced to talk with God...'

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The saying, never go over old ground. I dont think He should a lot happens in four years. Go Pro is my advice, He will make a good one I like thinking Fighters, plus He knows How to lose and come back.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information