Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default want to box but scared

ive always wanted to fight but have always been too scared....scared to fight on street --ever since i was a kid im 32 now and very successful career, family--except ive always had low self esteem and i am having a hard time shaking the fact ive been a coward most of my life theres good boxing gym where i live and a new co-worker i have befriended, who is a former boxer, says he'll join with me. i really want to give it a shot and try to exocise these demons once and for all. im a goog athlete, former college baskeball player, 6'3 about 255 lbs and in decent shape. ive done alot of weightlifting and am pretty strong

should i give it a try or is it too late?

ant serious responses/advice

thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: want to box but scared

honestly, if you already have the ''scared'' attitude then you're in for a shock. You wouldn't be sparring right away if you went to the gym, you'd work on technique and fundamentals and all that good stuff.. The trainer's won't let you spar until they're positive you can defend yourself in the ring. But you have to first get over the fact that you're going to get hit in the face, and it doesn't feel good haha. You'd be worked in slowly, first starting with light sparring, but if you are ''scared'' to get hit in the face then you're gonna have a lot of trouble gaining confidence.

On the other hand, we don't all go to the boxing gym to become world champs, and boxing is one of the best workouts. So if you just want to go there, and hit the bag and shadowbox and just use it more for exercise then it's never too late to do that.. but anything past that, you really can't be scared to get hit, it will mess up anything you have going for you, and im speaking from experience of feeling that way before i went to the gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like a good opponent for Wlad. Seriously dude, all the best luck. Try it once, you'll find out real quick if it's for you. Good luck!!
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once a coward, always a coward. Do your family a favor and stay out the ring

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate there are many ways to fight ,some styles like Ju jitsu are a combination of things that work probably better than boxing in a street situation or for protecting loved ones etc.
    Different horses for different courses.
    My bet is that if tested you'd be a demon protecting the ones you love.
    Just dont call it into being bro!
    Give thanks for what you got intead of concentrating on any negatives and it will continue.
    In life we attract what we fear or we get what we concentrate on fully in order to out weigh our fears.
    Boxing will be fun for you, just turning up to do it is the hardest thing for anyone to do ;especially continually!
    Being there is fun then you get tested and if its still fun then it becomes addictive.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsteel
    ive always wanted to fight but have always been too scared....scared to fight on street --ever since i was a kid im 32 now and very successful career, family--except ive always had low self esteem and i am having a hard time shaking the fact ive been a coward most of my life theres good boxing gym where i live and a new co-worker i have befriended, who is a former boxer, says he'll join with me. i really want to give it a shot and try to exocise these demons once and for all. im a goog athlete, former college baskeball player, 6'3 about 255 lbs and in decent shape. ive done alot of weightlifting and am pretty strong

should i give it a try or is it too late?

ant serious responses/advice

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Once a coward, always a coward. Do your family a favor and stay out the ring

And If you are having any other self esteem issues that need instant counciling buy the Book.......Just recently out in Paper Back......

Are You worthless and a Coward

25 ways to kill yourself painlessly and rid your family of all it's shame!!

By Dr. Violent Demise Phd

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can always do what Kramer did on Seinfeld when he joined the Karate class.

My Father, the huge Ali fan, put me in Boxing when I was 5. I stuck with it until I was 16. After I broke my hand for the third time in two years I gave it up. My bones just could not take it!hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's normal to feel scared. EVERYONE who has EVER fought has been scared. If they tell otherwise, its a guarantee that they are lying. It is part of normal human emotion. I started late myself and am now your age; If you are looking to turn pro then, while it's never too late for anything, you are not going to have a highly succerssful career. But if you just want to get into an amateur fight or even get your name in the books as having at least 1 fight, go for it! Any initial fears you may have will fade, and you will actually build up tons of confidence as you move along in your training. The key is finding yourself a good gym with a good staff that will help and encourage you along the way.

As far as the fear part, read Teddy Atlas' book. While many arent a fan of his and the book's stories seem to be a bit over the top, he addresses the fear issue many times and has many insightful opinions on it.

Good luck and ignore those who try to discourage you in it. It comes down to what YOU want to do and the only person that can make it happen is YOURSELF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasm
    It's normal to feel scared. EVERYONE who has EVER fought has been scared. If they tell otherwise, its a guarantee that they are lying. It is part of normal human emotion. I started late myself and am now your age; If you are looking to turn pro then, while it's never too late for anything, you are not going to have a highly succerssful career. But if you just want to get into an amateur fight or even get your name in the books as having at least 1 fight, go for it! Any initial fears you may have will fade, and you will actually build up tons of confidence as you move along in your training. The key is finding yourself a good gym with a good staff that will help and encourage you along the way.

As far as the fear part, read Teddy Atlas' book. While many arent a fan of his and the book's stories seem to be a bit over the top, he addresses the fear issue many times and has many insightful opinions on it.

Good luck and ignore those who try to discourage you in it. It comes down to what YOU want to do and the only person that can make it happen is YOURSELF.

CC good advice.....Your are absolutely correct almost anyone with a normal train of thought that is has been scared when it comes to a fight in the ring or otherwise but....Even if you are not scared of the actual fight...just the fact you are standing in front of a crowd of people and all eyes are on you and thinking about "Damn what if I get my ass kicked?"...is enough to scare ya
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just get a gun. unless you're scared of that too :P

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fear is Fuel.
    Use it or waste it.
    My first sparring session i was so scared i went to the toilets three times in fifteen minutes.

Boxing is a great sport. Certainly it is more aggresive than any ball sports and the aim is to make as much of a physical impression on the opponent as possible, but the techniques involved, the sciences of movement and the psychology of ring generalship play a much larger part than simply hurting your adversary.

Try it. You will train first, no contact. And then you will no if it's for you. It may not suit you, you may dislike it, but its a small risk for a potentially great reward. When you feel that all the training is worth it, all the effort is justified and you feel like you just want to get in there and fight. Thats a coming of age a can tell you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre, that was a tremedous post very wise cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love to box and compete but I'd never choose to fight on the street unless i had to for defence. I think they are 2 different things. If that's what makes you feel like you're a coward then I don't think that's enough to judge. Really I'd be worried about breaking my hand in a street fight anyway! Overall I'd agree with Andre and I bet at least half of those who'd pay you out in this case don't compete either ......
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love boxing as well. And to be honest, I get pretty darn spooky before a fight. Trainer Monkey's going to start working on teaching me to put it to better use in the ring by getting mad about being scared and then putting it to good use in the ring.....not blind, drooling, not thinking clearly mad, mind you. That's not very useful at all. But there's that level of anger that makes you target better, fight smarter, and be able to take more punishment if needed. That's what I need. I let myself get too worked up and then my muscles are so darn tight I can't slip and roll the punches properly. It's funny how I can do everything right in sparring and then when an actual fight comes along, I let the spooky inhibit me more than help.
    Sorry, there I go rambling again. Just give boxing a try. It's better to try it and know whether or not it works for you than to sit around wondering if it was something that you could have excelled at.

Thread Information