Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default boxing and supplements

I know supplements have become a major part of sports, every thing from hormones to protein shakes, but since boxing is a sport in which making and maintaining weight is very important I was wondering were these supplements fit in. I'm sure there are boxers in the pros that use some sort of supplement weather it be for muscle recovery or just for strength. I mean I dont think that you can get a body like Many Paquiao's without some sort of supplement. Any ways in my case I weigh 134 and I'm actualy trying to get down to 125 to fight as an amature ( still got some flab around the midsection) and I was wondering if there is any way that I could take some sort of protein shakes that would help me build lean muscle without bulking me up and allowing to still drop weight. Any advise would be very appreciated.
    " To beat me he will have to kill me and to do that he has to be willing to die himself "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing and supplements

We more or less keep it to Protein and Creatine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So with protien shakes I can still make a lean 125 ? Remember I'm coming down from 134
    " To beat me he will have to kill me and to do that he has to be willing to die himself "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feur could probably explain this better(shes the one with the degree in sports medicine) but here goes
    What your trying to avoid is high starch/carb/fat foods like pasta,or ground beef(oddly steak is not that high,but ground beef is) and pork by all means
    Youll need to put in the lost protein/iron somehow
    Also the creatine will help you bounce back faster from your workouts,and to shave that much off,youll need to train your butt off

For the love of god though,keep yourself heavily hydrated while using it.
    I havent checked,since we no longer use it,but I dont know if Andro is banned yet,but that has even greater dehydration issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boxman
    thanks
    De Nada,you hit us at exactly the right moment,as depending on what we get offer,Feur may have to come from Super Middleweight to meet a light middle weight in the middle.So we're working on how to shave down if we have to as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're trying to cut weight, creatine is the last friggin thing you want.

I'd suggest bulking up to a higher class. I'm pretty sure they're banned by whatever state's athletic commission you're in, but Haladrol 50 and Sustevol are good stuff, at least as far as that they're legal and they work. I really couldn't reccomend it health-wise though. They're both VERY chemically similar to known/banned steroids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Brockton Bomber
    If you're trying to cut weight, creatine is the last friggin thing you want.

I'd suggest bulking up to a higher class. I'm pretty sure they're banned by whatever state's athletic commission you're in, but Haladrol 50 and Sustevol are good stuff, at least as far as that they're legal and they work. I really couldn't reccomend it health-wise though. They're both VERY chemically similar to known/banned steroids.
    Check the original post
    Guys issue is love handles,he'll be able to train harder with the Tine

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you only have 'a bit' of fat on you then you're not going to be able to loose that fat and build muscle whilst coming down in weight...

Muscle has a weight you know? :P.... infact it's roughly 3 times the weight of fat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    If you only have 'a bit' of fat on you then you're not going to be able to loose that fat and build muscle whilst coming down in weight...

Muscle has a weight you know? :P.... infact it's roughly 3 times the weight of fat
    But you get the samebounce back factor from creatine wether or not your doing aerobic or anaerobic excercises
    Its all a matter of what your training towards,not what you put in to your body

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never said anything about Creatine.

He said he wants to lose the little bit of fat that he has and gain lean Muscle mass whilst moving down in weight from 135 to 125.

Not happening, unless muscle isn't 3 times denser than fat or he has more than 'a little' fat to lose.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB

But you get the samebounce back factor from creatine wether or not your doing aerobic or anaerobic excercises
    Its all a matter of what your training towards,not what you put in to your body
    When you say 'Bounce back' factor are you talking about it helping to reduce DOMS?

Creatine will supply more energy to the ATP-CP system so yeah... he could possibly train harder on it... but if he cuts on fat and particularly carbohydrates then Anaerobically, at least as far as the Lactic system is concerned he's not gonna be getting quality training in... Aerobically to an extent too... your fat reserves aren't enough.

He doesn't need to go on any low carb diet and force weight off himself... if he was training purely for fat loss... aesthetics etc then yes... but as soon as those carbs go... his [u]boxing[/b] training will suffer... the quality will go... it's not just quanity he needs to develop.

I'd never recommend any athlete go on a low carb diet... especially in the middle of the season. He's an amatuer boxer... no need to drasticly cut weight... just train hard and smart and eat sensibly... you can supplement Creatine, Protein, L-Carnitine etc... what ever... anything that helps you to develop... but avoiding carbs just so you can loose some fat?

Plus if he avoids starch then his shit is gonna wreak... :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A "little fat to lose" is of course the million dollar question
    But that aside,there's a world of difference between lowering your carb intake,and wiping it out entirely
    Or to put it in to a fat/carb meal context,its the difference between a big ol bowl of pasta with heavy ground beef meat sauce,and garlic bread,and having a well done steak off the grill,some lightly salted tater tots and a salad with a lite Italian dressing
    One meals a love handle waiting to happen,and the other provides you what you need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally don't think that carbs are such a terrible thing. They're a great source of energy. Just make sure you try to steer clear of too many empty carbs that come from sugars. They burn too fast and make you feel kind of crummy when they wear off while training. Compex carbohydrates seem to fuel you better over the longer stretches of a worker. Protein is going to be necessary to help rebuild muscles in between workouts. I think the main thing is to eat a balanced diet and keep close track of your caloric intake.

Adam's absolutely right though. If you put on muscle, your overall body weight is going to go up, not down. Even if you do trim off the excess fat (except in the case of a person whose got a lot of fat to loose). Like he said, muscle weighs about three times as much as fat so if you're looking to come down in weight, you'll need be very careful about building muscle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, yeah. And don't forget the Mars Bars to help you recover. (Anyone else remember that thread?)

Thread Information