Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help... this sucks, what can i do?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Help... this sucks, what can i do?

So i'm a woman who is new to amateur boxing... (3-4 months) and a while back i kind of tweeked my right wrist when doing an upper cut working the hand pads, and have also done this on heavy bag... since then i tried to not go too hard on heavy bags, work on technique and strengthening my wrists... doing wrist curls, grippers etc. it seemed to be getting better- i could pretty much do push ups again without it hurting much, so the a week or so ago i did some chasing in the ring for the first time- i was totally pumped and went all out... i guess i must have lost sight of technique cuz when i got home that night and the next day my wrist was totally messed up... i couldn't use it for a few days- soooo sore- turning door knobs ouch, didn't even ride my bike for a few days... thing is i do not remember any one punch that did this where i screwed it up, and i felt fine in the ring and right after. So anyway i stayed away from the gym for a week and a bit and went back two days this week one i worked on defense and only used my left, and felt fine the next day, then yesterday i went and did a little work on the speed bag, and some shadow boxing with light weights, along with footwork (i figured these things would be ok)... and today my wrist is totally messed up again!! ... the pain is mostly in my thumb near the big knucke and the base of it -lots where my thumb and wrist connect and and through the top of my wrist... i have mobility but it feels super weak and dull aching now... ... did i break my schaphoid? is it tendonitis? DeQuevain's tendonitis, just a sprain? this totally sucks i just want to train and keep at it but i feel like everything i do is making it worse... i'm so frustrated... what can i do short of ice and rest to heal and get stronger...i hate to rest- i feel like a wus, but i know thats probabaly best right now... i 'm going to see a sports physician tomorrow for a diagnosis, but wanted to post and hear of any other ideas, suggestions, etc. i'm feeling like maybe i'm not built for this as i have really small wrists, maybe i'm destined to keep rolling them or whatever, but i really love , the training, and ever since i got a taste of being in the ring i want more... and now this! what a setback... Help! i just want to get over this wall and box again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Help... this sucks, what can i do?

Make sure you DO get it seen to you don't want hand problems trust me. I broke my right hand in 2 places and never got treatment. My bones actually exploded into dust and fragments making the bones in the back of my hand shorter by 5mm. Now my fingers wobble because the tendons are slack (freaks people out lol) still, I get pains when I grip things for long periods and if I punch anything I can kind of feel the weakness of the bones in my hand, feels really fragile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a doctor, but sounds like scaphoid. You'll HAVE to rest it (hopefulle the physio'll tell you how long), then eventually when you return you'll ned to consult your trainer to be sure your technique is fine while you ease yourself back in, and also that yopur hand wraps are doing their job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for your replies...I definately do not want any long term hand problems... i really hope its not scaphoid... i can't imagine i'd hit hard enought to break something, but i guess its technique too. Yeah i tend to wonder about my left hand too... sore pinky knuckle (i'm a mess)... i have always wrapped my hands; started wrapping in between my knuckles and more on the wrists after initial soreness... does anyone suggest using sports tape on the wrist first for added support or is it better just to strengthen and develop technique? Also wondering how much of this could be attributed to using old bag gloves. Is there anyway to test for scaphoid without an xray? there was never any visible swelling or bruising on my wrist or thumb area, and it doesn't hurt to push on where the scaphoid is, but i've heard it can sometimes present like a sprain, and not always have lots of swelling etc... I also have an preexisting thumb injury from last summer; i got it jammed really back not sure if i torn something or broke something as i never got that checked out and its healed a bit weird whatever it was; we'll see i guess... i'll post when i get back from the dr today with an update...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrrrgh!, went to see sports physio today; said nothing broken- no xrays... not tendonitis... he said i did something to my thumb joint possible torn or whatever, and now i'm stuck wearing this stupid thumb splint/brace for 4-6 weeks! totally bummed... guess it could be worse though...lesson learned however; i wish i'd splinted last year when i initially hurt my thumb and decided to just treat it on my own instead, cuz it never fully got strength back or mobilty as i kept using it...rest unfortunately is the best medicine.. i hope i can start hitting things again in 4 weeks... i'll be dying to for sure ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had something like that with my elbow, its hard but just try to train strength and conditioning around it. Also, with what knuckles do you punch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, i'm going to do as much cardio etc as i can... think i'm going to go and run some hills today; but i can't even lift weights or anything, or even skip i doubt with this splint imobilizing my thumb... 4 weeks is going to feel like forever... i think i must have caught my thumb when i was chasing in the ring during a punch or something, and dr said the pain can move into the wrist and down the arm...as i said i'm a beginner, but i've been told to punch with my ring and pinky... dr. looked at my left pinky too as its knuckle has been sore for weeks and said nothing bad there nothing broken...probabaly just need to toughen up there... i have no probs with a little pain... i wrap and thats all good. Any words of wisdom... further suggestions?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have acsess to a gym with a cable machine you should be able to attatch the pulleys to your forearms and do your resitance training that way.

