Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pavlik....Godzilla of the middleweights.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Pavlik....Godzilla of the middleweights.

Tonight was proof that Pavlik needs to clean house in the Middlewieght division. That's unless they pursue Calzaghe and he actually is willing to fight a true champ in his prime. Something he has failed to do his entire career. So bad rep me if you want but I really want to see a super fight at 168 giving Pavlik the shot to to hold three world titles in three classes since Herny Armstrong.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pavlik....Godzilla of the middleweights.

Don't see why you'd be bad repped for saying that. I don't see that fight happening though. I like Joe (not necessarily a fan) but he is getting long in the tooth in boxing years and I prefer him fighting those suited for him.

I heard the announcer mention a RJJ match up. I wouldn't hold it against Joe now to make as much $$ as he can at this point fighting these type of match ups, similar to the Hopkins fight. I seriously don't think he has it to fight the best there is right now, and I think they know that. So from a marketing stand point, it is smart.

I also don't feel he really has anything to prove. I suspect people are just hoping to see him lose before he finishes though. Maybe he will, who knows, but I doubt it will be against a Pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lockett landed a few hard shots in the first round and they didn't even phaze pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not sure how long it will remain live on you tube, but here goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVnxd_yc6KY

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lockett couldnt KO Ryan Rhodes so wot chance did he have of Knocking out a man who had taken shots of Miranda etc.
    answer - no chance wot so ever. his ranking at number 1 contender was questionable at best.
    and WTF was Warren talking about after the fight ? is he for real ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik did what alot of champs find hard to do,turn up for the smaller fights. How any times have we seen guys lookk awesome on the big stage then lose their title to some unknown mandatory? Excellent performance,looked sharp,awesome bodyhots and the jab right hand is a thing of beauty. How hard does the guy hit,Lockett was blocking the punches and still getting hurt!?1

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a mystry to me why people bang on about how predictable Pavlik is , and how he does a few things very well.
    The fact is he is a formidable fighter and good to watch , also hes a good guy.

He should stay at middle as long as he can make the weight , i hope he fights Abraham next.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Its a mystry to me why people bang on about how predictable Pavlik is , and how he does a few things very well.

He should stay at middle as long as he can make the weight , i hope he fights Abraham next.
    That's the truth, plain and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

His defensive skills have been great in his last two fights. He bats the punches with his gloves. I like that. It was a art that Harry Grebb and Jack Johnson perfected. It is a lost art and its great to see a champ today use that technique.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Massacre !

I knew Locket would get knocked out early but this was even more brutal than I had imagined

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lockett said post fight that he did not see the punches coming. That one statement says a lot, let me explain.

Pavlik punches hard with everything he throws, but he never loads up and telegraphs even though he is not fast. He seems to like it when guys try to do a peekaboo defense as he will thread that needle and still get to them. he did it against Miranda, Taylor and now Lockett. He will even sometimes bat his opponents left glove away with a left hook and deliver a right hand behind it.

It is actually very precision technical stuff. It is those little things that will make him tough to beat.

Many want to see Winky fight him, but Winky and his peekaboo is made for Pavlik. Winky is a lefty but he squares up. It will take a guy with very good head movement and footwork to beat him. Same thing will happen to Abraham, he likes Peekaboo also and will also get beaten down.

Joe has the best chance being very awkward as well as a lefty. He will have to keep moving though and not square up. It is a good tough fight and whoever forces their style better wins the fight.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 06-08-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    Tonight was proof that Pavlik needs to clean house in the Middlewieght division. That's unless they pursue Calzaghe and he actually is willing to fight a true champ in his prime. Something he has failed to do his entire career. So bad rep me if you want but I really want to see a super fight at 168 giving Pavlik the shot to to hold three world titles in three classes since Herny Armstrong.
    Jeff Lacy and Michael Kessler don't count for anything then?

I'm not even a Calzaghe fan, but that comment is a bit unfair considering 24 out of 25 writers in the US predicted Lacy was going to pulverise him.

Not to mention the Kessler will destro Joe threads on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Lockett is much inferior to Calzaghe but remember the first knockdown was only the second of Lockett's career. So if Pavlik can do what he did to a guy that had only been down once in his career....you can guess what's going to happen with other guys he's going to face.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post
    I know Lockett is much inferior to Calzaghe but remember the first knockdown was only the second of Lockett's career. So if Pavlik can do what he did to a guy that had only been down once in his career....you can guess what's going to happen with other guys he's going to face.

Locket was a light middle though . You could see when they stood together Pav looked several sizes bigger than Gary .

Saying that I do think Pav has the power to hurt Joe but what he'll find in that welshman is a guy whos got a smarter boxing brain and always finds a way to win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik is predictable in the sense that he will knock you out, but that's it imo. He can improve alot though and that is scary.
    Last edited by hackey; 06-08-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Thread Information