Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 minute Ricky Hatton interview, "I left my performance in the gym for Pacquiao".

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 15 minute Ricky Hatton interview, "I left my performance in the gym for Pacquiao".

Awesome interview speaks on a number of things.

Khan, promoting, fighting, his brother etc

Sky Sports | Video | Boxing | Hatton rubbishes rumours

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 15 minute Ricky Hatton interview, "I left my performance in the gym for Pacquiao"

Loosely quoted...

"walking towards the ring, I knew I'd overtrained, and I think it showed, cause I tried to go for the big punch, and it made me careless"

Not only his chin is gone, but I think his ring savvy and logic is gone also.

But I guess he felt he had to install some confidence in his fans.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 15 minute Ricky Hatton interview, "I left my performance in the gym for Pacquiao"

As much as I like Hatton, I don't buy into his argument at all. It doesn't matter how much you overcook yourself in training, that is no reason to fight with your hands down and leave your chin open like a ninny. Hatton should drink a pitcher of beer and then sit down and watch that fight. He did fight better in the second, but he wasn't winning it easily by any stretch of the imagination and Pacquiao certainly made it a crushing 10-8 round by the end.

Nothing wrong with losing, but there is no reason not to face up to things as they really were.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds a lot better then "I realized I'd overtrained when I got knocked out"
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not sure about the whole overtraining and shit, but I do know when I watch Pacquiao-Hatton and him against Mayweather that he came in faster against Mayweather and reacted to speed speed somewhat better in that fight. I just think Hatton is terrible against southpaws and Pacquiao is one guy you can't keep getting hit cleanly against. IMO Hatton has a decent chin, but he couldn't see those right hooks, or that left hook that put him into what looked like a comma.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I am not sure about the whole overtraining and shit, but I do know when I watch Pacquiao-Hatton and him against Mayweather that he came in faster against Mayweather and reacted to speed speed somewhat better in that fight. I just think Hatton is terrible against southpaws and Pacquiao is one guy you can't keep getting hit cleanly against. IMO Hatton has a decent chin, but he couldn't see those right hooks, or that left hook that put him into what looked like a comma.

when you fight blinkered that tends to happen. I don't think over-training does that UNLESS you thought/believed you over-trained and tried to go for the quick win in which case all your defences (in this case) are as low as your hands.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

when you fight blinkered that tends to happen. I don't think over-training does that UNLESS you thought/believed you over-trained and tried to go for the quick win in which case all your defences (in this case) are as low as your hands.
    yea i agree, i think that he just had too much doubt in himself and it showed in his ring walk, he didn't look confident and his gameplan (or lack of one) only solidified it, Pac was the better man end of

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

almost all fighters are the worst kind of excuse makers, you have to retain that self belief if you want to fight in the future even if it means deluding yourself.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    almost all fighters are the worst kind of excuse makers, you have to retain that self belief if you want to fight in the future even if it means deluding yourself.
    surely in that case you would still know deep down you were faking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion it was a case of Pacquiao being superior to Hatton as a fighter.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No matter what the reason was, Ricky did perform poorly and I doubt that it could be a single thing alone that made him to fight the way he did, maybe he overtrained, surely that the tension with Mayweather S.R didn't help but also, the way he decided to fight toe to toe with unveiled chin played a huge role into his sounding defeat.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was one of the worst moments of my year. I had really built myself up for that fight with endless waffling on here and then that first round began. It was like I had been swamped by a tsunami, and then Hatton went down... again. As the first round ended I was almost delirious and it wasn't just because I was hungover. It was a horrible, horrible fight to endure.

And he left it in the gym? Feck off with that drivel. Hatton is much better than that, but his mindset is royally fucked these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, let's see. You train for months and look great. You only have to step inside the square circle for 36 minutes. Hatton is clearly gun shy after getting popped over and over by mayweather. He no longer appreciates getting hit in the head. With his style of fighting you are going to have to enjoy or endure a certain level of punishment.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

" I was told i was winning the second round by a mile "

Ricky sometimes pisses me off always has an excuse for everything, just retire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next up, Ricky is going to start blaming Joe Cortez for his loss to Pacquiao.

Thread Information