Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The great brits

First off EVERYBODY counts. Born in the UK, boxed out of the UK, claimed the UK as home etc. since 1882 (the rise of the Marquess of Queensbury Rules).

General Criteria

1. Beating other great fighters
    2. Being a THE MAN champion
    3. Beating THE MAN champions
    4. Beating ranked fighters
    5. Overall record
    6. Bad losses, losses in prime to non-great fighters count against.

1. Bob Fitzsimmons-The sport's first three division THE MAN champion. Think of him as kind of a Tommy Hearns. 6'1, thin legs, a powerful upper body and a sledgehammer puncher. When you look at Fitz understand that in those days fighters weighed in minutes before stepping into the ring. Won the 175 crown at forty years of age. Ruby Robert defeated ATG Non-Pareil Jack Dempsey, Jim Corbett, Peter Maher, Tom Sharkey, Philadelphia Jack O'Brien and despite giving up forty pounds gave Jim Jeffries hell twice.

2. Jimmy Wilde
    -The Ghost With A Hammer In His Hand is one of the few fighters who more or less had a division created for him. Arguably the best p4p puncher in history and had 100 recorded knockouts. Wilde routinely weighed in under 100 pounds (often while dressed), giving up 10-15 pounds to his foe. Lost only once in his prime and while he has over 130 recorded wins, Wilde credibly claimed to have fought over 400 times. The greatest flyweight of all time and a good case can be made that he deserves the top slot.

3. Ted "Kid" Lewis- Over 200 career wins, three-time 147 THE MAN champion, fought fellow ATG Jack Britton twenty times (6-9-4)! An all-action fighter, most of his losses occurred to Britton or when when fighting larger men. Another big puncher. Lewis is also responsible for bringing the mouthpiece into boxing. In his career he fought 2600 rounds. That is more than the p4p top ten today have fought combined.

4. Freddie Welsh-The Welsh Wizard won the undisputed lightweight championship and defended it nine times. Has wins over HOFers Jim Driscoll, Abe Attell, Pal Moore, Johnny Dundee, Ad Wolgast, Benny Leonard, Battling Nelson, in some cases multiple times. Over 125 career wins. This time period is generally scene as THE golden age of the lightweight division and Welsh was one of the slickest.

5. Jimmy McLarnin-The Belfast Spider is the fighter from the past whose resume most closely resembles Manny Pacquiao's. He defeated great fighters from flyweight to welter and though a big puncher, his hands kept his total number of bouts to around seventy. He defeated Pancho Villa, Fidel LaBarba, Bud Taylor, Kid Kaplan, Billy Petrolle, Benny Leonard, Barney Ross, Young Corbett III, Tony Canzoneri and Lou Ambers, HOFers all. McLarnin was THE MAN champion at 147 twice.

6. Ken Buchanan-Undisputed lightweight king with two defenses. Wins over HOFer Ismael Laguna twice, Carlos Hernandez and Carlos Ortiz. A marvelous technician but not a huge puncher. Became a fan favorite at MSG. He was being beaten by Roberto Duran when Duran hit him below the belt to win the 135 crown.

7. Lennox Lewis
    -Britian's greatest Heavyweight. A two-time THE MAN heavyweight champion with eight total defenses. Beat the following probable HOFers. Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Vitali Klitschko. That last win becomes more impressive over time as Klitschko's own resume grows. About the only falw in Lewis' armor is he was KO'd by two mediocrities while in his prime. When we are discussing ATG's, that just doesn't happen. The argument he "avenged" them holds no water. ATG's generally don't have to avenge KO losses to mediocrities and how exactly did he avenge the McCall loss? The guy had a nervous breakdown. Lewis really is a transitional figure as the division moves from historically sized heavyweights to the giants of today. A huge puncher.

8. Howard Winstone-Lose parts of three fingers and still become a THE MAN champion? THAT's pretty good! Resume looks a lot like Ken Buchanan's except he had the misfortune to have to deal with HOFer Vincente Saldivar who defeated him in three title shots. While he defeated a raft of ranked contenders, he doesn't have that big signature win to put him with Buchanan.

9. Joe Calzaghe-THE MAN at 168 and one of the unique fighters we'll see. A transcendent athlete and I think a genuinely tough guy. Unbeaten in his pro career. He is limited on a list like this by the quality of his competition faced. His biggest win is an impressive one over probable HOFer BHOP. But after that the competition falls dramatically compared to the others on this list. Would have been a handful for any 168 who's ever stepped in the ring.

10. There are just too many guys I am going to leave off. So for this spot a hat tip to Benny Lynch, Jackie Kid Berg, Randy Turpin, Jim Driscoll, Barry Mcguigan and the late Henry Cooper.

Where am I wrong and waddya got?
    Last edited by marbleheadmaui; 05-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The great brits

Wilde had the greatest nick-name in the history of boxing. I read that Welsh painted a circle on his heavy bag and landed every jab to that exact spot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You lost all credibility with me when I saw there was no Audley Harrison in the list!

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn should be in there for his Britishness, grit and stiff upper lip.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Nigel Benn should be in there for his Britishness, grit and stiff upper lip.
    On the list of "British Fighters You'd Like to watch" Nigel is near the top! I will always like the man for the way he reacted during and after the G-Man fight. Climbing back through the ropes utterly undiscouraged and then celebrating afterwards he sees McClellan has collapsed and Benn's face just collapses as well. A good guy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    You lost all credibility with me when I saw there was no Audley Harrison in the list!
    I often wonder why nobody ever loses only partial credibility anymore

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Naseem Hameed
    Chris Eubanks

Job Biscuit (i think Hameed should be up there in the top 10)!!!

eh eh!!!
    Last edited by Otley; 05-02-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    Naseem Hameed
    Chris Eubanks

eh eh!!!
    You could make a case for Hamed. Tom Johnson and Vasquez and Medeina were no joke. I just can't get out of my head how he was just dominated and psychologically broken by the only great fighter he ever faced. It's not the loss, losing to MAB is no biggie, it is not even trying to come back from it that sticks in my craw.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Naseem Hameed
    Chris Eubanks

eh eh!!!
    You could make a case for Hamed. Tom Johnson and Vasquez and Medeina were no joke. I just can't get out of my head how he was just dominated and psychologically broken by the only great fighter he ever faced. It's not the loss, losing to MAB is no biggie, it is not even trying to come back from it that sticks in my craw.
    True but he beat very good fighters you just mentioned and very entertaining with massive power.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My top 4

Lennox Lewis, Jimmy Wilde, Joe Calzaghe & Ken Buchanan.

Other mentions: Bob Fitzsimmons, Naz, Howard Winstone, Ted Kid Lewis, Kid Berg and Lloyd Honeyghan
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Not even an honorable mention, what an oversight, that's bloody awful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Naseem Hameed
    Chris Eubanks

eh eh!!!
    True but he beat very good fighters you just mentioned and very entertaining with massive power.
    Yup. But entertainment is not, in my view, an attribute contributing to greatness. If it was Arturo Gatti would be considered great

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i honestly dont like calzaghe on that list, never been a fan of him as a fighter, i think he left way to early, there is to much work left to me done at SM

Thread Information