Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pushing the bag

One of the trainers at the gym I'm at, came up to me while I was working the bag and said that I often 'push the bag' when I throw my right hand.

I asked him how I can avoid that, he simply punched the bag 2-3 times and said 'like that'. I was still a bit unclear what he meant... but I'm guessing maybe I'm not snapping my hand back properly or maybe its a range issue.. not a hundred percent sure.

Any tips? things I can try to avoid 'pushing the bag'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pushing the bag

Whats the difference between the push and the punch physically? From the stand point of the object being pushed/punched is a force which is working for a given interval of time... The push is the force generated from your muscles only and the punch is the force generated from your inertia. So here is the solution: When you focus yourself on pushing with the shoulder and breast muscles you automatically reduce the inertia of your body. But if you focus on pulling with your back muscle you put all the inertia into the punch... Thats why Scrap says all the time to focus on pulling with your back which rotates your shoulders rather to push. The rotational inertia is what kills(except the jab). Thats why in order to create power is extremely important to be always in balance and to rotate your whole body rather to push...

About the "snapping of the hand". If you do it to soon you kills your follow true . (Here I've started to explain why it so important but it turns out to be a physic lecture of no interest) You must snap your hand after the punch is complete in order to create max damage and be always balanced because if you miss it is bad news...
    Last edited by Andre; 10-10-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: English is a stupid launguage. Some words sound the same but dont read the same. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great Post Nikola!

That makes sense... I just tried it shadow boxing and it feels a lot better. I see why you say proper balance is absolutely necessary.

I'm going to have to test it fully when I go for training tonight.

Thanks

expertboxing Guest

You trainer is referring to "snapping punches". Pushing the bag means you're just pushing the bag and shoving your punch all the way through. Punching the bag means you're using an explosive snap and retracting the arm quickly after it makes contact.

Try this link below. How to Throw a Snapping Punch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by expertboxing View Post
    You trainer is referring to "snapping punches". Pushing the bag means you're just pushing the bag and shoving your punch all the way through. Punching the bag means you're using an explosive snap and retracting the arm quickly after it makes contact.

Try this link below. How to Throw a Snapping Punch

thanks for the link... bookmarked the website.

I'll be browsing through it when I get some free time on my hands

Thread Information