Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default James DeGale lining up Gennady Golovkin

James DeGale lining up Gennady Golovkin super-fight at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium

World super-middleweight champion James DeGale is targeting a super-fight in London this summer, with hopes of staging it at the Emirates Stadium – home of his beloved Arsenal.

DeGale’s last four fights have all been across the Atlantic, in the United States and Canada, which led to him capturing the IBF title from Andre Dirrell before successfully defending it against Lucian Bute and Rogelio ‘Porky’ Medina.

His last fight – a unification fight for the WBC and The Ring title – ended in a majority draw against Badou Jack. The result meant he kept his belt but failed to capture the other two on the line that night.

And now he wants his homecoming fight at the Emirates, with one of Gennady Golovkin, Callum Smith, Andre Ward and George Groves set to be his opponent.

Golovkin would be undoubtedly the biggest name but it would require DeGale dropping down a weight class to face the middleweight king.

All four have other scheduling commitments at present but DeGale is confident they would rearrange them for a big payday in London.

“Golovkin?” DeGale said. “I walk around less than a stone above the super middleweight limit and could easily go down to fight this great man for the middleweight title.

“I would love to fight Callum Smith because he is the new young man on the rise who a lot of people seem to think could beat me. But I don’t and it would please me to prove them wrong.

“Ward, like Golovkin, is among those quoted as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. It would be an honour to share a ring with him and just as I could go down for Gennady, I could go up to light heavy for Andre.

“The Groves fight is always there although my winning the world title, while he has failed three times to do that, kills him. But it is a big British fight in which I could wipe out the only defeat in my pro career.”

DeGale has a medical dispensation for a voluntary world title defence before being forced to honour his mandatory one against the IBF’s number one contender.

James DeGale lining up Gennady Golovkin super-fight at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James DeGale lining up Gennady Golovkin

DeGale would do well to stay away from Ward. The other fights he is proposing are winnable for him, but I don't see him beating André. Next toughest match up from that list, in my opinion, would actually be Groves. DeGale should be able to outbox GGG, assuming he can take his punch (not a give that he can). Think Ward is just too good and has too many options for DeGale to beat him, especially after seeing how much success Jack had against him.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    DeGale would do well to stay away from Ward. The other fights he is proposing are winnable for him, but I don't see him beating André. Next toughest match up from that list, in my opinion, would actually be Groves. DeGale should be able to outbox GGG, assuming he can take his punch (not a give that he can). Think Ward is just too good and has too many options for DeGale to beat him, especially after seeing how much success Jack had against him.
    DeGale is saying he can beat GGG at middleweight and I do not think that can happen at super middle he has a chance.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has no one told DeGale that Eubank Sr has chosen him to fight Jr next?

Out of them I think Groves is the fight he will go for, I can't see GGG happening and Ward would win easy, Groves would have the whole 'revenge' angle to help sell it and Groves is known by the general public because of the Froch fights but Smith still relatively unknown outside of boxing fans and wouldn't generate the same sort of interest.

Having said that the fight that I would 'want' to see would be Smith.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    DeGale is saying he can beat GGG at middleweight and I do not think that can happen at super middle he has a chance.
    I think middleweight is 50/50, n I would favors DeGale at 168. Solid March up at either weight, but I feel like DeGale is slightly faster than Jacobs and will pose a difficult style for GGG to overcome.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think middleweight is 50/50, n I would favors DeGale at 168. Solid March up at either weight, but I feel like DeGale is slightly faster than Jacobs and will pose a difficult style for GGG to overcome.
    Nobody beats GGG at middleweight.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Degale is desperate for a big money fight, but he can't realistically get down to 160 and be effective. The only way that fight happens is at SMW.
    I don't want to hate on Degale, but I reckon he loses to all of those named, but his best chance is GGG at 168.
    Ward , Groves and Smith all beat him.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DeGale trying to create some buzz. I feel GGG beats him at any weight. If he can't get any of the other top guys at 168 why doesn't he chase Jack to 175 or a catch weight for a rematch?

Thread Information