Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ideas about recuperating from a sprain

About 4 weeks ago I sprained my ankle during a sparring session. So far I've been using the RICE protocol. I still immerse my ankle in a small tub of water and use a heating pad.

I've also bought an Arnica/witch-hazel gel last week to promote healing. I gently stretch it when I can. I figure that it'll take time, caution and doing what I've been doing to become fully healed.

I'm also curious about what you've done to get over similar injuries, and perhaps there could be something more that I could do.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ideas about recuperating from a sprain

Get used to shaving to the top of your shins and tape it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    My ankle has become good enough to walk on although I still feel a dull pain. It still isn't good enough to pivot on, or even stand on with my heel raised. It'll be a while before I'll be able bounce on my feet.

I haven't been sparring the last few weeks, but I do plan on sparring tomorrow, albeit a little flatfooted. By the way, I've recently bought a ankle brace, it's an insert that sort of resembles a laced up boot with the toes cut off.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    My ankle has become good enough to walk on although I still feel a dull pain. It still isn't good enough to pivot on, or even stand on with my heel raised. It'll be a while before I'll be able bounce on my feet.

I haven't been sparring the last few weeks, but I do plan on sparring tomorrow, albeit a little flatfooted. By the way, I've recently bought a ankle brace, it's an insert that sort of resembles a laced up boot with the toes cut off.
    I have one of those too,Id still go with having it taped.Ive got a bum ankle,and every time I tried to avoid having it taped up,Id only hurt it worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or to put it another way,a very wise man that I respect alot once told me,"I am a prime example of how not to play this game" when he started getting up there and getting hurt,because he wouldnt let injuries heal when he was younger.
    I ignored him because I was young and stupid,so I ended it up clutching my ankle on the ground in more then one martial situation. And it only got worse every time I hurt it.Im a wee bit pigheaded,after I broke my right wrist,by having a stave of rattan smack in to it I fought left handed for a year rather then quit
    I pass his words on to you,with an admonition to just have it taped first

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll see about that, I'm just not sure on how to tape it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris, Im always talking about feel, you have just given a prime example of not listening to the body. How bad is the ankle ,did it swell, discolour. There are things can be done with a soccer Ball tell me more.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Better still a balling Ball.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daont ask me im sitting here with two chairs typing left handed right hand soaking inbucket of epson salts hurt root of little finger cant move it or the ring finger without much pain, funny thig is gets worse during the night. when i damaged it didnt know i had, kept working fine, after weekends rest and no problem for two days its come on me and its got worse each day now . I'm
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is nothing better than ice for the swelling and an elasticated bandage for support and ofcourse plenty of rest..

I've just gotten over a severe sprain that took me around 10 weeks to get over fully!!So Don't rush to get back otherwise you can do more damage as I did...it will heal naturally and quicker if you leave it alone!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Chris, Im always talking about feel, you have just given a prime example of not listening to the body. How bad is the ankle ,did it swell, discolour. There are things can be done with a soccer Ball tell me more.
    My ankle is a lot better now than it was before. It was swollen, and bruised all the way from my toes to half-way up my shin. I've been taking things relatively easy for the last few weeks, and since it's been healing I've been gradually getting back into into my training. The flexibility is returning by-and-by. I'm working around it the best that I can and I'm avoiding any exercises that involve any impact. I'm interested in how a soccer ball could help, perhaps working on feel, and stretching?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Better still a balling Ball.
    A bowling ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Daont ask me im sitting here with two chairs typing left handed right hand soaking inbucket of epson salts hurt root of little finger cant move it or the ring finger without much pain, funny thig is gets worse during the night. when i damaged it didnt know i had, kept working fine, after weekends rest and no problem for two days its come on me and its got worse each day now . I'm
    When I posted this thread earlier I had my foot soaking in bucket of hot water. Does the epson salts help any? Did this happen at your work? I remember before that you had something drop on on your big toe and you said that it had it's own heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo2 View Post
    There is nothing better than ice for the swelling and an elasticated bandage for support and ofcourse plenty of rest..

I've just gotten over a severe sprain that took me around 10 weeks to get over fully!!So Don't rush to get back otherwise you can do more damage as I did...it will heal naturally and quicker if you leave it alone!
    That's rough, I've taken it relatively easy for the last few weeks, and I'm eager to get back into my training I'm bummed out that I missed out in a recent exhibition. I'll be cautious to not stress it, but I'm gradually getting back into my exercise as it gets better.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 02-09-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris, you need a bucket of dry sand and a football, or bowling Ball when youve got them Ill pm you what to do

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Chris,
    I'm one of those "willowy" framed guys.
    That means I've got skinny calves and narrow ankles, so I'm susceptible to sprained ankles.

As a preventitive measure I got one of those flattened gym balls or a bosu ball similar to that in this picture, although ideally I prefer an actual flattened ball.

I then simulate a run lifting the ankles, before I switch to a roll, forcing yourself to balance your weight.

Hey, but the best thing I've found.....ask Scrap about the board in the centre.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sprained my ankle yesterday, swollen up but feeling better already. Did not put ice on it or cream. Just left it alone and let nature take its course.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information