Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with all the Cotto hype?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What's up with all the Cotto hype?

I used to like Miguel Cotto until alot of these people have started to overrate him. He is a humble champion who is good for boxing but he is no where near as good as people are starting to make him out to be, I guess they hate Floyd so much they think Cotto is their final chance.

1. People ask why is Floyd not fighting a real WW and then they list Cotto who is 5-7 and no bigger than Ricky Hatton
    2. After a knock out loss by the great Ricky Hatton (And I mean great) people say that he was to small, yet he turned WW against Collazo before Cotto turned WW, go figure. I know Hatton went down for a fight but he came right back up, this is confusing
    3. Cotto beat Judah and Mosley and people think those are great victories, let's analyze this

JUDAH- He just came off of a ass whoppin from Baldo, and another one against Mayweather, suspension, weak fight against a journeyman, and then the loss to Cotto where he hurt Miguel on a couple of different occassions (Something he did not do against Floyd or Carlos
    MAYWEATHER- Has never been the same since 2002, back to back losses against Forrest, two lackluster performances against journeyman, got a gift decision against De La Hoya, back to back losses against Wright when he won a total of 6 rounds in two fights, back to back wins against a brutally shot Vargas in which he struggled in the first fight, a win against a C- level fighter in Collazo who by the way lost to Ricky Hatton in his WW debut. Mosley is a first Ballot HOF in my opinion but is no where near an elite WW since 02. Now I know why people hate Floyd so much, when people brag about him it makes people want to look for holes in his career, but Cotto has 10 times the holes that Floyd has.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's up with all the Cotto hype?

No offence bro but you probably did not get any responses because as sson as you stated:"Cotto beat Judah and Mosley and people think those are great victories, let's analyze this"-people probably stopped reading. Regardless of how you look at it,those were awesome victories for Cotto.Both were HUGE step ups in calss and in terms of fighting guys with handspeed,which most thought was his weakness and he won.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because he's fighting the best. Honestly, like Floyd, they keep throwing obstacles in front of Cotto and he just takes them down. Cotto is fucking superb.

A resume of wins over Judah, Urkal, Torres, Malignaggi, Quintana & Mosley is fucking impressive. Since moving up to Welter, he's won every fight bar the Mosley fight by KO/TKO.

People said Cotto was a one dimensional slugger, and then he outboxed Mosley. Underrate him at your peril.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    No offence bro but you probably did not get any responses because as sson as you stated:"Cotto beat Judah and Mosley and people think those are great victories, let's analyze this"-people probably stopped reading. Regardless of how you look at it,those were awesome victories for Cotto.Both were HUGE step ups in calss and in terms of fighting guys with handspeed,which most thought was his weakness and he won.
    It's 2:30 AM here and I cannot sleep, so I said let me go to the computer and go on my favorite website.

El Gamo

1. Under any circumstances you are alway's polite, thank's for that buddy, even when you disagree you still show some class
    2. I don't give a rat's ass who responds to this post, it's a free forum and if you disagree don't come on, it's simple, I respect that
    3. Nobody is on here right now so to say nobody responded is crazy, give it some time, and if they dont then so be it, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    4. People gave Floyd flack over fighting Judah (crazy critics) but you want to say it's a great victory I disagree 100% buddy that it was a great victory (So does Danny G). If you said that same thing in defense of Carlos or Floyd you would get laughed off the forum, but for Cotto you think it was a great victory which seems unfair to me
    5. I saw your votes giving Cotto the fighter of the year, I disagree, nothing wrong with that
    6. If you stop reading at the point in which you said you did then you missed all of the facts of the whole post Reality is what is it, and when you deny it it's denial
    7. You don't need to explain the reason's of other people, only explain the reasons of you, and that's it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brazilianbomber
    It's 2:30 AM here and I cannot sleep, so I said let me go to the computer and go on my favorite website.

El Gamo

1. Under any circumstances you are alway's polite, thank's for that buddy, even when you disagree you still show some class
    2. I don't give a rat's ass who responds to this post, it's a free forum and if you disagree don't come on, it's simple, I respect that
    3. Nobody is on here right now so to say nobody responded is crazy, give it some time, and if they dont then so be it, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    4. People gave Floyd flack over fighting Judah (crazy critics) but you want to say it's a great victory I disagree 100% buddy that it was a great victory (So does Danny G). If you said that same thing in defense of Carlos or Floyd you would get laughed off the forum, but for Cotto you think it was a great victory which seems unfair to me
    5. I saw your votes giving Cotto the fighter of the year, I disagree, nothing wrong with that
    6. If you stop reading at the point in which you said you did then you missed all of the facts of the whole post Reality is what is it, and when you deny it it's denial
    7. You don't need to explain the reason's of other people, only explain the reasons of you, and that's it
    You're missing the point though. Is Cotto P4P number 1?Does Cotto call himself the greatest of all time? You don't count 1 win for 1 fighter the same as another all the time,especially in a case like this. Before the Zab fight,Cotto was nowhere near P4P status,Floyd was P4P number 1.Completely different cases man.I'm not syaing it's the greatest victory ever but it showed he could deal with awesome handspeed(the 1 thing ZAB has in spades and the 1 thing most thought would lead to a Cotto loss someday)

