Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 year old child is ran over twice 18 people walk by before anyone helps.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 2 year old child is ran over twice 18 people walk by before anyone helps.

2-year-old girl run over by car twice, 18 people passed by and ignored | ChinaHush

Really upsetting I won't paste the video here in case anyone doesn't want to see it but follow the link if you do.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 2 year old child is ran over twice 18 people walk by before anyone helps.

Proclaiming peoples ignorance in one thread, to blatant racism in the next. You're a gem Brockton.

I didn't watch the video cause it'd just depress me as all videos of this sort do, some people are so fucked.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 2 year old child is ran over twice 18 people walk by before anyone helps.

Explanations for the Bystander Effect

There are two major factors that contribute to the bystander effect. First, the presence of other people creates a diffusion of responsibility. Because there are other observers, individuals do not feel as much pressure to take action, since the responsibility to take action is thought to be shared among all of those present.
    The second reason is the need to behave in correct and socially acceptable ways. When other observers fail to react, individuals often take this as a signal that a response is not needed or not appropriate. Other researchers have found that onlookers are less likely to intervene if the situation is ambiguous(2). In the case of Kitty Genovese, many of the 38 witnesses reported that they believed that they were witnessing a "lover's quarrel," and did not realize that the young woman was actually being murdered.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't Jerry, George and Elaine go to jail for less?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    Explanations for the Bystander Effect

There are two major factors that contribute to the bystander effect. First, the presence of other people creates a diffusion of responsibility. Because there are other observers, individuals do not feel as much pressure to take action, since the responsibility to take action is thought to be shared among all of those present.
    The second reason is the need to behave in correct and socially acceptable ways. When other observers fail to react, individuals often take this as a signal that a response is not needed or not appropriate. Other researchers have found that onlookers are less likely to intervene if the situation is ambiguous(2). In the case of Kitty Genovese, many of the 38 witnesses reported that they believed that they were witnessing a "lover's quarrel," and did not realize that the young woman was actually being murdered.
    its incomprehensible that people could see an innocent baby mortally injured and not rescue it from harms way.

Its called the douchebag effect. turn a blind eye, until it is your child or family member then you see how it feels..

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cannot watch too sick just the words say it all, would this happen in any other major city.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Cannot watch too sick just the words say it all, would this happen in any other major city.
    Sad to say, but yes it can and will.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We cant place all Asians in the same basket and call them nick names to be derogatory we have a large contingency of Filipinos post here and they are good people, they cant read thatand still feel welcome here Brockton.

On another note you are right, useless drivers and road laws in most of Asia suck and life just isnt held as high there.
    Sumatra is worse you have adrenalin pouring out your nose just on a bus there.
    Last edited by Andre; 10-20-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Horrible story, but apparently not all that uncommon. You typically run over the body the second time to make sure that they are dead and thus avoid paying anything in damages. It is despicable behaviour.

Asian's are generally speaking horrible drivers and I speak from the experience of living in an Asian country and having been to Asian countries. Obviously poor drivers can and do come from anywhere, but the lack of effective instruction and enforcement leads to too many people developing piss poor driving skills. Japan wasn't too bad from what I recall, but anywhere beyond can be chaos.

And Piye, I am quite aware that this post might well be construed as racial, and to a degree it is, but really I am speaking about the systems in place that cause many Asian's to drive so poorly. Countries like China need to clamp down on out of control driving and the result will be safer roads for all and less dangerous Asian drivers.

One of the better things about the UK is the driving system. Generally speaking people are much more well behaved there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That car had 18 justified opportunities for some misfortune but its a shame it took 1 innocent who never had a say or chance. I'm guessing twice, was intentional?!

Its group think and a herd mentality...and its cowardly. I saw a young kid get hit in Atlanta once...driver never knew what ripped him from his car after. Looked like some bad zombie flick!

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Asian's are generally speaking horrible drivers and I speak from the experience of living in an Asian country and having been to Asian countri
    Amen to that, Miles. and like I said, its because of a total lack of peripheral vision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Horrible story, but apparently not all that uncommon. You typically run over the body the second time to make sure that they are dead and thus avoid paying anything in damages. It is despicable behaviour.

Asian's are generally speaking horrible drivers and I speak from the experience of living in an Asian country and having been to Asian countries. Obviously poor drivers can and do come from anywhere, but the lack of effective instruction and enforcement leads to too many people developing piss poor driving skills. Japan wasn't too bad from what I recall, but anywhere beyond can be chaos.

And Piye, I am quite aware that this post might well be construed as racial, and to a degree it is, but really I am speaking about the systems in place that cause many Asian's to drive so poorly. Countries like China need to clamp down on out of control driving and the result will be safer roads for all and less dangerous Asian drivers.

One of the better things about the UK is the driving system. Generally speaking people are much more well behaved there.

No worries let's move on, this is a horrific story I find it difficult to stomach I have a 18 month year old daughter and something like this would literally kill me. I also don't understand how something like this can be shown on the news?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Asian's are generally speaking horrible drivers and I speak from the experience of living in an Asian country and having been to Asian countri
    Amen to that, Miles. and like I said, its because of a total lack of peripheral vision.
    This is out of order.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by piye View Post
    This is out of order.
    I know it sounds very strange, but BBB does kind of have a point, though I couldn't say it resulted in this horrible death. There is something about spatial awareness, at least in Korea, that totally baffles me. You can observe people literally zig zagging up and down the footpaths. It is quite bizarre. You can hold a straight line and someone will see you coming and yet somehow bodily contact is still made. It is an unusual phenomenon. People are forever bumping into each other on uncrowded footpaths. I am exaggerating a little there, but it does seem to happen a little bit too much.

I drive and am quite careful, but there really are a lot of lunatics out there and at least as far as Korea is concerned traffic fatality rates are pretty appalling. I imagine China is at least as bad. Road safety awareness is something that really needs to be preached in many Asian countries.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piye View Post
    This is out of order.
    I know it sounds very strange, but BBB does kind of have a point, though I couldn't say it resulted in this horrible death. There is something about spatial awareness, at least in Korea, that totally baffles me. You can observe people literally zig zagging up and down the footpaths. It is quite bizarre. You can hold a straight line and someone will see you coming and yet somehow bodily contact is still made. It is an unusual phenomenon. People are forever bumping into each other on uncrowded footpaths. I am exaggerating a little there, but it does seem to happen a little bit too much.

I drive and am quite careful, but there really are a lot of lunatics out there and at least as far as Korea is concerned traffic fatality rates are pretty appalling. I imagine China is at least as bad. Road safety awareness is something that really needs to be preached in many Asian countries.
    Miles is quite right and truth trumps political correctness any day of the year including Leap Year.
    Obviously piye and the others have not spent as much time in Korea as Miles or I have. How their stories of PC-ness would change! Experience trumps PC-ness any day as well.

Thread Information