Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Foyds jab

Hey, I need info from you technical types. I have always been in awe at Fioyds jab. Accurate, constant, effective and helps him dominate the fight. No one has an answer to it. I just wanted to ask someone knowledgeable how can a fighter answer such a dominate jab. To be honest, that damn jab is one of the reasons I love to watch Floyd fights

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where's NVsemin, he should be able to give me some insight on this question. NV, are you out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Foyds jab

Hi Walrus,
    In a nutshell, Floyd's brilliance with the jab is a result of his extraordinary timing and efficient strategic usage, which were finely honed from a extremely well-developed defensive/counterattacking foundation courtesy of Floyd Sr.

I think there's only one guy in the game right now who has the ability to defeat Mayweather at this own game and that's Andre Ward; who's willing to meet him at a catchweight. This is a pipe dream however, as Floyd won't entertain it to any degree.

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, that helps. Do you say that as Andre has a great jab himself or would a another Floyd negating the jab.It seems like me you are in marvel of Floyd's jab. I would like to see someone take away time limit it as I think it would make for a different .Floyd
    F

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The secret to Floyd's jab is that he usually throws it from a hand position that the smart guys in here like to advocate - from the chest level or below. Not only does it come from a position that is a little outside of his opponent's field of vision but it is simply a more natural, fluid and therefore faster way to throw it. From here he can also choose to throw his best punch (and perhaps the most underrated, safe and consistently effective punch in boxing) - the jab to the solar plexus. The reason why Floyd is able to land the jab so effectively is not because of pure speed but because he is constantly feinting a number of different options. Once again you can't effectively feint if your gloves are glued to your ears because from there your opponent can always see both your hands. In my opinion this is why a lot of the undercards feature guys earmuffing toe to toe who are able to engage in constant and seemingly brutal exchanges. This isn't just because they take punches to the gloves but because even if they end up getting hit left, right and center they are able to track most of the punch trajectories because they are coming from an eye-level position. Now because Floyd's opponent becomes wary of everything the left hand is doing below he is able to sneak in lead rights from above and over the top. A lot of the time later in a fight Floyd will sucker guys by simply glancing at the belly before unleashing a right hand to the head then rolling under and away. He's also able to land his lead left hook because he'll lower his weight and trail his left hand as if to throw that jab to the solar plexus but when his opponent mirrors him but drops his right hand to parry he whips in the left hook to where their glove should have been.

If you want a mind opener search through Ask the Trainer threads featuring greynotsoold, Andre and Chris Nagel. They go into more detail about "old school" and "alternative" techniques and concepts that are really just the proper ways to box.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something to consider, about being comfortable and loose in the ring. You get to a point where your jab is just natural to you, like a snake flicking it's tongue. When you throw the 'jab' you know, without thinking, if you are just popping it out there, or putting some shoulder into it, or bringing it up from your hip as you push off your right foot, which is a very punishing blow.
    You can do that because you are so at ease in the ring that another professional throwing punches at you doesn't matter because you know distance; that means that you don't even pay attention, much less react, to most of the gloves flying around the ring. When you do, you move just a hair and pop that jab. Your punch lands, his misses and most don't even notice.
    There is a point where, no matter what one punch, no matter how fast a guy may be, everybody leaves themselves open. My friend was taught this by Emile Griffith and it is true; you can see it watching yourself in the mirror. No matter how little you telegraph your punches, there is that spot, always. when you are really loose and insanely confident is your ability not to get hit, and your ability to take it if you do, it gets really easy to just reach out and touch those openings.

Thread Information