Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Issues on reach

I'm a beginner who has started sparring recently and am looking for help with a couple of issues.
    I have developed a strong left jab which I throw most frequently, however my sparring partner is very good at leaning back to avoid my left jab. I can sneak them in with feints and good movement, but i'd like to know how to improve my reach. A larger step in would increase my reach but is that too risky for me as he is a strong puncher in close range.

Also, he has a strong right hand with straights and hooks, what is the best way to deal with that or shut down the right hand as his left is weak. I can dodge his punches but my stamina leaves me short after a few rounds of dodging his right.

Thanks in advance for your advice and criticism.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Issues on reach

Double up the jab, follow him back if you can, cause he is off balance if he is leaning back.
    If his lead arm worries you as your heading in, then try to position yourself to use your lead glove to cover his elbow point as you go in and launch a shot from there as you move.

Not many people do it, but if your outreached by a lengthy lead arm that follows you around and keeps you at a distance you can lightly move that arm on the way in.Chances are his reaction will be to push the opposite way to what you try to lightly move it so you slip around the same way that you pushed cause he will then help you by reacting the reverse.

(I'm the alternate styled one in here) I try and come up with different stuff then the usual...have fun with it or ignore me if you feel the urge ;-).
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I'm a beginner who has started sparring recently and am looking for help with a couple of issues.
    I have developed a strong left jab which I throw most frequently, however my sparring partner is very good at leaning back to avoid my left jab. I can sneak them in with feints and good movement, but i'd like to know how to improve my reach. A larger step in would increase my reach but is that too risky for me as he is a strong puncher in close range.

Also, he has a strong right hand with straights and hooks, what is the best way to deal with that or shut down the right hand as his left is weak. I can dodge his punches but my stamina leaves me short after a few rounds of dodging his right.

Thanks in advance for your advice and criticism.
    You could watch B-hop-Pavlik for ways to nullify a right hand with great effect. Personally I wouldn't step in further as it could put you off balance, and with the greater force required to get you there you will be a much slower to react and be able to reposition if he suddenly counters you.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good way to help your jabs is to take away their jab. Pay attention to their jab, time it and then counter off of it. You can counter it with your jab or right cross, etc. and you can slip or parry it. Effectively countering their jab can discourage your taller opponent from jabbing as much, and can help you get your own jab going.

A hard jab is nice when used when needed, but you also need to be quick with it, especially when you're timing their jab. Double it up, mix quick and hard jabs, step in with it, go up and down or even at his chest, and pay attention how they're reacting to it.

If you slip to the outside of their jab, and get in close, you can further improve your position by stepping over to the right of your opponent. Number 1, you're getting away from their right hand and for the moment they can't touch you with their left hand. Number 2 you have them in a bad spot, and you can also catch them when they are turning into you. Learn how to turn your opponent on the inside, use slight shifts (pivoting + stepping) to avoid your opponents punches, change angles, and set up your own punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Not many people do it, but if your outreached by a lengthy lead arm that follows you around and keeps you at a distance you can lightly move that arm on the way in.Chances are his reaction will be to push the opposite way to what you try to lightly move it so you slip around the same way that you pushed cause he will then help you by reacting the reverse.

(I'm the alternate styled one in here) I try and come up with different stuff then the usual...have fun with it or ignore me if you feel the urge ;-).
    The change of perspective is good, it's unfamiliar and makes us look at a problem a different way.

I have a question about your idea. When you move their jab, do you do it with the arm you're about to punch with, or is this something like a parry?

P.S. I like your new title, "Decrepid Guardian".
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 06-06-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With guys who have a longer reach that are trying to hustle you out with the ummm lets call it the 'long pole technique' You give it light shove one way with your lead glove ,when they react you slip that lead glove around their arm to help them go the way they are heading on the reaction (the reverse way to your original push,you revolve your wrist is all and let it pass or drop it and let them through then place it back, best to revolve though so remain in contact so you know what they are doing. . You can launch that same arm straight up their arm like a runway if you have moved behind it or step in to them controlling with the lead glove around their elbow point and launch the rear hand underneath their next reaction which will be back towards centre again,hook them around it then with your right. you need to learn what sides suit southies comming at you and same stancers. It worth messin with.

