Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Got freaked out this morning

Just need to have a bitch because I got a bit of a scare this morning.

Was cycling to boxing training. I deliberately live close to my gym so it's not far at all.

Was cycling in a cycling lane down a road close to a golf course. I cut through the golf course, cycle down this road a few hundred metres and then go through a pedestrian train crossing to get to the suburb where my boxing club is.

Then out of nowhere I get yelled at by some guy in a car coming the other way. I'm across the other side of the road cycling the opposite way in the bike lane so there's no way I'm in his way.

I just automatically gave him the finger and kept cycling. I didn't catch what he was yelling but the tone was abusive so I just though Wanker and kept going.

He must have driven on for a minute then decided to turn around.

For some reason I decided to look behind me and I saw him coming back after me!

I got off the roda where he couldn't follow in his car - behind trees etc.

He pulled up in the bike lane and got out of his car and tried to chase me yelling in Arabic!

I was too fast for him on the bike and got to the train track while cars were slowing down wondering what the hell was going on so I got away pretty easily.

If hadn't looked back and seen him coming and was still on the road what would have happened?

If I was a 12 year old little girl or something who didn't think to look or know what to do what would have happened?

There were not that many cars around.

I'm so angry that I have to worry about this in my usually safe neighbourhood at 10 am.

The only reason I can think he decided to yell abuse at me in the first place is because I was wearing training clothes - summer here so they're just shorts and a singlet. Maybe judging by his language he's from somewhere that's not acceptable and he needed to tell me about it?!?!

I never expected to get this in Adelaide of all places!

All the muslim people I know through the university are really nice and treat me with nothing but respect and professionalism. They come to our country ready to accept that the culture is different here without making an issue out of it.

I visited a muslim country once (Brunei) and abided by the cultural rules by comvering up a bit.

Now though that there is obviously one fundamentalist Nutjob in my area I have to what - carry lead balls on my bike to smash windscreen if I have to? A brother of mine who rides motornikes keeps lead balls with him in case he gets trouble on the road.

Creepy, Creepy, Creepy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Got freaked out this morning

You never know whats going to set somebody off
    I mean years ago Im walking down the road in the middle of nowhere with my buddy Larry
    This guy goes whipping by,and obviously swerves at us,it was the way he hit the gravel and got right back on the road that was a clue,I mean the guy just missed us
    So I give him the one didgit waive
    The SOB has the audacity to go get the cops,and claim we were smoking weed
    I didnt so much as drink at the time,it was the Camels we had walked in to town to get that we were smoking
    This little hand gesture ended up costing me $125 for disorderly conduct
    There is allways someone out there who is out of their teeny tiny little mind

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I can see he clearly has you unsettled as your usually impeccable spelling has gone to shit.

Roda and motornikes are certainly not words in my lexicon

As for the Arab if you have any more dealings with him just make an anonymous tip off to the police that you've seen an Arabic man interfering with nearby cattle.

As soon as it hits the papers he'll read it and assume he's been caught in the act and hopefully flee the country.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had a great morning today.
    Got to work and the coffee was nice and fresh.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK View Post
    I had a great morning today.
    Got to work and the coffee was nice and fresh.
    You'd make a great charity campaigner Mick. I can imagine you going to an African refugee camp and listening to the distressed cries of anguished parents unable to feed their children and you saying 'Well I had a sumptous hamburger with fries and a diet coke '

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post

Was cycling to boxing training. I deliberately live close to my gym so it's not far at all.

Was cycling in a cycling lane down a road close to a golf course. I cut through the golf course, cycle down this road a few hundred metres and then go through a pedestrian train crossing to get to the suburb where my boxing club is.

Then out of nowhere I get yelled at by some guy in a car coming the other way. I'm across the other side of the road cycling the opposite way in the bike lane so there's no way I'm in his way.

I just automatically gave him the finger and kept cycling. I didn't catch what he was yelling but the tone was abusive so I just though Wanker and kept going.

He pulled up in the bike lane and got out of his car and tried to chase me yelling in Arabic!

I was too fast for him on the bike and got to the train track while cars were slowing down wondering what the hell was going on so I got away pretty easily.

If hadn't looked back and seen him coming and was still on the road what would have happened?

If I was a 12 year old little girl or something who didn't think to look or know what to do what would have happened?

I'm so angry that I have to worry about this in my usually safe neighbourhood at 10 am.

