Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Word Shot in relation to Jones is used way to loosely

so in most opinions Roy was deemed shot after the the Johnson KO.

A shot fighter by the way I understand it as a fighter showing drastic decline in what he once was able to do making it physically impossible to compete at the highest level he once could.

Not being able to pull the trigger

Plodding

Poor reflexes

Horrible stamina

pushing punches

lethargic like handspeed

ETC..

I said it all along, Jones biggest achilles heel since the Tarver and Johnson KO's has been confidence and adjusting to 175 again.. I dont want to get into the factual and scientific toll it takes on your body to slash 25lbs of muscle off your frame in such a short period of time

The point I want to make is between Jones ears, when you are the best boxer in the world everyday for over a decade putting on sublime performances, to one day getting sparked by your nemesis is gonna screw with you MENTALLY. Jones has never been shopworn in his career and besides 2 KO punches hasnt sustained signifigant damage..

This clip illustrates that Jones is still there PHYSICALLY, though he won only a few rounds of the 3rd Tarver fight he still showed all the attributes.. This fight is also frustrating because Jones thru it away by not punching, when he did he dominated.. Roy didnt stop throwing because he was gunshy, but because he didnt have the confidence..

The other part of this clip is to show how Jones can sharpshoot thru Joes very porous defense and his sloppy punches create gaps for Jones.. Also we can see how Jones fights off the ropes with beautiful body shots and sharp uppercuts..

Again Im not advocating Roys chances based on round 5 of this fight but its pretty telling about him not being a shot fighter.. not to mention Jones has incorporated a pretty damn good fundamentally sound defense over the past few years..

Joe is gonna get picked off good if he is pittering Jones on the ropes, I dont think Joe can live with Roy thru a toe to toe with clean exchanges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPP9ffqGYHk
    Last edited by JT Rock; 11-03-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Word Shot in relation to Jones is used way to loosely

wow, thats vintage Jones...
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We must have watched a diffrent Tarver- Jones 3 fight because I saw Roy get wobbled at least 4 times in that fight. Three strait fights his chin was checked and it looked very weak, his ability to get hit was also at an all time high, one round of sharp punching means very little considering you have to survive twelve. Joe is going to have at least 70 punches going his direction every round non stop, Roy is not what he used to be, if you want to call that shot or not is simply up too you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gudnite vienna View Post
    wow, thats vintage Jones...

There are alot of over the hill fighters that can come out and give it their all for one round and look like they did in their prime, I have seen Shane Mosley do it a couple of times ( Most notable), it does not mean they are what they once were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i for one never said jones was SHOT maybe past his best but not SHOT. I still think he can win saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually he's become all the things you state as a shot fighter.

And you can see how he ended up there,he started buying in to his own hype machine. The rap record was a sign of it coming. Putting together the Ruiz fight was a billboard.
    It said to me, he didnt really want to be great anymore,he wanted you to think he was. When the publicity outreaches the desire,your fighter is in serious trouble.
    Thankfully for Roy, it happened so late in his career, it really wont affect his legacy much. De La Hoya is sort of the same way, though I think Oscar's done a better job of tainting his legacy then Roy. Mosely is heading there rapidly. Hopkins suprisingly hasnt found that path, but thats why he should quit right now.
    All of those guys where gods at some point,but, quit while you still are a god.
    Nobody wants to remember Ali/Berbick or Ali/Holmes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post

And you can see how he ended up there,he started buying in to his own hype machine. The rap record was a sign of it coming. Putting together the Ruiz fight was a billboard.
    It said to me, he didnt really want to be great anymore,he wanted you to think he was. When the publicity outreaches the desire,your fighter is in serious trouble.
    Thankfully for Roy, it happened so late in his career, it really wont affect his legacy much. De La Hoya is sort of the same way, though I think Oscar's done a better job of tainting his legacy then Roy. Mosely is heading there rapidly. Hopkins suprisingly hasnt found that path, but thats why he should quit right now.
    I dont buy an ounce of that... Roy is physically all there, Ai wasnt by the time Holmes and Berbick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but thats different compared to roy vs joe. Holmes was a beast and Ali knew he didnt have a chance. Roy can still pull of the upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post

but thats different compared to roy vs joe. Holmes was a beast and Ali knew he didnt have a chance. Roy can still pull of the upset.
    I agree with King that Roy still has a chance to pull this upset, but on the other hand I believe Roy is no where near what he used to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post

I agree with King that Roy still has a chance to pull this upset, but on the other hand I believe Roy is no where near what he used to be
    That dosent mean he is shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Activity level
    What Hopkins learned the hard way,is Joe doesnt have to land the punches. Judges get impressed with activity.
    All the hard clean punches were Hopkins, but Joe just slapped at his elbows.
    Well guess who "won"
    Roy cant keep the work rate up to beat Joe, he's got one chance, a really good punch at the right moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post

That dosent mean he is shot
    i dont think hes SHOT hes just not wat he used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: The Word Shot in relation to Jones is used way to loosely

There is every chance that RJJ can upset the bookies ... & for those who like a bet he was 5/2 against Joe's 2/7 on ... now Im a massive fan of JC but thats silly betting ... but if all things was equal at the start of this bout then for me the deciding factor will be that JC will control the pace, which Roy likes to do himself, and that will be his downfall in this fight .. not being able to do that against JC.

Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I`m rooting for Calzaghe on this one. Because I haven`t been right with one prediction yet!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We must have watched a diffrent Tarver- Jones 3 fight because I saw Roy get wobbled at least 4 times in that fight. Three strait fights his chin was checked and it looked very weak, his ability to get hit was also at an all time high, one round of sharp punching means very little considering you have to survive twelve. Joe is going to have at least 70 punches going his direction every round non stop, Roy is not what he used to be, if you want to call that shot or not is simply up too you.

Yeah Jones was stunned particulary in the 11th . He fought back harder than he ever use to in his prime but he was blinking as if fighting through a fog . it was bizzarre. Jones was able to recapture his confidence vs Tito but was only able to do it for a couple rounds vs Tarver . I dont think he will have much more success vs Joe who will stay on him unlike Tarver .

I think that 5th round was sad to watch . An all time great going through teh motions , trying to remember what once came so naturally . I dont need to state the obvious but i will . . . prime for prime Jones kills Tarver and Joe
    Last edited by GAME; 11-03-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Thread Information