Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the legend of the flicker punch/jab true?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is the legend of the flicker punch/jab true?

I was wondering if the flicker punch/jab is true. If anyone knows the boxer who created it or have any tips on how to use it please teach me.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:Is the legend of the flicker punch/jab true?

What is it?

SOunds like Roy Jones 's snapping semi backhand styled jab from down low to me
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The flicker from Ippo Road to Glory, Performed by Ryo Mashiba from the same boxing anime series?

If that is the question that is merely whipping jabs from your hip instead of at a set position.

Anime over-exaggerates

Keeping your front hand down is a flaw, prior to popular belief you dont need to protect your hip.

Also the shoulder shrug should/could be avoided at most times by haveing your front hand up in the set position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoe
    The flicker from Ippo Road to Glory, Performed by Ryo Mashiba from the same boxing anime series?

If that is the question that is merely whipping jabs from your hip instead of at a set position.

Anime over-exaggerates

Keeping your front hand down is a flaw, prior to popular belief you dont need to protect your hip.

Also the shoulder shrug should/could be avoided at most times by haveing your front hand up in the set position.
    Depends

When you have your hands low, your opponents dont know what to expect. This was a vital key in Chris Eubanks victory over Nigel Benn in 1990, an orthodox straight mill boxer would of been blasted out in 1 or 2 rounds like so many of Benns previous opponents, but Chris Eubank was able to go against the grain and beat him down like he was after his world title, which he was.
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not about protectig your hip .Its about winning/showing off to the judges and degrading your opponent who isnt fast enough to even strike at a free opening.
    Just look at RJJ 's style over the years, he mastered it ,he would lean down low wavering about with his lead arm down and as soon as he saw the opening come it would whip up like a backhanded snapping jab which would always score.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You seriously think RJJ would not have a better defense if he kept his hands up?

Watch Jones vs. Tarver.

It is easier to hit to the body if your hand is down, it is also easier to switch between shots to the head and body. But in most cases it is not worth half of your defense.

Would you really tell someone to keep their lead hand down in a fight?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You seriously think RJJ would not have a better defense if he kept his hands up?

Watch Jones vs. Tarver.

It is easier to hit to the body if your hand is down, it is also easier to switch between shots to the head and body. But in most cases it is not worth half of your defense.

He wouldnt be Roy Jones then though would he. and Tarver managed to get in a good shot on Roy as he threw his punch, it happened to Lennox against McCall.

You dont tell people to keep their hands down, for some its natural. Its their style.
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think for those who master it, its devasting against opponents who dont know how to judge it. Really there is no way to judge an arm if its just hanging down to the side - this is the positive for those who are using it. But I think if u dont know how to use it - it could be ur downfall

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch Jones vs. Tarver.

Of course not,that is not the point of the exersize, but like any sport or art, the great moves come from unexpected angles ,so really we're just saying dont rule anything out.
    Everything works at certain times,and brilliance comes from knowing when and where to do those moves.
    There are thousands of mug boxers in the world and only so few champions and thats why.
    IF you are to be the Champ in anything even business or love you have to know ((when)) to take the risk.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bksposterchild
    I think for those who master it, its devasting against opponents who dont know how to judge it. Really there is no way to judge an arm if its just hanging down to the side - this is the positive for those who are using it. But I think if u dont know how to use it - it could be ur downfall
    If you dont know how to judge an opponent they are of course more "dangerous" to you. Those you can analyze you have a better time against. It is why those people who are unprepared do worse. Like so many rightys in their first couple of spars against a lefty.

If you dont know how to do something or dont think you know how to use something effectively. Try to get it worked out before you enter the ring if at all possible. If that is not possible, try it as few a times as possible when in the ring so there is less of a chance for you to end up in a bad "position".

Oh I dont rule keeping your front hand down as a given. I have seen people use it effectively, but for most who try they fail. RJJ is a master at this though, he has the option to bend. The majority cant do this.

Andre, what is the point of the excersize?

Also what is a mug boxer?
    *I have a fair idea what this is but I am still uncertain*

I am not trying to be an ass, if that is what you think. These are genuine questions.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well bro, the point of the exersize in here, is that we are all in the same boat just throwing around ideas that work or sometimes dont; it's up to the individual to take onboard whatever they want to or chuck whatever they want to.

