Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will UFC take over from boxing

Hi guys.
    This joker thinks UFC will take over from boxing. Has he got a point. Frankly, I think boxing will always be the superior sport because of the tradition, artistry and skill level.

Does UFC have boxing's number?

Ultimate Fighting Championship claims that it has surpassed boxing — and the staged outcomes of World Wrestling Entertainment, for that matter — as the most popular fight sport in the US.

http://www.sportsnut.com.au/category.php?intid=7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will UFC take over from boxing

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack
    Hi guys.
    This joker thinks UFC will take over from boxing. Has he got a point. Frankly, I think boxing will always be the superior sport because of the tradition, artistry and skill level.

Does UFC have boxing's number?

Ultimate Fighting Championship claims that it has surpassed boxing — and the staged outcomes of World Wrestling Entertainment, for that matter — as the most popular fight sport in the US.

http://www.sportsnut.com.au/category.php?intid=7
    Well one of the big factors now is boxing is not being shown on the free channels like it used to be.The UFC fights now are being shown on free channels now where it started out only being a PPV event.If Boxing want's to keep going it has to be offered to the general public on local channels and not $49.99 PPV!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Rogan did say something very interesting in his debate with Dou Dibella.

He said that boxing is itself a form of martial arts and I would have to agree. He then went on to say that it is just one form of martial arts and therefore fighting, in the same way that jutitsu is one form, and karate another.

He then went on to argue that MMA is about the art of total fighting, pitting the best guys from each discipline against each other to find out which martial arts disciplines are the most effective in a total combat situation.

I really like what he was saying. Dibella argued nonsensically that boxing was the 'sweet science' but taken individually you would have to agree that every martial art has just as much of a 'sweet science' to it as boxing. The world's best jujitsu guys, the best wrestlers, the best kung fu guys they all have tremendous skill and have certainly perfected their own 'sweet sciences'.

Rogan then went on to argue that until the emergance of MMA tournaments and organistations in the recent past these guys had no way of entering professional competitions and pursuing their sports at the highest level.

Now with the MMA, Pride and other organistations we have for the first time the potential to see the development of the science of 'complete unarmed combat' and the eventul emergence of the complete fighting machine.

This to me, and other's who 'get it' is amazingly exciting. Finally after hundreds of years of speculation and theory we are finally seeing, in demonstration how each martial art compares and how useful they are in a practical real world situation of fighting.

As more and more people get on board, and better and more skilled athletes participate we will in time see the complete martial arts system.

In the long term, if this is realised it has the potential to completely overshadow boxing and reduce it to a sideshow.

For boxing to maintain it's popularity it has to be aware of the things the UFC is getting right and imitate them.

Cater to the fans, make boxing more freely available on television, ensure the best fights get made, clean up the bad judging, reduce the weight of the gloves, change the rules slighty to make more aggressive fighting rewarded, introduce action replays to help the referees etc

If they don't the UFC will only continue to make inroads into boxing, taking away not only its PPV revenue but also its best young talents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Joe rogan is annoying any way. Maybee him and Teddy Atlas should sit down and have a discsion. I like to see Teddy scrap.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

ICB Guest

Im big boxing fan but i've found myself recently tuning into UFC its free good fights good kos i wouldn't be suprised if UFC started getting very major threat to boxing.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

He said that boxing is itself a form of martial arts and I would have to agree. He then went on to say that it is just one form of martial arts and therefore fighting, in the same way that jutitsu is one form, and karate another.

He then went on to argue that MMA is about the art of total fighting, pitting the best guys from each discipline against each other to find out which martial arts disciplines are the most effective in a total combat situation.
    But that is the thing. Boxing has never been about complete all around combat. It's been about punching, hit and not get hit, float like a butterfly sting like a bee ect. MMA is more "complete" when talking about fighting. But boxing isn't fighting, it's boxing. I don't know why that aspect has been brought up, I don't think it's very relevant honestly.

Rogan then went on to argue that until the emergance of MMA tournaments and organistations in the recent past these guys had no way of entering professional competitions and pursuing their sports at the highest level.

Now with the MMA, Pride and other organistations we have for the first time the potential to see the development of the science of 'complete unarmed combat' and the eventul emergence of the complete fighting machine.
    Agreed but I don't know if that closes in on boxing. I mean, you would be better off comparing it to wrestling rather then boxing. Most of the stuff is on the ground and very rarely does one fighter throw more then 20 punches a round. That is at the very most.

This to me, and other's who 'get it' is amazingly exciting. Finally after hundreds of years of speculation and theory we are finally seeing, in demonstration how each martial art compares and how useful they are in a practical real world situation of fighting.
    I agree, but I don't think that relates to boxing.

As more and more people get on board, and better and more skilled athletes participate we will in time see the complete martial arts system.

For boxing to maintain it's popularity it has to be aware of the things the UFC is getting right and imitate them.

Cater to the fans, make boxing more freely available on television, ensure the best fights get made, clean up the bad judging, reduce the weight of the gloves, change the rules slighty to make more aggressive fighting rewarded, introduce action replays to help the referees etc
    This I agree 100% with. But also, MMA is going to succumb to the same downfalls that bestow boxing. You would at lease have to explore that possibility. I agree with aggressive fighting being rewarded though and quite honestly, I would love a complete overhaul in the judges.

If they don't the UFC will only continue to make inroads into boxing, taking away not only its PPV revenue but also its best young talents.
    This I disagree with. Especially the last part. Most of boxing in America's young talents are black kids from innercities who start boxing at a very young age. I don't think it'll make a move on boxing's talents for a long while. And when you compare PPV revenues per show last year, UFC and HBO boxing were about even.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't like UFC, i tried to watch a few events (Roy Gracie was terrific) but if i want to see grapplers or a pub fight...i'll go to the pub! I don't see the skill in it at all, even i could kick someone in the balls!
    There is still an art in Boxing, hit and don't get hit, fitness, movement etc.
    To me UFC is two bozos fighting over a chick!

