Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Are British fighters undervalued?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are British fighters undervalued?

It seems that certain people on this site disrespect British fighters simply because they are British. Is there some form of xenophobia at work? I've seen superb victories by fighters like Benn and Hatton, and I've also seen people trying to discredit their achievements. To clear things up - Benn beat Gerald because he was tougher, not because he was saved by the referee; Hatton beat Kostya because he was better, not because of a low blow. What do the rest of you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are British fighters undervalued?

Quote Originally Posted by Wright
    It seems that certain people on this site disrespect British fighters simply because they are British. Is there some form of xenophobia at work? I've seen superb victories by fighters like Benn and Hatton, and I've also seen people trying to discredit their achievements. To clear things up - Benn beat Gerald because he was tougher, not because he was saved by the referee; Hatton beat Kostya because he was better, not because of a low blow. What do the rest of you think?
    I think the reason they get disrespected is because everytime a uk fighter has a good win, their fanboys act as tho it is the greatest win in history. They also come up with things quotes like ' Calzaghe is better than RJJ ever was'...... 'Hatton will kill PBF'....... 'Carl Froch is a top 3 SMW'.....' No one in history would have beaten Ricky yhe night of the KT fight'.......

Lots of UK fans think their fellow countrymen are better than what they are, so it works both ways.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    I think the reason they get disrespected is because everytime a uk fighter has a good win, their fanboys act as tho it is the greatest win in history. They also come up with things quotes like ' Calzaghe is better than RJJ ever was'...... 'Hatton will kill PBF'....... 'Carl Froch is a top 3 SMW'.....' No one in history would have beaten Ricky yhe night of the KT fight'.......

Lots of UK fans think their fellow countrymen are better than what they are, so it works both ways.

100% agree. The question should be are British fighters over valued. Over in the UK fighters like Clinton Woods, Jonathan Thaxton and Ryan Rhodes are considered good. Based on what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly...being from the U.S. of A...I can say without any reservations that I don't give a flyin shit where a fighter is from. As long as he respresents & shows well in the ring he could be from fwockin China & it wouldn't make a damn.

That being said...there are only a handful of British/Across the Ponders that I truly like...Joe Calzaghe is one of them.

I truly believe in Joe. Always have & always will. I've always bought what Joe's selling & have never understood why my fellow American boxing enthusiasts aren't & find it so hard to see the good in him.

Not sold so much on Hatton. Never have been & probably never will be...win, lose, or draw on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle

Pretty much any fight fan does that...no matter where they are from.

Calzaghe is probably as good to most British fight fans as Roy was to us...so I can sympathise with that.

As far as the unbelievable hype & support that Hatton get's...I will never understand that...but I'm not here to snype Hatton or Calzaghe.

I just think that on a whole...with boxing fans today...it's not just British fighters that are undervalued....but all fighters.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For a little rock in the Atlantic, 60m UK citizens, I think we do extremely well. I think people like Calzaghe and Hatton get the respect they deserve, but fighters like Alex Arthur, Enzo Mac, David Haye etc don't get their just due. I don't really blame this on ignorance though, it's mostly our promtional system, due to Frank Warren keeping a firm grip on how and where his talent fight. I do feel a little that some Americans fail to give any Non-US fighter their respect, but this is a tiny minority. On the most part people world wide do what they can to show respect with the partial exposure they receive.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Generally there is far to much hype surrounding British fighters .
    Clazaghe is a top fighter but no great.
    Hatton has alot to prove before hes reguarded as great
    Benn etc all had great promoters behind them
    we have some good fighters for sure but personally i think they are over rated , its just my opinion
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not really,I mean there are British fighters that are doing well(Hatton JC especially are on P4P lists) and other others,Braithwaite etc are breaking on to the world scene. If they fight,prove themselves against the big names,then it does not matter where the fighter is from,they'll get their respect.

Thread Information