Practice by having someone push against your forearm and you drop your glove circling it to the inside and down then out and lift your elbow slightly remain in contact with that glove to arm and move into which ever range suits where your heading. See how you have moved from inside to outside their arm and their reaction is inwards to cover the first little shove; so you use their arm movment as cover for the final attack(go around it and bomb them with the same arm if you got the footwork to back it or push it across their centre line and attack underit with your rear as you step into them.

Works reverse for people in opposite stances but works well both ways push from inside slip out or push from out and move in close and take them with the rear hand .

You can of course push lightly for the reaction and then instantly slip straight under with same arm and attack below it as you move in;
    you just replace your left glove with your right glove for cover of his same arm as you go forward then your set up to use that arm on him.

If your in a right arm lead verses left arm lead situation ; you can go in the same way instantly off his reaction but you gotta cover his rear arm cause your heading right into the danger zone. But if your an inside fighter against someone who has it in their mind to keep you on the outside at all costs and you have covered both his arms on his reaction on the way in like that; its your move when you are in distance cause he is still reacting and isnt set. you may get clocked with his left for your trouble but he isnt set to hook you until he steps then lands so its going to be soft compared with what you are doing with movment,distancing and having the guns loaded already cocked with your weight following them in.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for your ideas guys, you've been very helpful. I'm guessing my main issue is not doubling up the jab. I've been trying out some ideas shadow boxing alot and i'll tell you the outcome of our next spar.

Is it legal to hit someone's arm as they swing to hit you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As long as you're not holding, hitting your opponent's arms is legal. Though I don't see much use in it for it in the amateurs. One thing that you could do is check (press against) their bicep as their starting the swing, and then quickly follow up with your other hand. That can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Personally seeing as swings are easier to counter, I'd prefer to either duck under it, or roll inside of their arm and counter
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok as I was thinking of maybe hitting his arm as it swung in as it would stop the punch and hurt his arm, maybe not the most effective way.

I've found a good video explaining a few counters for the right overhand here though. The other two in that series are a great help for anyone learning to counter the right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCJd9v7HABU
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 06-07-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post

Is it legal to hit someone's arm as they swing to hit you?
    Yep and to attack their forearm with your elbow as a block to anything thats comes in round works a treat but if you dont turn to face it, it will come around your elbow and clock you hard so it has to practiced and timed so you know when you can use it.

You wont hurt someones arm much with a glove unless you can trap their arm straight out with one of yours and attack under their arm with your other one r catch and turn your body weight into the outside of their arm thats not legal.

Thats why I recon a light tap on the way in for interruption of their movement and balance counts for allot more than a committed attack on their arm that will be countered.

Think ba bang/ interuption redistance smack. or tap ba bang interupption ,slip, smack. Its a bit like pulling someones foot a little further towards you with your lead foot hooked in behind theirs as they step forwards,its not legal, wont hurt them, but watch their arms go out.

Of course none of this stuff will work all the time. It works best when your both tired, end rounds or when they are schooling you and you cant get out of a rut. Then anything that disrupts the timing of the fight gives you an edge; if you know how to capitalize on it because you have been training it into your system.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    As long as you're not holding, hitting your opponent's arms is legal. Though I don't see much use in it for it in the amateurs. One thing that you could do is check (press against) their bicep as their starting the swing, and then quickly follow up with your other hand. That can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Personally seeing as swings are easier to counter, I'd prefer to either duck under it, or roll inside of their arm and counter
    More for pro nose to nose in an all out war or caught o the ropes but: if your in between their arms and they swing one wild you can turn to face it move forwards into it while blocking with your forearm or elbow throwing your free hand straight up his centreline all in one movment as you head out on that angle where it came from. Better than staying put copping more of the same.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To the original post, you say he leans back from your jab.

Unless you're getting countered I don't see that as a problem.
    The idea is not to get hit and if feinting a jab prevents damge, then flick it out there.

Its your subsequent punches I'd be more concerned with landing.

If you circle right, keep on point and throw a fast jab, you shouldn't be too concerned with his right hand.

Thread Information