Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is it just me or are there loads of British fighters getting A-list fights?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is it just me or are there loads of British fighters getting A-list fights?

I'm sure you guys can name more than me, but it seems that loads of UK boxers are getting massive shots against A-list fighters?

Quite a few seem to be on a massive mismatch too, on a hiding to nothing, but still cool to be getting a shot.

Barker vs Martinez
    Chisora vs Klitshcko (although fell through)

+ loads loads of others I can't be assed to type out and I'm sure others will be able to list better than me (clearly by my Chisora example)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mckloskey vs Maidana, but it's going to be a great fight infront of Pauls home fans.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is it just me or are there loads of British fighters getting A-list fights?

Sturm v. Macklin.

Bute v. Magee.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Alvarez

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is it just me or are there loads of British fighters getting A-list fights?

Britain has many great talents so it's only right for them to get these big fights. I just want to see more of Kevin Mitchell.. Can't wait till the Murray fight. Apparently, many people got off the bandwagon after the Kat loss but I still think he's the goods. I just hope he gets his personal issues in order and gets his mind right because he has all the tools in the world to become a major player... The first few times I saw him, I called him a supernatural. I was that impressed..

War Mitchell!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On a smaller level, Willie Casey got to be beaten up for a round by Guillermo Rigondeaux. I think it's because by and large Brits are much more willing to travel than other Europeans, who often would rather milk it at home than head out to the States. We also speak English, which all helps in the promotion.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems to me a lot of these guys have good records, are unknown to American fans, and thus look good on an A-list guy's record.

That is to say, they make good opponents.

Most are game, tough guys, but completely over matched.

Hatton vs. Alvarez springs to mind.

I have great admiration for how much grit Matthew Hatton showed that night though.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm happy to see our boys step in against the best if they put up a great effort and lose it's still more beneficial to them than staying at home defending the european time after time of the wbu/ibo(which actually aint that bad imo)/intercontinentals etc. Just be good to see more upsets every now and then.

If Macklin is going to stand any chance of winning he needs to watch tapes of his last few performances and do the opposite

Mcloskey is pretty wild but i think Maidana will be too strong. I was gutted when he got stopped against Khan he was losing every round but he wasn'y getting battered and i kept getting the feeling it was only a matter of time until he landed one of his wild shots and dropped Khan lol

Thread Information