Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

This may sound kind of dumb, but are there any excercises/techniques that you could use without the use of a punching bag (includes heavybag, speed bag, double-end bag, etc.) Or let me rephrase that! Are there any excercises/techniques you could do BESIDES using the punching bag to help more powerful punches? (Just got done reading Chris N.s topic about strenghening the joints )

I've heard some say that chopping wood with an ax would help tremendously...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heav

plyometric pushups, clap pushups, Von Milash's contraptions, joint strengthening

I'm sure everyone else has loads of ideas to contribute.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

Conditioning is important, but not integral for being able to punch hard.

The most important thing is to be in a position that gives you leverage and gets you set for a punch. Learn how to shift your weight from one leg to another, how to use footwork to add power to your punches. What goes hand in hand with footwork is the different shifts/sleights, with a simple step, pivot, and adjustment to your stance you can evade punches while simulateosly add power to your punches. I'll go over them in detail later on. In light of that the best way to improve your punching power is to use a mirror. Why a mirror, because it's the best way in seeing what you're doing and make adjustments, you can study the various feints, shifts, set-ups while you are shadowboxing in front of a mirror.

As for physical exercise you need to be explosive on your feet. I think skipping rope is a great way to achieve that. There are many different exercises that can make a jumprope much more intense.

As for muscles are concerned don't get carried away on a weight training pallete, what's important is that your training is result orientated. Focus on the muscles that you'll be using.

It's important that you strengthen your back, your abs (including the obliques), your legs, and body as a whole. There are many exercises that are worth looking into: plyometrics, isometrics as final supplement, certain weight-training, manual labor, or hard physical activities.

Improving your power is worthwhile, but shouldn't be center focus for your training, technique is important, and more important is the reason behind those techniques. You can only hit as hard as the best punch you can land. Do things in your head, always have a reason while you are training, imagine slipping their lead, side-stepping away from their rear arm, while simulataneosly shifting to deliver a terrific punch!

Now guy's like Marciano, Tyson, Dempsey and countless others were not mindless punchers. Rocky Marciano didn't look pretty, but he knew how feint, and set up his punches. Tyson was a counterpuncher in his hayday, he'd look to slip their lead and attack their weaker angles.

Show me a hard puncher without reasons behind what he's doing, and I'll show you a dead man.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heav

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_dude
    plyometric pushups, clap pushups, Von Milash's contraptions, joint strengthening

I'm sure everyone else has loads of ideas to contribute.
    CC!

Chris, feinting is a huge part of it. they say the one the knocks you out is the one you don't see coming. part of that is making the guy think one is coming when it aint, and then throw the one that lands. feinting is the best way to land them. As a relative new boxer myself, I've recently come to know that it is of paramount impotance, especailly when sparring with guys that are better than you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

Now if you can make them respect your power, feinting will become so much easier. Feints work best if you make them react, and all it takes for them is good punch or two to know what you're about. There is lot's of different feints, you can feint with your hands, shoulders, knees, even your eyes if you know that's what they're looking for. The best thing when it comes down to it is to make them expect one thing, then you feint to get them to commit/hesitate, and then you Bam you hit them where they don't expect it. There's a lot more to it, if you can get a guy to buy your feints, then you can set nice little surprises for them.

Heres another thing I should add. Although strength is important, power is more about transfering weight from one side to another, more than it is muscles. If you dead serious about becoming a powerful puncher, you'll spend a great deal of time to practice shifting your weight during your footwork so not only will you be able to punch hard, you'll be in a better position to do so.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you dont move the centre line youll punch harder
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I train weights 4 days a week and cardio/boxing 3 days a week.
    The boxing training I do is normally just aerobic conditioning training.
    eg: Sparring, specific muscle targeting, jump squats, bob-and-weave, duck-and-weave, speed ball, heavy bag, etc.

The power (force) of a punch comes from many different areas:
    The shoulders, primary impact and driving force.
    The back, driving force.
    The legs, driving force.
    The triceps, impact force and speed.
    The biceps, retraction force and speed.

All of these areas should be targeted if an increase in punching power wants to be achieved. Each muscle in the body has two different sets of fibers. The fast-twitch(FT) fibers, for explosive movements. The slow-twitch(ST) fibers, for endurance movements. For short amounts of power the FT fibers are targeted. However, if power is going to be need again and again over a extended period of time, the ST fibers are targeted.

Knowing this, there is a technique I use to strengthen the shoulder region, without the heavy bag, using dumbbells.
    You will need a dumbbell in each hand with a satisfactory amount of weight on each. To test this, hold each dumbbell out at arm's reach (straight) in front of you. If you can hold the weights for more then 7 seconds the weight is to low. If you can't hold it for more then 4 seconds it is to heavy.

