Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have there been many better trilogies?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Have there been many better trilogies?

I mean they were talking about it on FNF how most of the legendary trilogies had one fight that didn't quite live up to the other two. Gatti-Ward 2 wasn't on par with Gatti-Ward 3 and definitely wasn't on par with Gatti-Ward 1. Ali-Frazier 2 wasn't on par with Ali-Frazier 1 and 3. Bowe-Holyfield was kind of similar too. And they said that Barrera-Morales was the one that had three truly great fights on the same level but I don't know, to me Barrera-Morales 2 was not on the same par as the other two, especially not the first one.

Vasquez-Marquez was three great fights. To me they just got better as they went along, second was better than the first and to me the third was the best of them all. It was like BoxingGorilla was saying on another thread, it was really too good for me to keep a close score. Will have to rewatch but I don't even really care who won.

So where does this rank?

Edit-I can't really comment too much on Zale-Graziano, only seen one of the fights.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 03-02-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Have there been many better trilogies?

not taking anything away from the hard work of the other trilogy fights but right before the 12 round was about to begin for Vaz Mar 3, that was something very special. thers no other feeling then that.

These two gave us three great fights and theirs no controversial down hill, past it, wash up to their story. They are just two great fighters needing to excuses and even the fans are silent without any excuses for either side. These two may not have the fanbase as the mab and eric out there but they gave us history that needs to be more appreciated and without asking or even mentioning. They gave us light, that fighters like them are the once that deserves the biggest purse possible for a fight, not just a boxing match but a real live FIGHT!

I would love for one day these two get paid ten times more then floyd or oscar, these two really deserve unlike these other monkeys just whoring themself to the public for publicity. Fake characters, but isreal and rafa are TRUE WARRIORS. I hope one day the public can appreciate fighters like these two and other fighters for what they do inside the ring NOT OUTSIDE!

it doesn't get any better then that feeling when the fight was heading to the 12th round.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its my favorite personally.

As good as Gatti-Ward 1 was the next two weren't on this level and these are better fighters than Gatti or Ward. Barrera-Morales 2 wasn't as good as these, and probably not Barrera-Morales 3 although it was a great fight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yup my favorite too, and these two are elites. This is the best trilogy at the highest possible level.

ICB Guest

Its for certain in the top 5 IMO, something like.

Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier
    Marco Antonio Barrera vs Erik Morales
    Tony Zale v Rocky Graziano
    Israel Vasquez vs Rafael Marquez
    Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward

What is surprising is that normally when there are trilogies, the 1st fight is always mostly the best then the fights get a little less exciting. But with Marquez vs Vasquez the trilogy got better and better.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

are you ranking those in order ICE?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    are you ranking those in order ICE?

yea are they in order

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    yea are they in order
    Nah i think its impossible to put them in order, because there all great in different ways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali v Fraser is probably still top because of the signficance of the fights i.e biggest division in boxing etc.

Zale Graziano could maybe match rafa v Isreal for action but like you Ouma bro,I've only ever seen one of their fights and I think it's the only one there is footage of right?

MAB-EM matches it for action but Vazquez Marquez had more going on ie knockdowns etc.

Ward-Gatti were AMAZING wars but Vazquez Marquez had way way way more skill on display.

I'd say Rafa v Isreal is top 3 at worst,for me personally,I'd have it at number 1.2 stoppages and a split decision in 3 fights,knockdowns,point deductions,heart,skill and some of the most ferocious power punch exchanges I've ever seen topped off with the heart breaking round 12(I love Rafa and it wasn't nice seeing his get beaten from pillar to post but he showed SO much heart). The ULTIMATE drama. I've seen this fight on MMA sites getting tonnes of downloads too. I wish it had been advertised more,a perfect way to show boxing off!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Speaking of great trilogies.

I called my grandfather last night after the fight pumped up at about it.

He was telling me about Tony Zale and Rocky Graziano trilogy was really good as he remebered. Thoughts?
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Speaking of great trilogies.

My best trilogy has to be Eric Morales v MAB.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i heard about that but i can't say cause i never seen it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    I called my grandfather last night after the fight pumped up at about it.

He was telling me about Tony Zale and Rocky Graziano trilogy was really good as he remebered. Thoughts?

it was one of the best, it was a bit before my time but it hink it was in the second fight when Graziano won it was then he said that famous line that was always going to stick with him "Someone up ther elikes me ma'" thats was the title of his film to i believe.

Zale was like a skilled micky ward, hard as hell and a great body puncher, Graziano was everything that his first name means.

ill see if i can find the third fight for you and pm u the links

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I have read Zale was the boxer and a vicious body puncher. He was past his best after the third fight but still beat Rocky.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840hnecEUVI

thats the third fight, can only find it on youtube atm...

zale was 35, old for then, but it was different then, zale was in great shape and when you are big hitters using like 6-8oz gloves its always tough and zale got him early... with that said they didn't call zale the man of steel for no reason.

Thread Information