Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maywether Vs Leonard,Heans,Duran at welter weight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Maywether Vs Leonard,Heans,Duran at welter weight?

How do you think Floyd would do against the prime of the 80s boxing?

I think he might outbox Duran but could not imagin Mayweather beating Leonard or Hearns.

Before sombody says it yes I know Mayweather was arguably a better fighter at the lighter weights.
    Balls

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Maywether Vs Leonard,Heans,Duran at welter weight?

I think he holds his own but I think he loses to all those guys....just my opinion of course but:

Duran: Robert had solid defense on the inside, could roughhouse better than Floyd and get away with fouls like no other....all around solid boxer. The prefight hype for this fight would have been worth the price of admission because Duran knew how to psychologically break down a fighter just like Floyd does....I see this one being the closest match

Leonard: Ray is like Shane or Oscar but hella faster putting his punches together. He could box, he could brawl and he could shine the shoes on ANYONE.

Hearns: Let's pretend that when Floyd got rocked vs Zab, Shane, or Corley that Tommy 'The Hitman' Hearns was doing the punching....there would have been 0 need for any follow up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd over them all...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    How do you think Floyd would do against the prime of the 80s boxing?

I think he might outbox Duran but could not imagin Mayweather beating Leonard or Hearns.

Before sombody says it yes I know Mayweather was arguably a better fighter at the lighter weights.
    Actually not a bad analysis. Duran's best weight was lightweight. When he went up in weight, he lost some of his speed, and his power wasn't as effective as against the smaller guys. SRL and Hearns were natural welters. Floyd would lose handily to them both. Floyd against Duran at any lighter weight would be a different story, though. Duran's aggresiveness and power would overwhelm Floyd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu apprentice View Post
    Hearns: Let's pretend that when Floyd got rocked vs Zab, Shane, or Corley that Tommy 'The Hitman' Hearns was doing the punching....there would have been 0 need for any follow up.
    I was struck by the sheer professionalism of PBF's reaction to Mosley rocking him. Textbook perfect: holds on the buy time, hands go up, then he stays close in order to prevent Mosely from gettng the space necessary to throw a power punch. By the end of the round he's actually stalking Mosely. That is some major boxing intellegence, so I'm not confident in a Hearns KO.

Still, its hard to bet agasint Hearns. He was a freak with that height and weight advantage....arguably the hardest hitting welter ever. On top of that he could box, and managed to do so successfully for many round against SRL. He could win at welter via the jab alone, which was really a punch...managing to rock even the iron jawed SRL.

But his one flaw was a weak chin, and that was the only discernable way of beating him. Forget outboxing him (if SRL couldnt do it...), PBF wouyld have to stalk and catch him. Hearns will then backpeddle and box. It seems unlikely that PBF would be able to put together the combos SRL needed to overwhelm the Hitman, especially considering hearns will be throwing those power jab the whiole time.

PBF's offensive style is a very unusual super-accurate-one-punch-at-a-time methodology. I don't think thats enough to get to hearns chin, if he has to get past the jab and backpeddling first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    floyd over them all...
    Agreed. The only one on that list who could touch Floyd is Duran and as stated that would only happen at lightweight. Floyd outpoints all three at 147.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beats Duran at welter. Not Durans best weight and Floyd knows how to deal with pressure fighters.

Loses badly to Hearns, just cant see any possible way he could outbox him and he sure aint knocking him out.

Close loss to SRL, I think people underestimate just how great Suger Ray was. All the skills of Mayweather but could switch style if he wanted and his combinations were awesome.

Not sure how anyone thinks Floyd could beat them all though. I mean c'mon thats just ridiculous. Floyds a great great fighter but he sure as hell couldnt whitewash the Fabulous Four (if we include Hagler who i know wasnt a welter). Those 4 are top 10 of all time IMO.
    Knowledge is Power

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thing is all these times Mayweather has been caught with are shots coming up at him usually. Whenever he faces someone that fights tall he dominates them and usually stops them. Hearns didn't have the best chin in the world and Mayweathers chin is very good and his defense is great too. Hearns was a sucker for a lead right hand and thats one of Mayweather's best punches.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 1-hit Wonder View Post
    Beats Duran at welter. Not Durans best weight and Floyd knows how to deal with pressure fighters.

Loses badly to Hearns, just cant see any possible way he could outbox him and he sure aint knocking him out.

Close loss to SRL, I think people underestimate just how great Suger Ray was. All the skills of Mayweather but could switch style if he wanted and his combinations were awesome.

Not sure how anyone thinks Floyd could beat them all though. I mean c'mon thats just ridiculous. Floyds a great great fighter but he sure as hell couldnt whitewash the Fabulous Four (if we include Hagler who i know wasnt a welter). Those 4 are top 10 of all time IMO.
    What's ridiculous is this notion that some people feel the 4 greats of the 80s just automatically beat every other fighter from every other era. The main thing they did to cement their own legacies was beat up on each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd over them all...
    first off jjm, i enjoy reading ur posts, for me ur easily one of the best posters on here, always class mate, but really mayweather over them all, dont get me wrong i love mayweather, and after the mosley performance i respected him so much more, hes one of the greatest in history, a true credit to the game. just curious as to ur post saying mayweather beats them all at welter, i strongly disagree, i think out of all 3 tommy h would of been the most hardest fights due to hitmans physical advantages, also sugar ray i just cant see mayweather beating him up at welter, and as for duran hes my favourite ever so i have to say duran out fights mayweather to a ud. i no anything is possible, and mayweather could beat these fighters, but going off what i no and what i have seen and believe, l think mayweather loses all 3. i strongly reiterate tho, that anything is possible

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hearns gives him the most trouble. The height, power and speed of Hearns gives him the best chance. I think PBF can work out Duran and Leonard better than he could Hearns. No doubt PBF is up there now with these 3 great fighters. Duran at Lightweight would have been an incredible fight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    What's ridiculous is this notion that some people feel the 4 greats of the 80s just automatically beat every other fighter from every other era. The main thing they did to cement their own legacies was beat up on each other.
    This doesn't work. Duran was a legend at lightweight b/f meeting any of the other fab4. Perhaps he cemeted his legacy by becoming the only person to ever defeat SRL at welter, but then he no-massed and lost to every one else.

