Thread: How many fights does Wlad have left... and who will those opponents be

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How many fights does Wlad have left... and who will those opponents be

Ok so Wlad is facing Jennings in a couple of months. I like Jennings, but honestly see very little chance he can beat Wlad. So what's left for Wlad after that? Given his current level of activity, roughly two fights a year, we'll probably see one more fight out of Wlad in 2015. What then? He turns 39 next month, so give him... say... a couple of more years before he calls it a career. That translates into 4 more fights. Who will those be?

Going through the current Ring rankings...

Povetkin he already mauled-wrestled-fouled-frustrated into a loss beat.... so he's out of the picture. Wilder's 2nd, but we pretty much all agree he needs one or two more fights before he's ready for the old, wily Wlad. Fury's # 3. Barring a devastating loss by Fury, that sounds like a match to make. Although we may see Fury-Wilder first, which would summarily end one of the fighter's chances to see Wlad before he goes away. Number 4 is Pulev, but he was just the latest speed bump in Wlad's highway toward retirement. Jennings is # 5, so check that box. Stiverne's # 6, and we all saw what happened vs. Wilder. After that.... it's just a blur of riff-raff.

So....... barring another Pianeta or Leapai dredged up by Wlad's camp..... or barring a 3rd fight with Thompson..... it would seem that the next logical opponents for Wlad would be:

Wilder
    Fury
    CRAP! (This is much harder than I originally thought).

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many fights does Wlad have left... and who will those opponents be

Ok so I just went through the current rankings by the different organizations, and came up with some more names.

Mike Perez (ranked # 2 WBC): Must I really comment on this? Mike Perez would be slaughtered in 3 rounds or less.

Lucas Browne: Hey I see he's ranked by the main orgs (WBC, WBA, IBF). Admittedly, I haven't seen him fight. Good record, although I don't see much in the way of opponents. Good size... you need height and reach to challenge Wlad.

Gotta go eat now.... be back with more.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many fights does Wlad have left... and who will those opponents be

The only one I'm really excited for is Wlad/Wilder. It's tough because you have a truly special ATG HW in Wlad at the top of the heap and a multitude of good to very good HW contenders to choose for opponents, and Wlad is so technically sound and doesn't take the risks that would normally allow a very good fighter to pull off an upset over a great fighter. Wlad's is just too big and strong for the small guys and too quick, athletic and technical for the big guys.

Wilder has the size, power and athleticism to give Wlad problems. Other than him, IMO Wlad has already destroyed the best guys in the division. A guy like Lucas Browne is way too slow and unskilled, he wouldn't last 4 rounds.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm about 50% on Wlad, which basically means I agree he's strong, athletic, and obviously at the top of the heap. The technically sound part again I'm about 50%. He knows how to use his size to his advantage... and has obviously learned a thing or two about protecting his chin. But at the same time IMO he lacks the technical skills that would allow him to fight dangerous punchers without making a stinker of a fight. Povetkin, Sultan, Haye. All crappy fights because Wlad used questionable tactics to win the fights. He's definitely a great HW, but again I don't know about the ATG part, because it's tough to gauge a fighter's greatness when the rest of the division has been so abysmal.

But back to speculating on Wlad's next opponents... I guess that pretty much leaves us with little other than possible fights against Wilder and/or Fury. There's other names floating around the rankings, but they're not even worth mentioning at this point.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder has the credibility over Fury at this point. Fury is a dumb ass as he should have been at the very least padding his resume with 5, 6 7 knockouts since 2012. Big dude like that all young and shit, he should be fighting every 90 days and knocking bums out----

Wlad/Wilder is the fight right now----I think Stiverne scores a few KOs and redeems himself and may be eligible to fight the winner of wome of these fights. I think Stiv beats 2 opponents and then gets his title back.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed on Fury. If he wants to make himself more relevant in the division, he needs to make short work of Christian Hammer (interesting combination of names there) and start making some real noise. None of these frigging HW's are nearly busy enough.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    But at the same time IMO he lacks the technical skills that would allow him to fight dangerous punchers without making a stinker of a fight.
    I think that's the definition of technical, though. The more technical a guy is, the less action you're going to get. His style of boxing from the outside and tying guys up on the inside has been used all throughout HW history, from Ali and Holmes even going back to Gene Tunney. Ray Robinson did it all the time to strong guys like Lamotta. Can't fault him for being big: the goal of every boxer is to learn how to use his physical and athletic gifts as effectively as possible with technique and strategy. He tailored his style to his body type, just like Tyson's was tailored to his.

