Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HBO this Saturday: Could it get any worse?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default HBO this Saturday: Could it get any worse?

Vernon Forrest versus Baldomir. Could this be possibly the least anticipated fight of all time?

Maybe its just me, but both these guys are just shit to watch. Vernon Forrest has gotta be one of the most boring, one dimensional fighters I've ever seen. Its a cliche but really if you've seen one of his fights you've seen them all. And he's fighting slow, plodding, boring as hell Carlos Baldomir. Baldomir might have a good story and all that, and I'll probably root for him as a lesser of two evils, but he's boring, and Forrest is even worse.

Beyond being a boring fight, its just inconsequential, neither of these guys are really going anywhere. There at or near the end.

And not only that, we get to see Hopkins-Wright again. I'm a big Hopkins fan and have been one for a long time, but his style now is scrappy to say the least, and while that fight was a bit intriguing it definitely was pretty sloppy and not exactly a crowd pleaser. While I don't think it was as bad a fight as a lot of people say, it definitely is not one I want to watch again and again.

I mean this is one shitty doubleheader. I don't see another fight listed for the undercard, so I assume it will just be Hopkins-Wright and then Baldomir-Forrest. I see Berto listed as fighting Cosme Rivera, does anybody know if they're planning on showing that along with the replay and Baldo-Forrest?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO this Saturday: Could it get any worse?

I have idea about the Berto fight being shown but I totally agree with everything you said although I think the fight is for a number 1 contender slot for the WBC title? Anyway,you are totally correct,it has no hype and in the grand scheme of things,no significance. I actually think 154 in general is really bad the moment. The one guy I thought might do well,Simms,lost too. The division is wide open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah this is going to be about as exciting as my Grandmothers sewing club
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    That club is the highlight of my week. This must be an exciting fight...I can't wait now.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I have idea about the Berto fight being shown but I totally agree with everything you said although I think the fight is for a number 1 contender slot for the WBC title? Anyway,you are totally correct,it has no hype and in the grand scheme of things,no significance. I actually think 154 in general is really bad the moment. The one guy I thought might do well,Simms,lost too. The division is wide open.
    Recycling these old fighters and giving them air time is just getting annoying. Nobody wants to see Vernon Forrest fight again. Even Vernon F****** hates himself.

Its like Mayorga-Vargas, does anybody care? Its apparently going to be on Showtime the night HBO has Guzman-Soto. How could anybody choose to watch the Mayorga-Vargas card over that one. Get these old guys out, no more Baldomir, no more Forrest, no more Vargas, no more Mayorga, no more Tarver, even guys that I've been a fan of like Quartey. I'm even tired of DLH, Mosley. This is getting to be a big thing with me, we need to showcase the young guys in the sport, stop recycling these old guys. I don't want Mayweather-Mosley, I want Mayweather-Cotto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Baldomir Vs. Forrest is a bad fight. Despite being a harsh critic I am willing to sit and watch just about any matchup offered to me. Like I said though, I have seen much worse than these two fellas.

Sure, Forrest will prob fight on the run and Baldomir will swing like a rusty gate but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Recycling these old fighters and giving them air time is just getting annoying. Nobody wants to see Vernon Forrest fight again. Even Vernon F****** hates himself.

Its like Mayorga-Vargas, does anybody care? Its apparently going to be on Showtime the night HBO has Guzman-Soto. How could anybody choose to watch the Mayorga-Vargas card over that one. Get these old guys out, no more Baldomir, no more Forrest, no more Vargas, no more Mayorga, no more Tarver, even guys that I've been a fan of like Quartey. I'm even tired of DLH, Mosley. This is getting to be a big thing with me, we need to showcase the young guys in the sport, stop recycling these old guys. I don't want Mayweather-Mosley, I want Mayweather-Cotto.
    I'll be watching Mayorga-Vargas. Say what you like about Mayorga, but that mouthy bastard is really entertaining. The fight will be great, so I can't wait to see it. I watch Mayorga because I love the look on his face when he gets KTFO.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I don't think Baldomir Vs. Forrest is a bad fight. Despite being a harsh critic I am willing to sit and watch just about any matchup offered to me. Like I said though, I have seen much worse than these two fellas.

Sure, Forrest will prob fight on the run and Baldomir will swing like a rusty gate but I'm looking forward to it all the same.
    Sometimes the fights that I have the lowest expectations for turn out to be surprisingly good.

I'm not counting on it here but who knows.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn

I'll be watching Mayorga-Vargas. Say what you like about Mayorga, but that mouthy B****** is really entertaining. The fight will be great, so I can't wait to see it. I watch Mayorga because I love the look on his face when he gets KTFO.
    That fight would have been great to me three or four years ago. Its totally pointless now. Both guys look shot, definitely Vargas does and Mayorga doesn't seem to be same after Trinidad.

I'm still a bit of a Mayorga fan and I guess I would root for him but I'm definitely not planning on watching it over Guzman-Soto, that's one of the best matchups of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know why people are complaining, could be worse, it could be off TV altogether.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    I don't know why people are complaining, could be worse, it could be off TV altogether.
    Cause HBO could just show a lot of better fights or fighters.

BAD used to be good, especially when they were focusing more on up and coming fighters.

Now its two guys, on the brink of retirement, in a fairly inconsequential fight. There should at least be an undercard. I don't know, I may watch it, it might be a good fight, who knows, but its definitely not very good matchmaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BAD used to be good, especially when they were focusing more on up and coming fighters.

Now its two guys, on the brink of retirement, in a fairly inconsequential fight. There should at least be an undercard. I don't know, I may watch it, it might be a good fight, who knows, but its definitely not very good matchmaking.
    My point is that this fight could be off tv altogether, that'd be worse right? I'm with you on the fact that the card kinda sucks but at least there's something to watch this Saturday. Plus you never know it could be a great fight, sometimes all hell breaks loose out of nowhere.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That club is the highlight of my week. This must be an exciting fight...I can't wait now.

I am married with Children.........When I attend the sewing club it's like a night on the town..........

Of course I have to always go CRAZY......Using two and three thimbles at a time
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am married with Children.........When I attend the sewing club it's like a night on the town..........

Of course I have to always go CRAZY......Using two and three thimbles at a time
    You're shittin me? You are one crazy motherfucker. I haven't got it in me to use more than one. One day though, I'll get there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My point is that this fight could be off tv altogether, that'd be worse right? I'm with you on the fact that the card kinda sucks but at least there's something to watch this Saturday. Plus you never know it could be a great fight, sometimes all hell breaks loose out of nowhere.
    I get what you're saying, I guess it would be worse. Maybe. Its just I think HBO could do a much better job, and at least show undercards. I mean how hard is that. Just adding Berto-Rivera to it would make things more interesting.

Although just read that apparently they're thinking of making Guzman-Soto the main event of a BAD card. That's the type of fight that should be the main event on a BAD card. So I guess HBO isn't doing everything wrong.

Thread Information