Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Textbook boxer.

What modern fighters would you say are the best examples of the textbook pure boxer?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Textbook boxer.

I always considered Kessler in his prime to be very 'text book'.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricardo Lopez was the epitome of a textbook boxer. Mike McCallum and Buddy McGirt come to mind also.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oba Carr was a beautiful text book boxer. I do not think I have ever seen better.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Oba Carr was a beautiful text book boxer. I do not think I have ever seen better.
    That is a fact. Poor guy. He was such a solid fighter and had the misfortune of having to fight the prime, undefeated Oscar, Tito, and Ike Quartey for titles, and gave each of them tough fights before losing. If Oba had come along only five years later he would've easily won a title and likely been in the Mosely, Mayorga, Vernon Forrest mix.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I think textbook you envision guys who can 'do it all', multi geared and well adaptable. With pure is it more 'only' boxer? More of the backfoot defensive minded but superb boxer. Then again even the slickest pure boxer has had a freak ko or two. I think of like a Virgil Hill as pure. He literally won fights on the jab alone and moved around more than lawn furniture during a hurricane. But he also blitzed and demolished Tiozzo and Kinchen. Modern era, a Hopkins authored an entire library. On both ends of a fantastic career, early he blitzed and had great two handed arsenal while at the close..or what should be..he was pure and some cases prevent defense minded. He could stink it out at times and he cared zero what you thought about it. Some guys who call themselves 'great' cannot even adapt over 12 rounds. Hopkins made a life of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    When I think textbook you envision guys who can 'do it all', multi geared and well adaptable. With pure is it more 'only' boxer? More of the backfoot defensive minded but superb boxer. Then again even the slickest pure boxer has had a freak ko or two. I think of like a Virgil Hill as pure. He literally won fights on the jab alone and moved around more than lawn furniture during a hurricane. But he also blitzed and demolished Tiozzo and Kinchen. Modern era, a Hopkins authored an entire library. On both ends of a fantastic career, early he blitzed and had great two handed arsenal while at the close..or what should be..he was pure and some cases prevent defense minded. He could stink it out at times and he cared zero what you thought about it. Some guys who call themselves 'great' cannot even adapt over 12 rounds. Hopkins made a life of it.
    This, to be completely honest. Bernard wasn't too entertaining of a fighter in the latter part of his career for the casual fan (those who prefer the ko or be ko'd type fighters) but he beat world class fighters, sometimes seemingly effortlessly.
    A lot of that is a direct reflection of his mastery of the science of boxing.
    That being said, there was a bit of "dirty," tactics sprinkled in there, but nothing so significant that he won the fights based on that alone. Maybe gave him a small edge, though

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have not seen one of his fights yet. To be honest him and the Ghanian are the same person in my mind.

I'm gonna watch one of his fights now!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bernard Hopkins.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pat Cowdell boxed text book when he took the Great Salvador Sanchez to a SD.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Pat Cowdell boxed text book when he took the Great Salvador Sanchez to a SD.
    Unfortunately not against Asumah Nelson.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    I have not seen one of his fights yet. To be honest him and the Ghanian are the same person in my mind.

I'm gonna watch one of his fights now!
    You mean Ike Quartey? watch Carr's left hook against Bramble it is perfect, flawless and a thing of real beauty.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid-702 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This, to be completely honest. Bernard wasn't too entertaining of a fighter in the latter part of his career for the casual fan (those who prefer the ko or be ko'd type fighters) but he beat world class fighters, sometimes seemingly effortlessly.
    A lot of that is a direct reflection of his mastery of the science of boxing.
    That being said, there was a bit of "dirty," tactics sprinkled in there, but nothing so significant that he won the fights based on that alone. Maybe gave him a small edge, though
    I agree. While Spicoli makes great points...with Bernard, I'd say his wins weren't always based on "text book". His ring IQ is high, but he was a master at breaking...or getting away with a lot of foul shit. And I am a HUGE HopKins fan.

I'm currently at a lost for naming a current one. I'm sure there are a few, I'm just not on my game since driving truck the past year plus.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information