Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Team Witter Hits back at Mayweather

“You would think that as a former world champion, the man would have a bit more class,” said Brendan Ingle yesterday. The Wincobank legend – recently voted by Ring Magazine as one of the top ten trainers in the world – was responding to comments made about his charge Junior Witter by Roger Mayweather in the latest edition of Boxing Monthly..

Since hanging up his own gloves in 1999, the outspoken Mayweather has taken to showing other guys the ropes, most notably his nephew and pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior.

Recently, he has also been a part of the team preparing DeMarcus ‘Chop Chop’ Corley for his super lightweight contest
    against Witter on the Hennessy Sports ‘World Honours’ event at the historic Alexandra Palace on September 15th. The vacant WBC championship will be on the line. It will be the first time that the famous green belt has been contested in London for over six years.

Mayweather feels that former WBO king Corley - who has held his own with Floyd Mayweather, Zab Judah and Miguel Cotto - can do nothing but win.

Typically, it is not a belief that he has kept to himself.

Mayweather has been quoted as criticising – in disrespectful terms – both Witter’s achievements and style, in particular his footwork. He has also stated that the only way his man can’t return to America as a world champion is if he is robbed in England.

Understandably, Ingle is irked. He also believes Mayweather’s judgement to be way of the mark.

“Mayweather should have a bit more about him,” Ingle said. “This is gutter talk. I think he could be a decent trainer and Corley is a decent fighter, but he’s talking like a gutter snipe.

“We all know why he is doing it. He’s trying to wind everyone up, cause a bit of a stir and make a bit more of a name for himself, but he is also showing how ignorant he is with some of his comments.

“You would think that with him having some success and being supposedly knowledgeable that he would have been able to come up with a better assessment and be a bit more respectful.

“He needs to sit down and educate himself. He needs to start bringing fighters through from scratch. He just operates with one or two fighters at a time; we are training 15-20 kids from all kinds of backgrounds and at all kinds of levels from day one.

“Our style that he criticises is proven. It is based on footwork and movement. For him to criticise Junior’s footwork is a joke. To be able to move like he does as an orthodox, southpaw or switch-hitting fighter is very difficult. It’s a nightmare to fight.

“He can try to boost his man’s confidence and undermine Junior’s all he likes, but that will mean nothing come the time of the fight. He’ll get a shock.”

If this was a tactic by Mayweather to ruffle Witter’s feathers, it has clearly not worked. If anything, it has bolstered the former British, Commonwealth and European champion’s resolve.

“If what he thinks are my weaknesses are Corley’s strengths then he’s got problems,” said the 32-year-old Witter, 33(19 KO’s)-1-2, from Bradford.

“Why isn’t Mayweather talking about what Corley’s bringing to the table, why is he trying to make up negatives about me?

“How can he say I haven’t earned this shot? After I fought Judah on a weeks notice I knocked out 15 people straight. I have won three titles and beat Lovemore N’Dou with a broken hand. No-one had put N’Dou down before. I did it twice.

“He’s deluding himself. He’s trying to see things that are not there and he’s setting Corley up for a big fall. That excuse about being robbed in England won’t wash after I have performed how I intend to.”

‘World Honours’ by Hennessy Sports takes place at the Alexandra Palace on Friday September 15th. Doors 6pm, Boxing Starts 6.30pm. Sky Sports televise live from 10pm.

The undercard will include an additional title fight – full details to be announced shortly – and Hennessy Sports team members Darren Barker (middleweight), John O’Donnell (welterweight), John Murray (super featherweight), Andrew Kooner (bantamweight), Billy Corcoran (featherweight) and Daniel Cadman (middleweight). Popular Wembley super middleweight Kreshnick Qato also appears.

Tickets are available from TicketMaster on 0870 0601795. Prices are £35 Unreserved, £60 Outer Ringside and £125 Ringside Laminate. For more information please visit www.HennessySports.com.

www.maxboxing.com www.doghouseboxing.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Team Witter Hits back at Mayweather

good article
    thanks fo the news
    cc!
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lack of class and tact from Mayweather,no surprise there. You'd think someone with his know how would have more respect and manners.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Lack of class and tact from Mayweather,no surprise there. You'd think someone with his know how would have more respect and manners.
    I agree somewhat but obviously no surprise as you say, and I think Roger actually is right about Witter in terms of terrible footwork and all that... I also find it a bit funny how Ingle trys to diss Roger for only training a few fighter or w/e... He says he will bring up 10-15 guys at once from all different backgrounds.... Oh yeah, WHO Exactly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    I agree somewhat but obviously no surprise as you say, and I think Roger actually is right about Witter in terms of terrible footwork and all that... I also find it a bit funny how Ingle trys to diss Roger for only training a few fighter or w/e... He says he will bring up 10-15 guys at once from all different backgrounds.... Oh yeah, WHO Exactly.
    I have not seen much of Witter,only the few fights but what I have read and heard from others,I would have to favour Corley but I'm no as sure as I was,there are BIG incentives for Witter and it could be make or break for him,he's 32 isn't he? This could be his last shot at the big time(Hatton)>

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have not seen much of Witter,only the few fights but what I have read and heard from others,I would have to favour Corley but I'm no as sure as I was,there are BIG incentives for Witter and it could be make or break for him,he's 32 isn't he? This could be his last shot at the big time(Hatton)>
    Well he was fairly easily outclassed by Zab Judah so Im assuming in your books that makes him a speck of dust in the outer orbits of our galaxy :P But he's a very tough and akward fighter as the guy said, he switch hits fairly well etc, but more than likely doesn't have it in him to beat a top fighter.. Not that Corley is that, Im not even making a pick for this fight, but he won't beat Hatton if he does get by Corley.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the world class fighhters he has produced from scratch are Hamed, Nelson, Graham and Witter and alot of other domestic level fighters.

The 15 to 20 kids he is talking about are the whole club, the amatures, he is an amature trainer first and foremost, those are the kids he trains, he doesnt just train pros, they all train together and spar, that is why all his fighters are adaptable, they get so much expierience just from the club

Thread Information