The only reason I can think he decided to yell abuse at me in the first place is because I was wearing training clothes - summer here so they're just shorts and a singlet. Maybe judging by his language he's from somewhere that's not acceptable and he needed to tell me about it?!?!

All the muslim people I know through the university are really nice and treat me with nothing but respect and professionalism. They come to our country ready to accept that the culture is different here without making an issue out of it.

I visited a muslim country once (Brunei) and abided by the cultural rules by comvering up a bit.

Now though that there is obviously one fundamentalist Nutjob in my area I have to what - carry lead balls on my bike to smash windscreen if I have to? A brother of mine who rides motornikes keeps lead balls with him in case he gets trouble on the road.

Creepy, Creepy, Creepy!
    Wish you'd got his number.

Got a mobile? IF theres no way out,
    Obviously stareing and bending forwards reading out someones car number into a phone can stop them in their tracks. Even if your not connected you read out the car type and those plates out real loud so he can hear you and your usually safe and they are defused from further action.

Yell out fire! fire! fire! and everyone in the street will come out looking, forget yelling "help" it doesnt work as good anymore.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    You'd make a great charity campaigner Mick. I can imagine you going to an African refugee camp and listening to the distressed cries of anguished parents unable to feed their children and you saying 'Well I had a sumptous hamburger with fries and a diet coke '
    Oh! trust me Bilbs I have shitty mornings...
    Just that today happened to be a good morning for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Wish you'd got his number.

Got a mobile? IF theres no way out,
    Obviously stareing and bending forwards reading out someones car number into a phone can stop them in their tracks. Even if your not connected you read out the car type and those plates out real loud so he can hear you and your usually safe and they are defused from further action.

Yell out fire! fire! fire! and everyone in the street will come out looking, forget yelling "help" it doesnt work as good anymore.
    A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend was driving home from work and some guy was being a total asshole sitting right up her ass and swerving side to side as if to try to get around.. She got sick of him and stuck her finger up also, and the guy drove onto the dirt on the side of the road to get beside her... She sped up but she's got a little car so never really got away.. He was being a crazy bastard behind her from about 10 minutes... She tried to contact me but I wasn't quite home yet either... She also tried to make a scene of getting onto her phone, but he didn't care or back off... Finally I got home and heard her histarical message on the answering machine.. I called her back to find she'd pulled up outside a police station, but the guy was STILL driving backwards and forwards up and down the road sticking their finger up at her on each pass and making slashes across their neck signal things... She was too shit scared to even get out of the car and walk into the police station..

So I jumped in my car and swear I drove about 130 miles an hour to the police station and drove around the area for a couple of minutes looking for the bastard.... My adrenaline was pumping so bad I was getting freakin spasms in my back which were painful!
    Fortunately or unfortantely I didn't find his car because I was so mad I would have just ran it off the road...

But point is, men can not handle their ego being dented by a girl not afraid to stick up the finger and tell them what they are doing is not on.
    Second point, I guess some people don't even care if the police might get involved.
    Third point,,, well, I don't know a third point.. some men are totally f'ked in the head maybe??

I think you'll be right sharla... When stuff like that happens to me, I just think, if that's how much someone gets worked up over something tiny like that,,, imagine how shit they must go around feeling ALL day

It's a shame you get chased off the street in your home town of Adelaide by someone who obviously does not respect what Australia is and really shouldn't be welcome here...

As Lyle says,,, it's not racism, it's just principle!! Some of them just should not be allowed here...
    Last edited by Dizaster; 02-16-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to cheer you both up here's one of my all time favourite Youtube vids of a little old lady getting her own back on a complete tool in his car.

Watch closely, it's hilarious

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LFs-9A6FMb4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    Just to cheer you both up here's one of my all time favourite Youtube vids of a little old lady getting her own back on a complete tool in his car.

Watch closely, it's hilarious

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LFs-9A6FMb4

lol He had it coming
    WHO NEXT ?Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post

Creepy, Creepy, Creepy!
    People are people no matter where you go.