Sorry,I didn't mean to sound rude about the responses etc. It wasn't my place to say. and you've got responses now :P

You're also WAY off about the Cotto over rated part. He's P4P top 10.He's undefeated and has come through his tests with flying colours. He's number 1 at WW behind the champ-Floyd.And finally,go to the Cotto-Floyd:who wins thread and count how many people have said Cotto will win. So,I'm not really understanding where this whole Cotto is over rated is coming from.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is impressive, I under rated him before the Judah fight but he proved me wrong and I still underated him a little before Mosely but he proved me wrong again. He boxed very well in that fight, I didn't think he had those skills. Although I was impressed at the same time I didn't see anything that Floyd can't deal with. I don't think he's overated at all though (apart from by Danny G..actually even he doesn't over rate him..I guess its his Floyd hate thats way OTT rather than him over rating Cotto lol)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz
    Cotto is impressive, I under rated him before the Judah fight but he proved me wrong and I still underated him a little before Mosely but he proved me wrong again. He boxed very well in that fight, I didn't think he had those skills. Although I was impressed at the same time I didn't see anything that Floyd can't deal with. I don't think he's overated at all though (apart from by Danny G..actually even he doesn't over rate him..I guess its his Floyd hate thats way OTT rather than him over rating Cotto lol)
    That's what I'm saying.I can see Cotto giving Mayweather troublefor sure,but I think Mayweather would win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

El Gamo

2. I don't give a rat's a** who responds to this post, it's a free forum and if you disagree don't come on, it's simple, I respect that
    [b]You're missing the point though. Is Cotto P4P number 1?Does Cotto call himself the greatest of all time? You don't count 1 win for 1 fighter the same as another all the time,especially in a case like this[/b]. Before the Zab fight,Cotto was nowhere near P4P status,Floyd was P4P number 1.Completely different cases man.I'm not syaing it's the greatest victory ever but it showed he could deal with awesome handspeed(the 1 thing ZAB has in spades and the 1 thing most thought would lead to a Cotto loss someday)

Sorry,I didn't mean to sound rude about the responses etc. It wasn't my place to say. and you've got responses now :P

You're also WAY off about the Cotto over rated part. He's P4P top 10.He's undefeated and has come through his tests with flying colours. He's number 1 at WW behind the champ-Floyd.And finally,go to the Cotto-Floyd:who wins thread and count how many people have said Cotto will win. So,I'm not really understanding where this whole Cotto is over rated is coming from.
    1. That makes no sense, one guy beats the hell out of someone and it's a bad victory (why did he take the fight), then another guy beats him and it's a great victory Everybody should be judged fairly no matter the status
    2. Cotto broke into the top 10 P4P by beating Judah WTF, he had back to back losses and a suspension, he should not have even gotten a title shot, and that's how he got in
    3. One guy said it best when reviewing the Hatton Vs Mayweather fight "I picked Hatton because I choose with my heart not my head", so you telling me to review the Cotto Vs Mayweather thread is quite humoring
    4. That's because you are not reading the threads

I feel the same about Cotto as I do about Mayweather, I am not a fan of either, I believe that you must be fair to both and many are not fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to like Miguel Cotto until alot of these people have started to overrate him. He is a humble champion who is good for boxing but he is no where near as good as people are starting to make him out to be, I guess they hate Floyd so much they think Cotto is their final chance.

1. People ask why is Floyd not fighting a real WW and then they list Cotto who is 5-7 and no bigger than Ricky Hatton
    2. After a knock out loss by the great Ricky Hatton (And I mean great) people say that he was to small, yet he turned WW against Collazo before Cotto turned WW, go figure. I know Hatton went down for a fight but he came right back up, this is confusing
    3. Cotto beat Judah and Mosley and people think those are great victories, let's analyze this

JUDAH- He just came off of a a** whoppin from Baldo, and another one against Mayweather, suspension, weak fight against a journeyman, and then the loss to Cotto where he hurt Miguel on a couple of different occassions (Something he did not do against Floyd or Carlos
    MAYWEATHER- Has never been the same since 2002, back to back losses against Forrest, two lackluster performances against journeyman, got a gift decision against De La Hoya, back to back losses against Wright when he won a total of 6 rounds in two fights, back to back wins against a brutally shot Vargas in which he struggled in the first fight, a win against a C- level fighter in Collazo who by the way lost to Ricky Hatton in his WW debut. Mosley is a first Ballot HOF in my opinion but is no where near an elite WW since 02. Now I know why people hate Floyd so much, when people brag about him it makes people want to look for holes in his career, but Cotto has 10 times the holes that Floyd has.
    Back track on everyone that Cotto has faced prior to Mosley...that's what's up with all the hype.