Thats what I ment when I answered "thats not the point of the exersize to this question; (You seriously think RJJ would not have a better defense if he kept his hands up?)

No one in here will take offence if one thing works for some and not for others,thats all I ment.

A mug boxer is just a bend of the saying "its a mugs game". Most boxers dont make it,thats an unfortunate fact in a very tough sport, they are mugs thinking they ever could let alone trying with just the basics behind them, ;unfortunate but true.

I was just saying it because to really make it, you have to have absolutley everything going for you,luck ,skill ,balls ,vision,natuaral ability,the right trainer,the right managment the right timing in and out of the ring.You need the correct opponents to build up on and not be used for someone else to climb the ladder on your losses. You need to stand out from the crowd to attract the attention to get the breaks and that means a ko power or a skillfull ringmaster or both,theres no great breaks, for a normal stand up boxer! its long hard road that doesnt always lead to the top. Thats why people say "it a mugs game".

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To get back to the crux of the matter; I wasnt baging what you said up there; as we know it would be stupid to go there if you were a standard fighter,
    i just pointed out why Roy and others use it and their reasoning behind its avantage for them.

Aside from the stamping of Authority, It can force some opponents to overcommit when comming in, it can distract their vision downwards slightly too which they are not used to when they are comming forwards .It can also create openings that dont usuallly occur.

Roy was not in that position when Tarver caught him.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for awnsering my questions Andre.

I wonder how are young freind Ippo is handleing this.
    Besides my own personal questions that is.

A few more questions though *I hope you dont mind*, Andre have you seen Ippo's Road to Glory?

It is a fun anime*cartoon* to watch. Though over-exaggerated, I think this is what are young freind with the moniker Ippo was refering too. The "flicker jab" of Ryo Mashiba. If you have not, and you are interested I will try to get you an episode where he performs this technique so you too can base the credibility of this maneuver.

RJJ is for real, what he does and how he performs is authentic. Ryo Mashiba however.*shakes head*

I dont want this young man, to have the impression that it is going to be worthwhile to keep his hand down.

Next question.

Can an individual still perform well in proffessional without a amateur career?
    *If so how much of a negative effect is there when you dont have an amateur career?*

What is the little book that other boxers have told me about that they must keep with them at all times and what does it do?

Why are proffessional "tomato-cans" allowed on the proffessional circuit? I am talking about the guys that fight and are 0-40-0-0. Is it just a matter of money?

*I'll stop here, I dont think you want to waste that much time on me. I have alot of questions, maybe I should make a thread myself.*

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no idea exactly whats in the book mate, although their is a pro record and licence,just recently there has been moves in some states for boxers to have compulsory brain scans each year ,so i suppose the books will then have to have that stamped in them too, for those states. Australia has it as law now.
    I suppose in truth the cans are just tee offs for better fighters really (there are tomato cans in all sports ,its up to them if they keep trying i suppose) my grounding is in martial arts although i reached a stage where we were told, now go and study all the rest of the styles out there as a pelimenary to the final grading,so my view is broad enough but not strictly just western boxing although as a fight fan that is where my heart now lies.
    Things in here just seem to have evolved into me as being the one here long enough and with enough boxing friends around to have some of the answers... since the real Trainer Howard Rainey either decided against it, or his computer melted or something ,we have no idea
    IT has evolved into a more share your info board for everyone which I think is great and the only way to go forward .
    Im really just a moderator (which means I get to delete any rasict stuff or things the general public wont like)on a front board.

On the amature thing , some pros have done great with no or little amature carears.
    Anthony Mundine for one, fights like an amature and never was one Hahahaha, Im funny ,
    he turned pro straight out of playing rugby. Im joking about him fighting like an amature,
    He is a very polished fighter and holds his own with some real pro talent. He just lacks a chin maybe?it hasnt been really tested because his skill keeps him safe mostly.He got ko'd once fighting for the world title against Spen Okktte but that was a temple shot as he got cocky and turned side on... he was way ahead on points.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I havent seen Ippos road to glory ,
    Is it a serious styled cartoon?

I can explain it.

Thread Information