When you're not getting hit and you're winning 95% of the rounds you fight, you can't fault the technique.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like Holyfield: he's extraordinarily built, ripped & cut to be headed to 40yrs old. Based on what he's taking/eating: seems like he could fight till he's Hopkins' age.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We're still in the steroid era, that's the reason why these guys are fighting so long.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only interesting fights around for him right now where there is a slight chance he could lose is Fury or Wilder. I'm not commenting on any of the prospects because anything can happen in heavyweight boxing and none of them have been tested yet

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    We're still in the steroid era, that's the reason why these guys are fighting so long.
    Has there ever been any real evidence that Wlad has used steroids, other than the fact that he keeps winning and always looks to be in great shape. Lol

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Has there ever been any real evidence that Wlad has used steroids, other than the fact that he keeps winning and always looks to be in great shape. Lol
    I'm not singling Wlad out, it's just the times we're in and have been in for the last 30 years. The testing has never been adequate, steroids have been rampant in all sports and we'd be retarded to think they weren't and aren't rampant in boxing. He's nearly 40 and he looks better than he did when he was in his mid 20s. It's just not realistic.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    But at the same time IMO he lacks the technical skills that would allow him to fight dangerous punchers without making a stinker of a fight.
    I think that's the definition of technical, though. The more technical a guy is, the less action you're going to get. His style of boxing from the outside and tying guys up on the inside has been used all throughout HW history, from Ali and Holmes even going back to Gene Tunney. Ray Robinson did it all the time to strong guys like Lamotta. Can't fault him for being big: the goal of every boxer is to learn how to use his physical and athletic gifts as effectively as possible with technique and strategy. He tailored his style to his body type, just like Tyson's was tailored to his.

When you're not getting hit and you're winning 95% of the rounds you fight, you can't fault the technique.

C'mon Bean... technical doesn't necessarily mean Wlad's style. Lots of fighters, including heavyweights, have exhibited technical skills on defense that result in their not getting hit that much. Foot movement, moving in and out, head movement, leaning back from hooks, blocking shots, using timing and counterpunching, etc, etc, etc. Particularly at the lower weights. Wlad's idea of defense, especially when facing a strong puncher, is to maul, tie up, and lean on these guys throughout the whole fight. Don't tell me you thought the Povetkin fight was a good fight for Wlad (or the fans). Wlad loses fans everytime he has a fight like that.

I'm not saying Wlad has to allow himself to get hit. I'm just saying there's other types of techniques he could use, and probably would use, if he were less afraid of The Big Bang. Which in turn would result in more fan-friendly fights, and probably a larger fan base particularly in the U.S.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Wilder has the credibility over Fury at this point. Fury is a dumb ass as he should have been at the very least padding his resume with 5, 6 7 knockouts since 2012. Big dude like that all young and shit, he should be fighting every 90 days and knocking bums out----

Wlad/Wilder is the fight right now----I think Stiverne scores a few KOs and redeems himself and may be eligible to fight the winner of wome of these fights. I think Stiv beats 2 opponents and then gets his title back.
    Not Furys fault. He tried taking on supposedly one of the most dangerous fighters in the world only to have him baulk and pull out twice and waste a year of his career. Then chisora pulled out.

Wilder has the credibility in your eyes because you thought Stiverne was good.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

Not Furys fault. He tried taking on supposedly one of the most dangerous fighters in the world only to have him baulk and pull out twice and waste a year of his career. Then chisora pulled out.

Wilder has the credibility in your eyes because you thought Stiverne was good.
    true I thought Stiv was good and I still think he's good, but Wilder fights like every 4 months, but Fury has had how many fihgts since 2012?

Thread Information