Hagler, like Duran at lightweifgt, made his rep well b/f destroying Hearns in his signature fight. But he was an all-time great even before that, though denied the recogntion at the time.

Tommy Hearns, while not great yet, was considered freakshily powerful before meeting SRL. He knoocked out everyone, and often in brutal fashion. He rep was like tyson's b/f his first title fight. If you go back and read the press at the time, most of the smart money was on the hitman prior to the first fight with leoanrd. indeed, he out-jabbed him, outboxed him, and obviously threw harder punches. then SLR discovered his chin. Hearns rep with the public went up after the fight, as he displayed sick skills, but the revelation of his weakness erased his unbeatable rep.

SRL was the golden boy b/f meeting duran. but he proabaly needed the rest of the fab4 more than anyone else. take away duran, hearns and hagler, and he doesn't have much of a legacy.

But that was what was so special about the era. they all fought each other. Now we've had PBF(SRL-flashy boxer), PACman(Duran like size and offensive intensity with excellent defense), Willams(Hearns-b/c of the height and reach), and Mosely(Hagler-great power and a tad underappreciated) for the last few years and only PBF-Mosley have fought. WTF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manju View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    This doesn't work. Duran was a legend at lightweight b/f meeting any of the other fab4. Perhaps he cemeted his legacy by becoming the only person to ever defeat SRL at welter, but then he no-massed and lost to every one else.

Hagler, like Duran at lightweifgt, made his rep well b/f destroying Hearns in his signature fight. But he was an all-time great even before that, though denied the recogntion at the time.

Tommy Hearns, while not great yet, was considered freakshily powerful before meeting SRL. He knoocked out everyone, and often in brutal fashion. He rep was like tyson's b/f his first title fight. If you go back and read the press at the time, most of the smart money was on the hitman prior to the first fight with leoanrd. indeed, he out-jabbed him, outboxed him, and obviously threw harder punches. then SLR discovered his chin. Hearns rep with the public went up after the fight, as he displayed sick skills, but the revelation of his weakness erased his unbeatable rep.

SRL was the golden boy b/f meeting duran. but he proabaly needed the rest of the fab4 more than anyone else. take away duran, hearns and hagler, and he doesn't have much of a legacy.

But that was what was so special about the era. they all fought each other. Now we've had PBF(SRL-flashy boxer), PACman(Duran like size and offensive intensity with excellent defense), Willams(Hearns-b/c of the height and reach), and Mosely(Hagler-great power and a tad underappreciated) for the last few years and only PBF-Mosley have fought. WTF!
    Read what I wrote before spewing off nonsense, I didn't say the ONLY thing they did was beat each other, I said THE MAIN thing they did was beat each other. When you look at their careers the FIRST thing anyone looks at is how they fared against the other three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by paddy448 View Post
    floyd over them all...
    first off jjm, i enjoy reading ur posts, for me ur easily one of the best posters on here, always class mate, but really mayweather over them all, dont get me wrong i love mayweather, and after the mosley performance i respected him so much more, hes one of the greatest in history, a true credit to the game. just curious as to ur post saying mayweather beats them all at welter, i strongly disagree, i think out of all 3 tommy h would of been the most hardest fights due to hitmans physical advantages, also sugar ray i just cant see mayweather beating him up at welter, and as for duran hes my favourite ever so i have to say duran out fights mayweather to a ud. i no anything is possible, and mayweather could beat these fighters, but going off what i no and what i have seen and believe, l think mayweather loses all 3. i strongly reiterate tho, that anything is possible
    When I said that, i didnt mean that he'd blow them out, I just believe given what's been seen of them vs Floyd I think floyd beats them all with hearns being the toughest.

well duran would be pot shot to death and he'd become frustrated.

SRL..I dont care what anyone says, floyd SR took the fight on two weeks notice and had a bullet in his leg. He was giving Ray a very hard fight and Senior isn't anywhere near as good as floyd using the same style , I think floyd would beat him.

Hearns reach and power in that right would be the test of if he could land it.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    thing is all these times Mayweather has been caught with are shots coming up at him usually. Whenever he faces someone that fights tall he dominates them and usually stops them. Hearns didn't have the best chin in the world and Mayweathers chin is very good and his defense is great too. Hearns was a sucker for a lead right hand and thats one of Mayweather's best punches.
    The 2 tall fighters he dominated that stand out were Diego Corrales and Phillip N'dou. N'dou was a good fighter. Diego was very good. Hearns was a great fighter. And he had an excellent jab. Hearns chin was weak. But it would stand up to Mayweathers power. I see noway Floyd could beat Hearns

Duran beats him (he beats everybody) at Lightweight. But not at Welterweight. Mayweather would take a competitive, but clear cut win.

Leonard I think would pose the least problems for Floyd. Mainly cuz of Mayweathers outstanding defense. Leonard had all kinds of problems against Wilfredo Bentiez defense. He was luckly Bentiez couldn't make him pay every time he made him miss. Mayweather would

Thread Information