Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some More Thoughts on FNF

Sorry, but I'm still buzzing about the Delvin Rodriguez-Pawel Wolak fight. The whole FNF card was special. Four guys who fought hard, Teddy losing his voice with enthusiasm, well judged, well refereed, well doctored and well cornered. Just an exemplary night.

But of course the magic comes from the hearts and minds and fitness of the participants.

Early in round one Rodriguez made an important, and what I thought was a mistaken, decision. He seemed to decide that he could not successfully move and win the fight given Wolak's energy level and determination. So he allowed himself to get moved to the ropes. TO the ropes, but not often ON the ropes. What do I mean? Rodriguez allowed his right calf to touch the bottom rope but he retained sound punching position, he didn't square up. That enabled him to still punch with authority and to move when he could. What Rodriguez seemed to recognize as well was that Wolak WOULD square up and therefore, while he could throw frequently, not usually with maximum power. So Rodriguez's punches had more authority when they landed.

Wolak use marvelous upper body technique on the inside. He used shoulders, forearms, elbows and his hands to paw and clutch and grab for space and position. This did two things. First it prevented Delvin from tying him up (had he wanted to), and it kept Delvin focused up high so that then Wolak could suddenly shift the attack and land effectively to the body. Wolak crowded Rodriguez, but he never got so close he didn't have punching room. Wolak kept his shots short and crisp and he never got wild.

Occasionally Rodriguez would actually lean on the ropes but even when he did that he was not squared up. He presented Wolak with a narrow target so that he could still punch and maybe more importantly as the fight went on he could do a mini-George Foreman push off and then throw a sharp combination. When he did this he almost always stepped violently to a new angle before he punched. Great to watch.

You folks know how hard I am on the current level of craft in the sport. Well in this fight you had two thinking, adaptive fighters. Both had adversity to deal with and both dealt with it admirably. Both showed great "bottom," the British word from the 19th century that signifies the combination of fighting spirit, stamina and resilience.

If you didn't see it? Rounds 9-10 are already on Youtube and my guess is the rest will show up this weekend.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some More Thoughts on FNF

Great post, the main fight was awesome and good sportsmen to one another after.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Sorry, but I'm still buzzing about the Delvin Rodriguez-Pawel Wolak fight. The whole FNF card was special. Four guys who fought hard, Teddy losing his voice with enthusiasm, well judged, well refereed, well doctored and well cornered. Just an exemplary night.

But of course the magic comes from the hearts and minds and fitness of the participants.

Early in round one Rodriguez made an important, and what I thought was a mistaken, decision. He seemed to decide that he could not successfully move and win the fight given Wolak's energy level and determination. So he allowed himself to get moved to the ropes. TO the ropes, but not often ON the ropes. What do I mean? Rodriguez allowed his right calf to touch the bottom rope but he retained sound punching position, he didn't square up. That enabled him to still punch with authority and to move when he could. What Rodriguez seemed to recognize as well was that Wolak WOULD square up and therefore, while he could throw frequently, not usually with maximum power. So Rodriguez's punches had more authority when they landed.

Wolak use marvelous upper body technique on the inside. He used shoulders, forearms, elbows and his hands to paw and clutch and grab for space and position. This did two things. First it prevented Delvin from tying him up (had he wanted to), and it kept Delvin focused up high so that then Wolak could suddenly shift the attack and land effectively to the body. Wolak crowded Rodriguez, but he never got so close he didn't have punching room. Wolak kept his shots short and crisp and he never got wild.

Occasionally Rodriguez would actually lean on the ropes but even when he did that he was not squared up. He presented Wolak with a narrow target so that he could still punch and maybe more importantly as the fight went on he could do a mini-George Foreman push off and then throw a sharp combination. When he did this he almost always stepped violently to a new angle before he punched. Great to watch.

You folks know how hard I am on the current level of craft in the sport. Well in this fight you had two thinking, adaptive fighters. Both had adversity to deal with and both dealt with it admirably. Both showed great "bottom," the British word from the 19th century that signifies the combination of fighting spirit, stamina and resilience.

If you didn't see it? Rounds 9-10 are already on Youtube and my guess is the rest will show up this weekend.
    I thought it was a good/entertaining fight Marble, but I guess I wasn't as thrilled with it as you seem to be. Wolak's swarming, non-stop style was a little hard to look at for 10 rounds, hell I was getting worn down just watching it! Exellent fight for FNF though, and both these guys were humble and likable after the fight.

El Kabong Guest

Great great match!!! Loved that fight. I didn't even stick around to see who won, I didn't want to spoil it by seeing who got disappointed.

ESPN needs to make an immediate rematch! I do hope Wolak's eye is ok though. Sometimes swelling like that means a broken orbital bone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn!!! i forgot to record this, wish i would have watched it.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MMASUX View Post
    You missed a good one!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    You missed a good one!
    Thats it rub it in.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a very special fight. Amazing that two human beings can get in there and fight like that for 30 mins !

Best fight I have seen in a while, and thats in a year that has had some great fights.

I really thought Delvin Rodriguez deserved the win. That draw was bullshit in my opinion.

Rodriguez sniped Wolak coming in all night and lit him up with some beautiful combos and uppercuts.

I had him winning 7 rounds to 3. Then he ends up with a draw. Not a robbery, it was a close fight, but honestly Rodriguez won that great fight.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    It was a very special fight. Amazing that two human beings can get in there and fight like that for 30 mins !

Best fight I have seen in a while, and thats in a year that has had some great fights.

I really thought Delvin Rodriguez deserved the win. That draw was bullshit in my opinion.

Rodriguez sniped Wolak coming in all night and lit him up with some beautiful combos and uppercuts.

I had him winning 7 rounds to 3. Then he ends up with a draw. Not a robbery, it was a close fight, but honestly Rodriguez won that great fight.
    I didn't score it but I felt rodriguez won it as well, he took a couple of the early ones definitely and closed out strong, 12 rounder and I think wolaks outa there, didn't look good at all at the end of the 10th. However most of the rounds were rather close and hard to score so a draw is just fine by me in this one, but yes most of the headsnaping shots came from delvin.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post

I didn't score it but I felt rodriguez won it as well, he took a couple of the early ones definitely and closed out strong, 12 rounder and I think wolaks outa there, didn't look good at all at the end of the 10th. However most of the rounds were rather close and hard to score so a draw is just fine by me in this one, but yes most of the headsnaping shots came from delvin.
    Agreed. Delvin landed the harder shots no doubt. Cept to the body.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See I had Wolak up 5-1 after six rounds largely through his bodywork. Then I had Delvin win the last four to get the draw. Delvin was very flashy late, but winning a round closely, as Wolak did early, is the same as winning flashy but not dominating (as in 10- like Delvin did late.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See I had Wolak up 5-1 after six rounds largely through his bodywork. Then I had Delvin win the last four to get the draw. Delvin was very flashy late, but winning a round closely, as Wolak did early, is the same as winning flashy but not dominating (as in 10- like Delvin did late.
    I don't know how you could give Wolak 5 of the first 6 rounds. That is crazy to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know how you could give Wolak 5 of the first 6 rounds. That is crazy to me.
    Bodywork primarily. He was landing three or four good bodyshots for each head shot Delvin was landing. But again, two of those rounds I had marked close. On the fight night thread I had it a draw but could see a wide disparity in scorecards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    You missed a good one!
    Thats it rub it in.
    OK i finally was able to watch it. What a great fight that was. If anyone elses missed it or just wants to watch it again it's up on ESPN website. Just go to the Boxing page and it's on the front page.

Thread Information