SigmaMu Guest

Boxing needs Gladiators, warriors and entertainers.
    I never want to see another PBF again. Seriously. Sorry PBF fans.
    I never want to see another Corey Spinks again!
    These fighters stink. The last thing they do is fight.
    I want to see warriors and gladiators.
    Bob Arum said "enough with these businessmen fighters"
    Larry Merchant said "enough with these fighters who wont engage and do battle".
    I agree!

Fighters should be paid based on performance.
    Fighters who don't perform and don't give the paying fans their money's worth, should be penalized and deducted money from their purse. The money should be then saved and given to lesser name fighter's during that event undercard or and for future events. Fighters who entertain and give it their all should be rewarded with bonuses and fighters who just come and try to squeek by should be deducted money. If you call yourself a fighter then fight!
    Fighters should be forced to engage at least once toe to toe each round.
    I heard a ref the other night tell the MMA fighters during a fight, that if they did not engage and do battle he would deduct a point. He said who ever starts running will be deducted a point.

Nothing will change until we the fans have had enough and stop paying for these events. We need to make demands. I wont ever be a MMA fan. I watch it from time to time but it is just not my gig.
    When the fans get sick and tired of being sick and tired of being ripped off, then the changes will come. Boycott! Stop paying for these fights you idiots!

All this shiet about I will fight the person who can bring the most cash (Jermain Taylor) I say phuk you! He stinks too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat

But that is the thing. Boxing has never been about complete all around combat. It's been about punching, hit and not get hit, float like a butterfly sting like a bee ect. MMA is more "complete" when talking about fighting. But boxing isn't fighting, it's boxing. I don't know why that aspect has been brought up, I don't think it's very relevant honestly.

Agreed but I don't know if that closes in on boxing. I mean, you would be better off comparing it to wrestling rather then boxing. Most of the stuff is on the ground and very rarely does one fighter throw more then 20 punches a round. That is at the very most.

I agree, but I don't think that relates to boxing.

This I agree 100% with. But also, MMA is going to succumb to the same downfalls that bestow boxing. You would at lease have to explore that possibility. I agree with aggressive fighting being rewarded though and quite honestly, I would love a complete overhaul in the judges.

This I disagree with. Especially the last part. Most of boxing in America's young talents are black kids from innercities who start boxing at a very young age. I don't think it'll make a move on boxing's talents for a long while. And when you compare PPV revenues per show last year, UFC and HBO boxing were about even.
    Hey Amat. I'm not trying to argue that MMA is better than boxing what I'm trying to say is that it IS a valid sport. It's aim, to develop the ultimate combat style and to pursue the quest for the 'perfect' all around fighter is at least as valid, and in time will be as much of a science as boxing.

Different sports, and both will appeal for different reasons, but people who argue that MMA is human cockfighting or involves no skill need to wake up.

The 'science' of total combat is every bit as noble and legitimate a pursuit as the 'sweet science' of boxing is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And then Joe Rogan sat down and wrote a joke that nobody laughed at,and then he got handed another previously wildly succesful basic cable show,that got canceled within months of Joe Rogan being handed it.
    Hey Joe
    When your muscles ache,and your hungry as hell
    You go to a spa,and have a steak
    I brush it off,go to work,and have a salad as a treat
    Shut yer piehole

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree totally, I love MMA, my brother has been involved with it for years helping out with a bunch of different guys wrestling skills. And it has developed a ton over the past few years. But will it overtake boxing? If boxing dies, it's because of boxing not UFC. That's my only point. Now we know that boxing won't die for a long time, it has 20 times the global influence of MMA. So I was just pointing out that the UFC's assertions on boxing is wrong. That's all.

And I agree completely, like I said in the other thread, when I saw Dibella battling it out with Rogan, I cringed because I knew how ignorant Lou was and that boxing would come off bad. If it weren't for the level headed Bryan Kenny being the moderator I would have changed the channel.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be boxing or MMA, the same way it doesn't have to be football or baseball. It can be boxing AND MMA. I'm a HUGE boxing fan watching UFC 71 right now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree totally, I love MMA, my brother has been involved with it for years helping out with a bunch of different guys wrestling skills. And it has developed a ton over the past few years. But will it overtake boxing? If boxing dies, it's because of boxing not UFC. That's my only point. Now we know that boxing won't die for a long time, it has 20 times the global influence of MMA. So I was just pointing out that the UFC's assertions on boxing is wrong. That's all.

And I agree completely, like I said in the other thread, when I saw Dibella battling it out with Rogan, I cringed because I knew how ignorant Lou was and that boxing would come off bad. If it weren't for the level headed Bryan Kenny being the moderator I would have changed the channel.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be boxing or MMA, the same way it doesn't have to be football or baseball. It can be boxing AND MMA. I'm a HUGE boxing fan watching UFC 71 right now.
    agreed. Finally got a stream via vlc player, watching the Petrosian fight now

SigmaMu Guest

See, I have no interest in this or else I too would be watching it stream.
    But I am not.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G

See, I have no interest in this or else I too would be watching it stream.
    But I am not.
    That's the thing. It's subjective. You don't have to like it. But don't (and I'm not saying you did because from what I read, I agree and you didn't slight MMA other then saying you don't like it) call it human cockfighting and talentless because then Kimbo would be P4P number 1. I think that's where UFC's big beef is.

Thread Information