Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ike Quartey Vs Vernon Forrest

Which one of these former champs has more gas in left in the tank. I believe Ike Quartey could have dominated the ww division in the early part of this decade if it wasen't for his ego. His lost to De La Hoya caused him a short hiatus from the boxing ring only to come back and lose to a bigger Vargas. He deserved the victory against Oscar! He never should have left the division yet alone boxing period. Vernon Forrest was on top of the world after his victories against Mosley only to run into a boxer who had his number (Mayorga). Hopefully we can see the old version of these former champs instead of shot boxers (Vargas against Mosley). The winner should go on to make one more title run but who will it be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ike Quartey Vs Vernon Forrest

One more thing to mention is that Forrest is coming off of injury compared to Ike who has been healthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyway 154 is real thin right now when it comes to quality champions so I guess It's realistic to say that the winner has an easy path

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is too late in both of their careers IMO to stage a great comeback. I honestly done see either one of then gaining the Championship again. Quartey look OK against Verno Phillips but that fight was a draw in my oppinion, and Vernon is always injured and I think Mayorga permenantely damaged him in some ways. Out of the two of them though i think Quartey has the better chance.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon

One more thing to mention is that Forrest is coming off of injury compared to Ike who has been healthy
    yeah...that injury bug takes years off a fighter...lookin a quartey victory....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like "The Bazooka" in this fight but the 2 have very little left IMO but we will see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a fight that would have been in 1999 -2000.

Vernon was just on the cusp of great things whilst Bazooka was running both Prime Oscar and Prime Vargas close and baning out some very good fighters whilst WBA champion.

Vernon got a bit to confident trying to beat up Mayorga and walked into some big punches.

Both have killer jabs but i think Vernon could steal the fight on the out side whilst i think Quartey still has a whole load to offer he is prone to being lazy in fights and he loves fighters to come to him being a natural counter puncher.

Big question who has the most left ? I'd take the fighter that dominated Shane Mosely and completely outclassed him over the 1999 Ike but now its a toss up .

It would boil down to battle of the jabs Ike wouldnt try to talk Vernon down and Vernon would be smart enough not to walk Bazooka down .

Hmm could be too good a boxing match to ever catch fire or it could be a dilly of a pickle as Ned Flanders would say .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckling Gordy

What a fight that would have been in 1999 -2000.

Vernon was just on the cusp of great things whilst Bazooka was running both Prime Oscar and Prime Vargas close and baning out some very good fighters whilst WBA champion.

Vernon got a bit to confident trying to beat up Mayorga and walked into some big punches.

Both have killer jabs but i think Vernon could steal the fight on the out side whilst i think Quartey still has a whole load to offer he is prone to being lazy in fights and he loves fighters to come to him being a natural counter puncher.

Big question who has the most left ? I'd take the fighter that dominated Shane Mosely and completely outclassed him over the 1999 Ike but now its a toss up .

It would boil down to battle of the jabs Ike wouldnt try to talk Vernon down and Vernon would be smart enough not to walk Bazooka down .

Hmm could be too good a boxing match to ever catch fire or it could be a dilly of a pickle as Ned Flanders would say .
    Your right in the late 90's this would have been a great match up but I think Bazooka would have taken him down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is just enough left of both of these two for this fight to turn into a smoker!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a huge fan of Ike Quartey. What a beautiful jab! He really is pleasing to the eye style wise. His punches come off perfect. However he tends to posture too much after he lets his punches go admiring his work which in turn allow him to get hit , waiting for the receipt if you will. . Verron Forrest is a great guy. Class act in and out of the ring. He will enjoy height and reach advantage how much of that Mayorga fight still in the back of his mind? And did it take something out of him? Everyone reacts different when beat down . Can he rise up? We shall see . It should be a great fight for the fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    There is just enough left of both of these two for this fight to turn into a smoker!
    Yes it do ! I agree

Thread Information