It appears that Larry Merchant will be back in the HBO broadcast booth for at least two more years. Kevin Iole reports that Merchant agreed to a two-year contract extension with HBO, and a two-year mutual option to appear in the same role on half of all HBO World Championship Boxing and HBO Pay-Per-View events.

Iole notes, and it's almost disturbing, that 15-months ago, HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg agreed to give Merchant’s spot to Max Kellerman. What it comes down to is simple, Merchant was negotiating for a job that didn't exist because Kellerman, 33, was already promised the spot. A source told Iole that Kellerman was promised the job in March 2006 and would start in the role once Merchant's contract ran out at the end of May 07. Merchant, 76, told Iole that he's very happy to be back.

“In general, my attitude has been that I’ve been a leading man forever and that I was willing to take a step back in some transitional sort of role,” Merchant said. “That’s been my attitude from the start. Let’s just say that it’s been a long, long negotiation.