BTW, just because he yells something out in arabic, or dressed like an arab doesn't mean he's automatically a muslim extremist.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw this vid a few months ago, it was some guy name Ackbar. I think his from the middle east or somewhere around there. This motherFxxker was raping a women, the only reason I think his name is Ackbar is because the women was screaming out the name Ackbar appearing to plead the guy to stop. She was crying and begging, i think there was another guy who was holding the camera. He might be the men name Ackbar but whoever those motherFxxker were they had me so mad. I believe the women was filipina cause of her light skin dark hair and accent, that made me a lot more mad. I really wanted to kill those animals, if you guys would of seen this vid it was just so upsetting. Its the only real rape video Ive ever seen. That almost made me want to join the u.s. army just so I can get back at those damn animals. I tried to do more research on who that women was, i tried the news everywhere but i really didn't find anything related to that vid but i know it was a real crime. I just hope justice is serve and those motherfxxkers get hanged after being raped by beer bottles. Animals like that don't have a place in this world. Onces found they should be tortured and then eradicated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    People are people no matter where you go.

BTW, just because he yells something out in arabic, or dressed like an arab doesn't mean he's automatically a muslim extremist.
    I guess I just got that impression not only because of his language but the way he was angry the first second he saw me. I've been hassled before but it's usually guys who comment on my ass and then get peeved because I ignore them or people on the road passing on my side who dislike cyclists. Not people who have to go out of their way to chase you down.

I knew I couldn't be anything to do with my cycling because I was across the opposite side of the road going the other way and I didn't even notice his car before I heard his angry yelling. Whether or not religion was his motivation he was extreme in some sense. Had he managed to get close enough to grab me I wouldn't have hesitated to put the steel frame of my mountain bike through his skull because he was so angry.

As I said before I study with some muslim people who are absolute legends. I don't want to really make this about that and to incite anti-muslim behaviour. I guess he could have been on drugs or something and I might not have seen some tell tale sign of it because I was too busy getting out of there. The thing is if he was speaking English or I knew Arabic I wouldn't have to speculate about what he was saying. I'm just left guessing what might have set him off.

Where I was at the time had a golf course on one side and a train track with trees on the other. Not many people around - i suspect that probably was part of his thinking when he decided to turn around after a minute and chase me down. If he was drugged up wouldn't he have swerved immediately like the guy who attacked Trainer Monkey? He considered it and turned and came back. Freaky!

What happened to your girlfriend sounds freaky Diz - I hope she hasn't seen him since. I don't like that this happened somewhere I travel often and I suspect the same thing bothers your girlfriend!

Thanks guys - Trainer Monkey, Bilbo, Julius and Andre. Also glad you had a good morning for a change Mick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You did the right thing cycling off. Isn't there a safer route you could take? I wouldn't out so much emphasis on the Arabic,maybe he just didn't know English full stop,maybe he was having a bad morning etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You turn your vehicle around and chase someone, even going to the effort of getting out and chasing them on foot when you can't drive any further because you're having a bad morning?

You can say he might have non-cultural reasons for chasing me but he was definately psycho. No bad morning justifies that let alone whatever he planned to attempt if he got close enough.

I don't know why he went after me. All I know is he was angry the first second he saw me before I even saw him.

As I've said I don't dislike muslim people. I'd never assume this behaviour is typical of any culture more than another. There are stories daily of irrational people attacking each other using cultural differences as an excuse to justify it including people of my own race.

I just think that he saw something immediately which POd him and I can't think of what that might be since I was cycling in a bicycle lane on the other side of the road. If I was on the road and he was passing in my lane I would have assumed he just hated cyclists. If I try to work out what it was that set him off some sort of cultural difference seems like one possibility.

What else can other people think of that would evoke such an instant angry repsonse? Considering this is from someone at 10 am who didn't appear drunk and is still capable of rational enough thought to drive on for a minute and then decide to turn around and come back to get me - not tooting or yelling on his way back to warn me he was coming - only going off again once I'd spotted him and gone off road to avoid him.

The muslim people I work with would never behave like that. They are great people. I hope they don't get chased down the street by psycho because they look different. I'm glad they are here. I work closely with a few including one which is much more help to me than my own supervisor. Actually there are a lot of people from different cultures where I am and those who seem to have more disputes with other people are not Muslim.

I sort of regret that I even mentioned he spoke arabic now but I'm not racist for being freaked out and trying to work out what set a complete stranger off in what is usally a safe area particularly at 10 am on a Saturday morning. Something freaks you out like that you try to work out WTF it was - that's natural. I am not for a second recommending people go out targeting random Muslim people in revenge - that would be just as bad.

As for going another way - other routes would take three times as long and be dangerous because the traffic is too heavy to cycle in.

Thread Information