obviously not as effective but better than nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a good idea... they have one of those at the boxing gym i believe... i might try it... at least i'll have some great cardio and my abs will be ripped by the end of the 4 weeks... i'm hoping that after 2-3 weeks i can at least do weights and skip - though i guess that would involve removing the splint... mostly i'm just afraid of going through all this time not being able to train and then it getting reinjured as soon as i get back... any suggestions on how to protect your thumb... i know how to wrap it but it was wrapped when i injured it... maybe some better sparring gloves... can you get ones that have good thumb protection... whats this about attached thumbs in gloves? the gloves i was using were the big puffy ones and they were probably too big as my wrists are pretty small...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by moejoe View Post
    . at least i'll have some great cardio and my abs will be ripped by the end of the 4 weeks....

Don't be expecting some great buff 6 pack abs, unless you are plan on changing your eating habits. But yea, as others have said, use the opportunity to work on other areas of conditioning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by moejoe View Post
    ... at least i'll have some great cardio and my abs will be ripped by the end of the 4 weeks...
    Not to mention a killer left jab

I remember reading about Larry Holmes developing his trademark left jab while his right hand was all busted up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    I remember reading about Larry Holmes developing his trademark left jab while his right hand was all busted up.
    x2, there is a guy at my gym whose whole right hand (or left can't remember) is broken and in a cast. Yet he still comes but only uses his good hand. In your case, its better because you can practice with your lead hand. So just work around your right hand but dont get impatient because (like I did with my elbows) you'll have to start all over again.

ps. try punching with your two knuckles (index and middle). To properly aline your fist you'll have to cock it. First flex your forearm so that your hand is slightly bent protruding your knuckles. Then, to align it, again flex your hand to the outside and make sure you feel strong. I used to punch with my three knuckles but once my coach told me to do this and now that I'm used to it, I dont hurt my wrists and I feel an increase in power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks, i guess it would be pretty sweet to have a lethal left jab... i guess its hard to try to see things as a blessing in disguise sometimes... if you can call it that- but true enough... i can sit around wallowing in my own self pity... drinking beers, eating wings, and getting a gut... or i can treat my body right and work on getting a mean left jab... ... as for the abs... i'm pretty slim as is... 5 foot 6ish and 132 lbs. and i get into shape fairly easy, but i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to cut out the 'bad' foods and limit the pints in conjunction with 2-3 days a week cardio and ab routine...and make way for the six pack... i hope.... any suggestions for thumb protection/prevention once i'm hitting stuff again anyone? all of your feedback, advice, etc has been much appreciated...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks also for the suggestion about knuckle position... i shall try that out... i often wondered why some people say use pinky and ring knuckles, and others say use index and middle, others still middle and ring... what is the difference ? is it about alignment, strength of the knuckles, or what... my friend who fights muay thai says they use the index and middle but they also really rotate their arms when they punch-- they punch different than in boxing it seems... And as much as it sucks... i needed to hear to chill out and not rush back too soon... you're right: i'll just end up having to start all over again... that'd really really suck... but i do not look forward to going to the boxing gym all gimped up with only one hand... patience....patience....its not forever...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. rest.
    2. Make sure you are wrapping your hands correctly.
    3. Get some decent bag gloves.

when you make a fist the two knucles with a flat surface are the little and ring finger. So some people reckon it's better to hit with that area, also to hit with those knucles your arm/wrist straightens. Some say the first two fingers as it's a larger surface and they tend to move less. BUT if your hand is wrapped well the bones in your hands shouldn't be shifting about.

Y'know it could be a matter of your body getting used to the impact. When I first started I hand pains in my hands and wrists. Items 1,2&3 sorted it out. Also had that grinding thumb feeling for a while, that was gross.

Thread Information