The exercise:
    FT Fibers:
    1)Stand straight with feet spread shoulder width apart, hands by side.
    2)Throw the right hand out straight in front of you, holding the dumbbell (As if you were throwing a punch).
    3)Return the arm back to your side.
    4)Repeat this with the left arm.
    5)Complete 5 sets of 10-20 reps on each arm. 1min rest between sets.
    Note: Make sure the punches are explosive, straight and fast BUT always keep the movement smooth and stable. If there is any bone pain or other pain in any muscle but the shoulders, you are training wrong. DO NOT lock the elbows.

ST Fibers:
    1)Raise each dumbbell out straight in front of your body. Palms facing down.
    2)Hold this position until your shoulders grow sore and you can no longer hold the weights up.
    3)Return arms to your side.
    4)Complete 5 sets of 6-8 reps. 2mins rest between sets.
    Note: The weights should be lifted slowly and smoothly. Lowered the same. Do not lock the elbows at any time. If any pain other then shoulder muscular pain, you are training wrong.

Complete both these exercise 3-4 days a week, with at least 48 hours between training.

This will increase explosive power as well as muscle endurance. Make sure you do both. A strong hard punch is no good if it can not last long.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Power comes from oral stability

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Scrap, at first I was about to dismiss what you said. You've shown a piece to a bigger picture that causes you to look for the answers. After thinking about what you've said for a long time it beginning to make sense. It's like an awakening. Let me try to humor you to what you've made me consider.

Our sense of balance is in our head, and oral stability then depends on our sense of balance along with the feedback from what our body feels/senses. Therefore if my posture puts me off balance, and if my eyes or body is trying to overcompensate from what I'm feeling then my oral stability will take a turn for the worst which prevent me from generate power despite everything else considered. Good posture is key, and your senses (feel, see) greatly affect your posture and movement. In a way that's why you'd wear an eyepatch on your dominant eye. It affects your oral stability, and without your dominant eye causing your right side to overcompensate in terms of movement, etc. your left side can improve in many ways along with your posture. If this change is brought out because of what you see, there must be ways that you can adjust your posture so in "Feeling" your body will send the right signals to your brain. Let me ask you this Scrap, how do you find the sense/feeling that is causing the problems?

As I see it, the centre line goes hand in hand with oral stability, and I'm guessing it amounts to your body's overall stability. This would take into account your spine, your head, your toes/feet which make up your posture.

What I've been trying to improve in myself is to become about as comfortable with my left side, as I do with my right. I've been doing things such as building strength on my left side, doing daily tasks with my left, and wearing an eyepatch on my right eye when I'm shadowboxing. I'm thinking that the eye patch or closing my right eye may help when I'm doing other things such as building my strength, or working on hand to eye coordination. Would it also improve my left eye in terms of perferal vision?

Maybe I'm thinking too much, but that maybe good because it's a lot to think about. Correct me if I'm on the wrong track here.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris, your getting the idea, its very hard to change the dominant side but i think were as close to it as weve ever been from your walking gait to about everything we do is controlled by vision and genetics. Subconcesly are aim is to protect the head the body wants the best information it can get and its own help, helps whats above to give it. Ive gone a long way to improving running gait by something which should hit the market next year, and get you fitter than anything by up to 30% that there is at the moment without impact. the other thing which is the crux to many problems is we dont do enougth correct stretching, because of the eyes one side does the other supports the action depending on what form of work you do or sport. The stretches ive put up are now pretty old, im putting some more up for sharla in the next week to help her im running late at the moment my dear old mums had a stroke so at the moment im at the hospital 4 hors a day so im behind. by the way cc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Scrap, I appreciate it. Anyways good luck to your mum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber
    This may sound kind of dumb, but are there any excercises/techniques that you could use without the use of a punching bag (includes heavybag, speed bag, double-end bag, etc.) Or let me rephrase that! Are there any excercises/techniques you could do BESIDES using the punching bag to help more powerful punches? (Just got done reading Chris N.s topic about strenghening the joints )

I've heard some say that chopping wood with an ax would help tremendously...
    Cuban Amutures hit tyers with pick axe handles to improve strength.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara
    Cuban Amutures hit tyers with pick axe handles to improve strength.
    CC for that interesting little titbit of info - I'm probably not going to actually do it because I don't really understand what it does - but it's interesting anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Chris, your getting the idea, its very hard to change the dominant side but i think were as close to it as weve ever been from your walking gait to about everything we do is controlled by vision and genetics. Subconcesly are aim is to protect the head the body wants the best information it can get and its own help, helps whats above to give it. Ive gone a long way to improving running gait by something which should hit the market next year, and get you fitter than anything by up to 30% that there is at the moment without impact. the other thing which is the crux to many problems is we dont do enougth correct stretching, because of the eyes one side does the other supports the action depending on what form of work you do or sport. The stretches ive put up are now pretty old, im putting some more up for sharla in the next week to help her im running late at the moment my dear old mums had a stroke so at the moment im at the hospital 4 hors a day so im behind. by the way cc
    Thanks Scrap CC and hope you're mum recovers well.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Row single scull boat. This blows up your lats, triceps, tones the abs and blows up the thighs.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is the rower in the gym just as good?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Thread Information