Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Prospects and rising fighters that have lost recently *Spoilers*

7/24/09
    Unbeaten and highly touted Puerto Rican prospect Juan Carlos Velazquez, had no answers for the limited but constant pressure of Jose Angel Beranza. After watching his brother put in a subpar performance, a mixture of nerves lights and game opponent seemed to shut down the young as evident in his early lack a balance and stability en route to a UD loss.

7/25/09
    Unbeaten and Saddo ranked Lightweight Urbano Antillon met his stylistic match against one of the slicker products I've seen Venezuala produce in Miguel Acosta. A perfectly timed counter uppercut floored Antillon as the fight was waved off.

7/30/09
    Young Golden Boy prospect Charles Huerta a crowd favorite known for his power and his ability to impose his will, was shockingly outclassed in a light speed slugfest that lasted less than a minute with obscure Derrick Wilson showing he could back up his talk with perfectly time counter left hook that launched Huerta back into the ropes time of stoppage 0:59 of round 1

7/31/09
    Marvin Quintero, known for his agressive style was no match for the countering ability of weathered veteran Tyrone Harris. Harris had staggered Quintero twice in the fight when he elected to let off the gas, finally after taking a breather in the 7th, Harris came out in the 8th strafing Quintero with straight punches forcing Caiz Jr. to step in and call for a halt to the action.

Personally I think these guys are losing because they are facing better competition than they would have in years past at this stage. I think it's a good thing, it's ridiculous to have half of the fighters in any division with an undefeated record. I think this shows a good direction for boxing as a whole

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prospects and rising fighters that have lost recently *Spoilers*

Well I don't know, I mean yes and no.

I mean the Velazquez kid wasn't put in with some world beater, it just turned out that he you know isn't very good. I just don't get what made him a big prospect. Wasn't a good boxer, didn't seem to have much on his punches, had head issues, etc.

And I would say Antillon is a contender so he's got to fight guys like Acosta.

More yes on the other ones, more so with Huerta. Quintero-Harris was solid matchmaking, Harris was just the better guy on the night. Huerta was the more unusual case as you don't so often see prospect vs prospect at that stage and especially seeing a fairly well known prospect put in with a guy who has lights out physical ability whether he's 4-0-1 or not. And I assume Wilson had a fairly successful amateur career just looking at his ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

more stumbling prospects
    - alfredo angulo
    - victor ortiz

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Well I don't know, I mean yes and no.

I mean the Velazquez kid wasn't put in with some world beater, it just turned out that he you know isn't very good. I just don't get what made him a big prospect. Wasn't a good boxer, didn't seem to have much on his punches, had head issues, etc.

And I would say Antillon is a contender so he's got to fight guys like Acosta.

More yes on the other ones, more so with Huerta. Quintero-Harris was solid matchmaking, Harris was just the better guy on the night. Huerta was the more unusual case as you don't so often see prospect vs prospect at that stage and especially seeing a fairly well known prospect put in with a guy who has lights out physical ability whether he's 4-0-1 or not. And I assume Wilson had a fairly successful amateur career just looking at his ability.
    Velazquez had like 140 Amatuer wins in 9 years, and has been training as a boxer since he was 11 years old he obviously had some skill at some point. He absolutely mentally fell apart in the ring that night.

I would disagree that contenders HAVE to fight guys like Acosta even though I think they SHOULD, plenty of guys especially from 2005-2008 got up to or near the top of their divisions by padding their records against nobodies. Three years ago in the Super Middleweight division for example we had Joe Calzaghe, Mikkel Kessler, Carl Froch, Librado Andrade, Lucien Bute, Denis Inkin, Robert Steiglitz all in the top 10 ring rankings with undefeated records. This year they are having a tournament which guarantees the best will fight each other. And think we have seen an improvement in matchmaking going all the way down to the prospect level.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information