Cotto took on some mean contenders & made them all look either foolish or at light bulbs.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

El Kabong Guest

Well I for one think Miguel Cotto is better suited to beat Floyd Mayweather and let me tell you why:

#1 He's more sturdy at 147....he's not weight drained here and he doesn't have to fight in spurts

#2 He's never met a defense he can't get through or get to....he doesn't care if he punches someone on the hip or on the shoulder or elbows....hell he stopped Branco with a friggin hook to the shoulder.

#3 He is more than just a left hook....sorry but that was Ricky's money punch, he has a good jab and right cross/hook but it's not as crisp as what Cotto has....Cotto's jab is a jackhammer. He's got great timing as well, Shane Mosley isn't easy to catch, Zab Judah isn't easy to catch....he has the "IT" factor that power punchers are supposed to have and he can still box which to me is wonderful.

Sure Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a great fighter, sure he has really put it on some good fighters....but if you're looking for a guy who can give Floyd a good run for his money it's Miguel Cotto.....I don't see Floyd staying in the pocket or pushing off with his elbow vs Cotto, I see him pot shotting and moving...and when that's the case and you have a bull of a fighter chasing you...one with great timing and powerful punches, you might get a shocking result.

Alas that is just my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Well I for one think Miguel Cotto is better suited to beat Floyd Mayweather and let me tell you why:

#1 He's more sturdy at 147....he's not weight drained here and he doesn't have to fight in spurts

#2 He's never met a defense he can't get through or get to....he doesn't care if he punches someone on the hip or on the shoulder or elbows....hell he stopped Branco with a friggin hook to the shoulder.

#3 He is more than just a left hook....sorry but that was Ricky's money punch, he has a good jab and right cross/hook but it's not as crisp as what Cotto has....Cotto's jab is a jackhammer. He's got great timing as well, Shane Mosley isn't easy to catch, Zab Judah isn't easy to catch....he has the "IT" factor that power punchers are supposed to have and he can still box which to me is wonderful.

Sure Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a great fighter, sure he has really put it on some good fighters....but if you're looking for a guy who can give Floyd a good run for his money it's Miguel Cotto.....I don't see Floyd staying in the pocket or pushing off with his elbow vs Cotto, I see him pot shotting and moving...and when that's the case and you have a bull of a fighter chasing you...one with great timing and powerful punches, you might get a shocking result.

Alas that is just my opinion
    COPY/PASTE for me. Good posting Lyle. I wish Cotto - Hatton be made and yes has to be at 147 imo.
    Ths is If OSCAR or Floyd won't fight him.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

SigmaMu Guest

I have been preaching the Gospel of Miguel 'ANGEL' Cotto,
    Billy Graham style for years.
    I'm not talking about that smoker from the U.K either.
    If people are jumping on the Cotto express, they are making a very intelligent and educated decision.

I don't care what Zamba Boy says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Fears_Cotto

If people are jumping on the Cotto express, they are making a very intelligent and educated decision.

Why do you put all your egg's in the same basket Danny, I am not a Cotto fan and I am not a Mayweather fan either but fair is fair and you are a long way from fair. Besides why do you think this guy is so evil? Why did you pick Hatton to win? Why did you predict Oscar to win? Maybe it's the same reason you predict Cotto to win if he fights Floyd, emotion no logic

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Fears_Cotto

Why do you put all your egg's in the same basket Danny, I am not a Cotto fan and I am not a Mayweather fan either but fair is fair and you are a long way from fair. Besides why do you think this guy is so evil? Why did you pick Hatton to win? Why did you predict Oscar to win? Maybe it's the same reason you predict Cotto to win if he fights Floyd, emotion no logic
    In every PBF fight I will choose his opponent to win but in the end I change my prediction.
    In the De La Hoya fight I went back and forth. PBF will only fight people he thinks he can beat. He will never fight Cotto, Williams or Margarito.
    The day PBF fights Cotto, I will bet on Cotto blindly.
    The only reason I have picked PBF's opponents to win is to give me something to mess with. If you notice, I have always picked Floyd to win in the end and near fight time. You better go back and find all of my threads. But like I said, Cotto to beat Floyd 24/7 365.

Go dance Zamba with your sister.

And one more thing. I have always said Cotto can beat Floyd this has been years me saying this.
    I don't care about Oscar Drag Queen De La Hoya, BaldoMierda, Crab Foodah, Henry Brusslesprouts, Shotout Mitchell, Arturo Shatti, or any one else Floyd has cherry picked.
    Cotto is the Truth. No te gusta? Me vale madre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree brazilian.. Even now, before this fight is made and people ACTUALLY have to make their predictions in a prediction thread, you have people saying "cotto will give him problems but mayweather will probably win. This is why i don't think Floyd could ever be considered not an ATG, but that's another topic... I just think that just like the victory over Ricky was downplayed, if Floyd beats Cotto then people will say he needs to fight Paul Williams..

But you're exactly right with people WANTING ODLH/Hatton to win as opposed to choosing who they'd actually bet on.. big difference.

Thread Information