Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

@Greenbeanz I have stickied the thread.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shawn Porter is a likeable enough guy, and accepted his loss with dignity. That being said, I don't like the way he fights. It didn't rub me the wrong way the first time I saw him... but the act is wearing thin. It was an ugly fight... but all because of Shawn Porter. What Brook has in counter-punching ability, ring generalship, and decent power..... Shawn makes up for it with head-butting, rabbit-punching, and useless mauling.

I didn't get to see the typical mannequins with the number of punches landed in various regions..... but Kell's mannequin should have an additional region in the back of the head.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Being straight, the only shit fight I saw fought was by Porter. Thought Brook looked sharp and competent and was landing far cleaner shots on a guy doing everything to make it a WWE cage match. Its refreshing to see a heavily hyped up 'star' stripped down to the frame and the underdog get his due. Resets perspective every time we anoint some guy and start talking superfights prematurely. Porter has a lot to work on.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Props to Kell. Nothing discouraged the guy in that fight. He was a man on a mission. Not only did he prove in no uncertain terms that he could fight through adversity but he also proved that he has a chin.
    I picked him to win but was not a fan but now he gained one. He was the only boxer in the ring last night and proved it. He adapted and fought his way through the garbage and kept his head which was something I thought he might lose. Right from the get go Russell was on his case and not one peep about Porter leading with his head or causing the grapple fests. Every time Porter turned his back in the middle of the festivities it was Brook that was warned about shots to the back of the head not Porter. Brook remained cool, focused and determined.

It will be interesting to see where he goes next as he has an optional. I'm hoping when the dust settles that he wont hold the title hostage. I think last night created a new star and let a lion off his chain.The confidence he would have gotten after last night should be long standing and serve him well. He's like the new Ragamuffin man.

He should do Khan right now imo especially after listening to that smug self anointed king of squat last night on the sky cast. Brook should take that high from last night and run with it straight to Khan.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Being straight, the only shit fight I saw fought was by Porter. Thought Brook looked sharp and competent and was landing far cleaner shots on a guy doing everything to make it a WWE cage match. Its refreshing to see a heavily hyped up 'star' stripped down to the frame and the underdog get his due. Resets perspective every time we anoint some guy and start talking superfights prematurely. Porter has a lot to work on.
    I agree @Spicoli, and, Gents - like many times before, I got it wrong. I'll admit it. I'm just glad I didn't lay any money out on it because I definitely considered throwing something on Porter by KO. Brook is as good as people thought he was. I like Brook-Khan in England in December. It's a fight both guys can win. Both in their prime. Would be great.

I don't think Porter is finished or anything like that either. He wasn't exposed in my opinion. He just needs a new coach to get him to smooth things out as he comes in. Maybe use the Philly shell on the way in. He also wastes a lot of energy jumping around. He should explode in in one movement if that is his style.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

Brook did what he needed to to win but I will disagree with some people. I think that porter did get exposed. I actually mentioned a while ago that I had thought that porter got a lot of unwarranted hype. He beat Alexander convincingly and then beat paulie. Both were good wins but nothing to warrant him to be the next big thing.

Porter showed that he has huge weaknesses. I don't think that he will ever raise to the top of the division. He has a style which lends itself to look impressive with some fighters but exposes huge flaws against others. He will probably stay around top 5 in the division for a while but that's about it I think. It's still a good win for brook though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Brook did what he needed to to win but I will disagree with some people. I think that porter did get exposed. I actually mentioned a while ago that I had thought that porter got a lot of unwarranted hype. He beat Alexander convincingly and then beat paulie. Both were good wins but nothing to warrant him to be the next big thing.

Porter showed that he has huge weaknesses. I don't think that he will ever raise to the top of the division. He has a style which lends itself to look impressive with some fighters but exposes huge flaws against others. He will probably stay around top 5 in the division for a while but that's about it I think. It's still a good win for brook though.
    Part of it could be that Alexander and Malignaggi aren't big welterweights and both aren't big punchers. Porter can walk through their punches to get inside and do his work. With Brook, he faced a solid, natural welterweight, who has enough pop to keep Porter honest. Brook shook Porter a few times in the fight, which was impressive.

I like Porter though and I hope he can learn from his mistakes, move forward, and get on another good streak.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shawn will have a place among the top welters as long as he's active. His Tazmanian Devil style simply overwhelms most opponents, and coupled with his physical strength and stamina, it was simply too much to handle for the likes of the Magic Man and Devon ("HeadButt") Alexander. But Kell kept his poise, counter-punched beautifully, and imposed his own size and power on Shawn. From a fan's perspective, Shawn's style is not for me. I'd much rather watch the smooth, slick Brook any day of the week.

An improved version of Naz, AND..... without the flying magic carpet rides, half-hour disco dances, and annoying big mouth.
    Kell's got himself a new fan.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the British posters who stayed up, what time did you go to sleep and are you feeling tired today?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm done with staying up. I have two little boys and my life just can't accommodate with these late nights any more I honestly find that the best way to watch these fights is as soon as they finish (set alarm/ guess work) and catch the early uploads before they get taken down.

I'm an hour behind everyone else but I'm not tired and/ or drunk
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    @Greenbeanz I have stickied the thread.
    Yes,....the day after I notice
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the British posters who stayed up, what time did you go to sleep and are you feeling tired today?
    I recorded but watched the Sunday morning repeat so that I did not have to fast forward through the usual krappy American undercards before Brook. I can not stay up to some ungodly hour anymore my health prevents me and it was my Grandsons 3rd birthday party Sunday lunchtime.

Very Happy for Brook, hopefully he will have a chance to demonstrate his top boxing skills next time out with a less ungainly opponent.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    I recorded but watched the Sunday morning repeat so that I did not have to fast forward through the usual krappy American undercards before Brook. I can not stay up to some ungodly hour anymore my health prevents me and it was my Grandsons 3rd birthday party Sunday lunchtime.

Very Happy for Brook, hopefully he will have a chance to demonstrate his top boxing skills next time out with a less ungainly opponent.
    Sky was showing the fight for free because of the football starting. I stayed up and watched Omar Figueroa vs Daniel Estrada which was a very good fight and kept me awake. Bika v Direll was poor and the sky channel went off at 4am before the Brook fight. I was annoyed. Kirland gave me a link but I went to bed.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sky was showing the fight for free because of the football starting. I stayed up and watched Omar Figueroa vs Daniel Estrada which was a very good fight and kept me awake. Bika v Direll was poor and the sky channel went off at 4am before the Brook fight. I was annoyed. Kirland gave me a link but I went to bed.
    Do you not have Sky Sports then?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you not have Sky Sports then?
    No, too much money although got sisters account to watch on computer. Come to think of it actually should have been able to watch it on the computer, forgot must be my age.

Thread Information