Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tarver vs. Lateef Kayode Saturday night fight thread

Starting @9:00 PM ET tonight here in the States and beginning at around 1:00 AM in the UK. A watchable undercard, including Winky Wright vs. Peter Quillin and a Jr. middleweight title fight, with Austin Trout vs. Delvin Rodriguez going at it.
    June 2
    At Carson, Calif. (Showtime): Antonio Tarver vs. Lateef Kayode, 12 rounds, cruiserweights; Winky Wright vs. Peter Quillin, 10 rounds, middleweights; Austin Trout vs. Delvin Rodriguez, 12 rounds, for Trout's WBA "regular" junior middleweight title; Leo Santa Cruz vs. Vusi Malinga, 12 rounds, for vacant IBF bantamweight title.

It will be interesting to see if Tarver can handle the much younger and hard hitting Kayode.

Who you kats got?
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 06-02-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tarver vs. Lateef Kayode Saturday night on Showtime

I'm really excited for this card, its like a hardcore boxing fan's PPV, budget PPV mind you, but a PPV quality card

I got Wright upsetting Quillin, its a bit of a long shot, but I've yet to see Quillin beat a real quality guy.

Trout looked very good the one time I seen him, I'll be rooting for Delvin to pull the upset.

And finally I see Tarver schooling Kayode after weathering the early onslaught, I really do see a Tarver UD or late TKO.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I'm really excited for this card, its like a hardcore boxing fan's PPV, budget PPV mind you, but a PPV quality card

I got Wright upsetting Quillin, its a bit of a long shot, but I've yet to see Quillin beat a real quality guy.

Trout looked very good the one time I seen him, I'll be rooting for Delvin to pull the upset.

And finally I see Tarver schooling Kayode after weathering the early onslaught, I really do see a Tarver UD or late TKO.
    I haven't even seen Kayode or Austin Trout fight ever, but I think you're reallllly hoping on the Wright upset. Winky looked completely spent against Williams which must have been a couple of years ago now already, before that it was a similar layoff after looking bloated and old against Hopkins etc. Quillin if nothing else is very athletic and in good condition, I can't see him losing here even if he doesn't manage to shine. I expect next to nothing from Winky mind you, and it would be fun if he could regain some form.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tarver & Trout easy! Quillin too I think...
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

I haven't even seen Kayode or Austin Trout fight ever, but I think you're reallllly hoping on the Wright upset. Winky looked completely spent against Williams which must have been a couple of years ago now already, before that it was a similar layoff after looking bloated and old against Hopkins etc. Quillin if nothing else is very athletic and in good condition, I can't see him losing here even if he doesn't manage to shine. I expect next to nothing from Winky mind you, and it would be fun if he could regain some form.
    All thats true and I really don't care too much about the Wright fight as I've never been a fan of his or his boring, spoiler, terrible style.

I'm just rooting for the old vet as I nearly always do.

And I think he's HUNGRY again.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky did not have a boring spoiler style in his day. I can totally understand finding him bad to watch, but calling him a spoiler really isn't fair imo. He was essentially a pressure fighter, almost always coming forward and had a great jab. He couldn't hit much and kept his guard up, but he rarely held or moved away from his opponent for lengths of time. He had a very effective and underrated offense imo, his style wasn't negative in the vein of a spoiler as he really fought hard to win every round fair and square.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

winky is one of the most boring fighters ever.. Lets not make it sound like he was anything different during his prime cuz he was always the same old stinky.

I always told my friend that stinky could be fighting a 50ft giant woman with her titties all hangin out and I still wouldnt watch it.

peter beats him without trouble at this point.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With regard to Wright/Quillin, I'm rooting for Winky because I find it somewhat ridiculous that Quillin on multiple occasions calls out Martinez and then decides to face Winky Wright, the same Winky Wright that is 1-2-1 in his last four fights, and in his last fight got starched by Paul Williams.

I lean with Trout against Rodriguez although this is by far Trout's biggest step up. Rodriguez has been in tougher, but I'm not sure with anyone as dynamic as Trout.

I like Tarver against Kayode. Kayode didn't look good against a guy that is only an average boxer, Scanuzzi (sp?), a few fights ago, which leads me to believe Tarver will outbox him, if he hasn't aged too much.

El Kabong Guest

I want to see Tarver sparked cold....sorry, I just HAVE to see it

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This should be a good night of boxing, Trout vs. Rodriguez figures to be action packed, i'd like to see Delvin pick up a title.
    The 43 year old Tarver might be biting off a little more then he can chew here. Kayode is a raw talent, but he does have some pop in his punches, and Freddie Roach will have him ready, so we shall see.

As for Winky vs Quillin, Wright probably 'wins' with his experience in a close, boring one they give to Quillin.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tell me this is not PPV over there?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Tell me this is not PPV over there?
    No, sorry for the confusion. I was just sayin its as good or better than some PPV cards and its free on Showtime.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the better fights on the card isn't being shown on regular Showtime: Bika v. Davis. It's Davis's biggest test thus far.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    One of the better fights on the card isn't being shown on regular Showtime: Bika v. Davis. It's Davis's biggest test thus far.
    Dyah Davis ?

I like Bika a lot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Dyah Davis ?

I like Bika a lot.
    Maybe I'm off on the name, but he's the son of a what's his name, the famous Olympian boxer.

Thread Information