Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A beginner desperate to box!

Hello, this is my first post here and I recently fell in love with boxing! I really want to become a big time professional boxer someday and I have come here to ask some knowledgable people to guide me. I am 17 years old, I weight about 170 lbs(+-5lbs), my height is 6'2-6'3, I have never fought in a boxing match(closest i came is on my xbox 360), and I have a punching bag available and free wieghts to train with for now.

I honestly have no idea what to do to become a professional boxer. Maybe I am too old, idk, but I have so much passion for it. I am a very motivated and dedicated person, and I just need some guidance. I need to get in shape, as I have around 12% body fat and my max(bench) is only 150. I have no idea how to train, how much to run, how much to lift, what exercises to do, and how long and often. Right now it is impossible for me to join a boxing gym, but I will be able to in 6-10 months.

Some of the other questions are do I need a trainer? are they expensive? How can I sign up for amateur fights? How long would it take for me to be able to fight as an amateur? Do I need some kind of a license? Would I get brain damage from fighting? How do I practice specific punches on my punching bag? When do I know I am ready to start fighting? Could I possibly fight heavyweight, or is it impossible to gain that much muscle? Also, is it okay if I have contacts, or do I need a 20/20 vision?

To anyone who takes time out of their busy day to read this and reply, I thank you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A beginner desperate to box!

phew not much eh? Are you in the US/UK? At school/college on a farm!

First of all you're not to old to box, how far you can go depends on many variables, how naturally athletic you are, how much time you dedicate how good your trainer is and that's without going in any detail. Forget about figures like how much you can bench. Does anyone know how much top fighters can bench? Not really as it doesn't translate in to making you a good boxer.

If you don't have a gym do you have any other contact martial arts in your area, kickboxing, muay thai - yes when you box you will have to adjust your style but at least you will have got a taste of the fitness level involved and sparring.
    If you have nothing you may be able to learn something by yourself, I say may, much depends on how attentive you are to your own movements, but you will still need a trainer and you are more likely to pick up bad habits which take a hell of a lot of shifting. Might not be what you want to hear.

If you really want to get a head start work on your physical fitness, (are you at school/college?) does it have a sprint/ middle distance running team? Power lifting? Do you have a YMCA or other club that has circuit training? I would focus on that rather than risk bad habits if I had no other choice.

Yes you need a trainer.
    Depends if you pay as a group, some offer 1-2-1 training.
    Through an amateur boxing club
    Tough one, are you talking like ending? Small chance but there is a small %, most don't
    You need to learn the technique before putting them in to combinations.
    Your trainer can guide you, let them know you want to fight rather than train for fitness.
    Possibly but those are some BIG guys do you really want to get hit by a 6'5" 230lb guy?
    Eyesight regs seem to depend on each commission/association.

Hope that helps.

I demand a cool click

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have one back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thank you missy! So until I get a trainer, I should just focus on getting in shape? On average, how much running,lifting would that involve every day?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner90
    thank you missy! So until I get a trainer, I should just focus on getting in shape? On average, how much running,lifting would that involve every day?
    Hi mate im 17 aswell just got speedbag been training for ages going to gym soon right i train about 4 times a week start off slow at first bro then work your way up and remember to warm up before you start training

right i can't answer most of your questions sorry im not really experienced as other peeps in here but you said something about can you get brain damage and answer is yes you can not as much in amateur because you have headgear but you still can its very dangerous sport and takes alot of times physically and mentally so if you really love sport and want to give it go ahead but if your not sure just remember you can get badly hurt in boxing so just think over somethings first mate

good luck to you peace

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner90
    For now if you have no other alternatives.

Do you have a current fitness routine?

Thread Information