Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Azumah Nelson

What can you tell me about him. What was his style like? Did he have a good resume? Were does he rank amongst fighters in his weightclass.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Azumah Nelson

He was an excellent Featherweight champ, but it was at Super-Featherweight that he was a true great. Beat some excellent fighters like Wilfredo Gomez, Jeff Fenech, Gabriel Ruelas & a prime Jesse James Leija.

His only losses in his prime came to ATGs Salvador Sanchez & Pernell Whitaker. He would then lose to Leija as his skills started to decline, although he beat him in a rematch, before losing to Leija again & the excellent Genaro Hernandez. He then had a bizarre rematch with Fenech last year, which I was glad not to watch, which he apparently lost in a boring close fight.

In his prime he was one of the best. I'd have him in the Top 3 SFWs of all time with Floyd Mayweather Jr & Alexis Arguello just ahead of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Jazz. Is that Wilfrdo Benetiz against Roberto Duran in your avator?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Cobra View Post
    Thanks Jazz. Is that Wilfrdo Benetiz against Roberto Duran in your avator?
    Nah, Ray Leonard vs Duran. You should try get a copy of Sanchez vs Nelson, it's a great fight, really showcases both guys' skills. It was also only Nelson's 11th pro fight. The fights with Fenech are good too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Found it on Youtube Jazz. Think il watch it later tonight. Did Nelson improve significantly as a boxer after the Sanchez fights or do you think the reuslt would be the same if Nelson had had more fights?

Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really Liked the Professor when I finally found him.....Pin is pulled . Was a great stalker and pressure fighter with a water proof guard.Could be diverse in attack,good adaptability and an all around ring general up there with the very best.

Outstanding Featherweight showing maturity beyond his ring years and age when he met and was defeated by the great Salvador Sanchez while early on.May sound odd,but I think this war made him better in the long run definitely.He won his first major title at Featherweight with a KO over another outstanding fighter in Wilfredo Gomez.Ran off some good defenses with a brutal KO of Pat Cowdell,two wins over future champ Marcos Villasana.He would rise to capture the Jr.Lightweight title vacated by JC Chavez but ultimately climb one division to high when he met a streaking phenom in Whitaker.Nelson was one step behind as Pernell put on a boxing clinic,albeit not exactly stimulating for the audience.Ever the comer Azumah would press but become frustrated only able to give Whitaker a few uncomfortable moments late.He would meet granite headed Juan Laporte and turn in abit of a boxing show in his next fight,allowing Laporte to press him and land some stinging shots before Nelson would take the decision.Next up he would fight to a tough and hotly disputed 'draw' with Australian buzz saw Jeff Fenech.Fenech kept him bottled up and mostly on the ropes and stuck in a corner showing much more aggression.Less than a year later the two would meet in a rematch and he would erase any doubts as he showed massive pressure and bludgeoned a less than sturdy Fenech for a harsh TKO victory for his 7th title defense.

You could see signs of erosion in his win over the fast but frail Calvin Grove.....he himself coming off a shocking one punch KO of Nelsons rival former rival Jeff Fenech.Groves movement and in and out approach gave him a few fits but was not enough and the Professor would win over 12.Azumah did very well in beating a fresh talent and very capable Gabe Ruelas next up in a nicely fought 12.

His 4 fight series with Jesse J. Lejia was a bit odd.You really got the impression of no love loss as they took turns one upping each other.The first took place in Leijas hometown where it appeared that Nelson was the more in control,resulted in a disputed draw that virtually left Leija sulking and on the brink of tears.Revenge was sweet in #2 as Lejia....who was never thought a puncher....dropped the solid chinned Nelson in the second round hard.Nelson would be docked a point in the 9th round and go on to lose a 12 round call and his reign would come to an end......breifly.

Guess I'm making the coffee stonger these days...blah,blah,blah

He would come back yet again and look the part of his old self.He meet a 'bothered' Ruelas again who himself previously defeated Lejia and Nelson proceeded to beat him from pillar to post in a display of power.Reclaiming his Title and setting up a third battle with Leija.Again.....He put on a pressure/power display.Dropping Jesse early,cutting him to ribbons above the eyes and getting sweet revenge in a good trilogy that goes a bit under the radar these days.After those showing.....the ship had seemingly sailed on his career.The professors last two fights were pretty wide losses.He lost his belt to an under appreciated rangy Genaro Hernandez in 97'.One in which Hernandez was felled by a punch to the throat and told he could stop and win via DQ....but instead opted to fight on against the dangerous HOF bound Nelson.Azumah lost over 12 and would face Leija yet again in their 4th and final fight.Leija was rejuvenated and on top of his game.Taking a brisk and smart boxing display,keeping Nelson one step behind him and handing Nelson a loss.The man was a true boxing professional and awesome talent.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 06-14-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nelson's style of the high guard and excellent jab are the template for the Ghanaian fighters like Kotey, Quartey and Clotty.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Spicoli for the lenghy analysis- learned a lot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One more for the road, the professor was never in a bad fight and when he took on Ruelas, more that one member of the press said he should have been a psychologist the way he read his opponents and manipulated teir movents toward him in the ring. In other words it seems he just told you when wher and how he was going to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    He was an excellent Featherweight champ, but it was at Super-Featherweight that he was a true great. Beat some excellent fighters like Wilfredo Gomez, Jeff Fenech, Gabriel Ruelas & a prime Jesse James Leija.

His only losses in his prime came to ATGs Salvador Sanchez & Pernell Whitaker. He would then lose to Leija as his skills started to decline, although he beat him in a rematch, before losing to Leija again & the excellent Genaro Hernandez. He then had a bizarre rematch with Fenech last year, which I was glad not to watch, which he apparently lost in a boring close fight.

In his prime he was one of the best. I'd have him in the Top 3 SFWs of all time with Floyd Mayweather Jr & Alexis Arguello just ahead of him.
    Azumah Nelson was hardly in his prime when he faced Pernell Whitaker. No way would have Nelson in his prime had difficulties with Fenech or Leija.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arguably the greatest African fighter of all time, a tragedy only prevented us from seeing another fight with Salvador Sanchez. He could have his off nights though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should try get a copy of Sanchez vs Nelson, it's a great fight, really showcases both guys' skills.
    Absolutely, I was just about to suggest this. One of the greatest fights in the history of Madison Square Garden, and that's saying something.

After losing to Sanchez, Nelson didn't lose again for 8 years, until he moved up in weight and challenged a prime Whitaker at 135.

Greatest African fighter ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my favorite fighter ever. nelson was a joy to watch. i could watch him fight all day

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

Azumah Nelson was hardly in his prime when he faced Pernell Whitaker. No way would have Nelson in his prime had difficulties with Fenech or Leija.
    I'm wondering where I said the Nelson that fought Fenech & Leija was in his prime. I do think when he fought Whitaker he was in his prime, I thought he gave him a tough fight, certainly tougher than the JCC or Ramirez fights, however Sweet Pea was just that bit too good & there's no shame in that, he was fighting against arguably the best LW of the past 60 years at his weight.

ICB Guest

Everyone has basically said everything about Azumah Nelson, so i won't repeat everything thats just been said. But i would like to say that i thought Azumah Nelson went 2-2 with Jesse James Leija IMO, i thought he the 1st fight was a bit of a bad decision.

I also enjoyed Azumah Nelson's fight with Jim McDonnel. Being a brit when i see this fight last year. I was really proud of Jim McDonnel and thought he put up a hell of a fight.

Thread Information