Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Im 19 years old n want to start

Hey guys im new to the forum, a lil bout myself, im from toronto, i am 19 years old and love to box, im 5'9 220lbs. I am not new to the sport of training in general i have been bodybuilding for the past 3 years and have been pretty dedicated at that... You know wat gyus Ive always had the love for the sport of boxing, my father used to box at a competetive level and as well as my older half brother. i want to do the same. i actually want to take all of my focus and try to make something out of this sport. I just cant wiat to begin, any tips for begininners? wat should my first steps be? Mentally, aswell as training wise. im going to search the forums aswell, im just excited cant wait to get it crackin. im goin to be a familliar member on this forum and i will definitly post pics, videos and my overall progress. thnx

- EXR

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Im 19 years old n want to start

First things first, find a gym or trainer near you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, then go to it and check it out. are the guys welcoming? or do they seem like diks? is it your kind of gym? or really dirty and grungy and not for you?

once you find a gym, join.

And my personal feeling is that you should give up weights and focus more on flexibility and quickness and do more pylometrics.

Don't be discouraged. A lot of guys get in the gym and think because they've seen it on TV that it can't be too tough. But trust me, you'll be doing everything wrong at first. Just stick with it and be open to criticism.

You might want to buy yourself some shoes and gloves, too. Gloves first though. I hated using the gloves at the gym because they stink... that's so gross having to use wet gloves someone else had on.

check out ringside.com or titleboxing.com. Or sometimes the gym will sell stuff. That way you can try gloves on.

First things first, get 108" wraps and learn to wrap them.

There are sureloy plenty of gyms in T.O.

what part of T.O. are you from/in? I'm from St. Catharines now living in greater Detroit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.exr
    Hey guys im new to the forum, a lil bout myself, im from toronto, i am 19 years old and love to box, im 5'9 220lbs. I am not new to the sport of training in general i have been bodybuilding for the past 3 years and have been pretty dedicated at that... You know wat gyus Ive always had the love for the sport of boxing, my father used to box at a competetive level and as well as my older half brother. i want to do the same. i actually want to take all of my focus and try to make something out of this sport. I just cant wiat to begin, any tips for begininners? wat should my first steps be? Mentally, aswell as training wise. im going to search the forums aswell, im just excited cant wait to get it crackin. im goin to be a familliar member on this forum and i will definitly post pics, videos and my overall progress. thnx

- EXR
    find a gym or trainer asap.....start stretching as much as possible and be prepard to lose some of that excess muscle you've gained through bodybuilding...It will not help you in boxing at all...in fact I'm going to guess that you have close to 20 inch arms right?....as far as lifting goes you will be looking at sets of 25, 20, 15 reps...its about stamina now....without getting into fighting shape you will tire extremely fast and not have the "snap" on your punches due to the extreme muscle size......don't worry...you can work through this....get ready to do some serious cardio as well...and I don't mean the stair masters or tread mills......remember Joe Louis could KO any man alive but he couldn't bench 225lbs........power is more in the speed and execution.....but you will be able to impose your will on pretty much everybody........good luck........
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That fact about Joe Louis is amazing. Slow weight-lifting is useless in boxing, IMO. Lift many reps fast or don't lift aty all. Again, MO. Emulating the real motion is how you get better. It's like sprinters running downhill to get the legs moving faster.

I'm amazed at how many muscle head guys think they're tough when come to our gym. Then they hit the bag for the first time and look like trolls with zero speed or pop or coordination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whatever they all said!!!!

Thread Information