Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sturm v Macklin - Who won?

Simple poll, it will give a more true opinion of the Saddo community if only people vote on the poll who scored the fight properly round by round as the fight progressed. Thats how fights are scored by the judges ringside so thats how we should score it too.

I had it 118-110 Macklin, I only gave Sturm rounds 10 and 12 and I thought it was a disgusting decision. I want to know if my opinion is bakced up or refuted by the fans in the know.
    Last edited by J_C; 06-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sturm v Macklin - Who won?

It was a very close and competitive fight. 118-110 Macklin would certainly have been a disgusting decision imo. He fought well and outworked Sturm, especially early, but all the accurate and powerful shots came from Sturm and he finished well on top imo. I thought Macklin was really fading down the stretch although it was still very close as I felt Macklin had built up an early lead. But for me the superior fighter got the decision. He started slowly, but got into the fight as the rounds went on and he was blocking most of Macklin's output. I imagine the punch stats probably show Macklin throwing several hundred more but only landing the same as Sturm. Certainly Sturm landed all the eye catching stuff. He got the nod in his home town and I didn't see it as any more controversial than Froch-Dirrell, or Kessler-Froch. just a very close (and good) fight that went to the defending champion in his home country, the way close fights usually do.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think people have a tendency to call any close decision in germany a robbery, just cause its in germany. Going to have to download the fight and watch it but sounds like most any round could have gone to either fighter so I don't know how you can have a robbery in a fight like that.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

116-112 Sturm. Fight was competitive. Most rounds were close. Still thought it was clear-cut win for Sturm

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    116-112 Sturm. Fight was competitive. Most rounds were close. Still thought it was clear-cut win for Sturm
    The last couple rounds I thought Macklin was going to get knocked out. He may have built up lead by punching Sturms gloves and arms a lot but if you are scoring boxing and accurate punches landed, damage done etc it's hard to argue against a Sturm win imo.

It was clearly going Sturm's way by the end of the 12th and so he deserved to keep his belt. Gallant effort from Macklin but I believe you have to take the title from the champion and as he was almost out on his feet by the end clearly he didn't do that. Good effort though.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    The last couple rounds I thought Macklin was going to get knocked out. He may have built up lead by punching Sturms gloves and arms a lot but if you are scoring boxing and accurate punches landed, damage done etc it's hard to argue against a Sturm win imo.

It was clearly going Sturm's way by the end of the 12th and so he deserved to keep his belt. Gallant effort from Macklin but I believe you have to take the title from the champion and as he was almost out on his feet by the end clearly he didn't do that. Good effort though.
    Well said. Macklin was certainly the busier fighter. And he won some rounds by pretty much out working Felix. But pretty much all the best punches were landed by Sturm. I give Mack credit. He was game. He fought a good fight. Should leave the sport on this high note.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had Macklin up, just.

I thought a draw was fair, didn't see it wide for Sturm at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

another 2o seconds and i think Sturm would of had him out of there, Macklin fought his heart out tho and deserves credit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gave it to Sturm by two rounds but a lot of the rounds were hard to score - Macklin had a higher work rate but looked like the more accurate and quality shots were coming from Sturm.

Could have argued for a decision either way with the rounds the way they were but I agree Macklin payed for a fast start and faded toward the end. No robbery for me just a close fight and an entertaining one too.
    'To speak with his equal and irish man is forced to talk with God...'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The last couple rounds I thought Macklin was going to get knocked out. He may have built up lead by punching Sturms gloves and arms a
    lot but if you are scoring boxing and accurate punches landed, damage done etc it's hard to argue against a
    Sturm win imo.
    It was clearly going Sturm's way by the end of the 12th and so he deserved to keep his belt. Gallant
    effort from Macklin but I believe you have to take the title from the champion and as he was almost out on his feet by the end clearly he didn't do that. Good effort though.
    Totally agree, although Sturm never won it by 4 rounds tho - you have to do more to take the champs title wherever the fight is. Brings me on to Haye / VT - he's gonna have to knock him out methinks - can't wait!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking at some polls from other forums, some with over 100 votes, all have Macklin the winner.

I reckon he would have won the fight anywhere but the other guys backyard. Just unlucky he was the away fighter. Great fight though. Well done Macklin.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i scored it 116-112 for Macklin...i agree sturm did land the more eye catching shots but macklin was the much busier fighter throughout the fight

job biscuit (macklin hopefully get another chance...for a galant effort)!!!

eh eh!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the most pathetic notion in boxing.

The champion doesn't get a head start. He fights under the exact same rules as the challenger. If you are naturally favouring the belt holder your scoring is clearly flawed/worthless.

And if you think Macklin was hitting just gloves and arms, checkout the left side of Sturms body. It was red raw after just a few rounds.
    Last edited by Fenster; 06-26-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

That's the most pathetic notion in boxing.

The champion doesn't get a head start. He fights under the exact same rules as the challenger. If you are naturally favouring the belt holder your scoring is clearly flawed/worthless.
    Yeah i've never understood that. It's like giving Barcelona a 1 goal head-start.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didnt think sturm won by 4rounds it was alot closer if not a macklin win imo, strum was lazy and dissapionting for all but the last few rounds, he looked like he cudnt be arsed! I think we all thought macklin stood little chance of a ko so it was gona be up to a high work rate which he achived, i agree strum threw more hurtful/powerful shots but bar the last round or so he didnt throw many, strum was very dissapointing if he'd of put the effort in like the last round he'd of probley got an early -mid fight ko,macklin was clearly up for it and did land alot of shots, probley more noticeable to the body, think mackin should hav got a draw at the very least, either way he did himself and britain proud!

Thread Information