Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Benn or Eubanks

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saddo Poll - Benn or Eubanks

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Saddo Poll - Benn or Eubanks

Who did you support and prefer?

Benn and Eubanks fought one another on 18 November 1990 and 9 October 1993 with over 42,000 crammed Old Trafford for one of the biggest boxing events ever staged. The bout was watched by half a billion people worldwide.

Both Benn and Eubank fought at middleweight and super middleweight around the same time in 1985–97, and became rivals on both the domestic and world boxing scene.

Benn won his first 22 consecutive bouts by knockout, earning the moniker 'the Dark Destroyer'.

Eubank was the cocky, flamboyant upstart who began calling out Benn after his tenth bout.

The rivalry became legendary when these two of Britain's opposites went to war in the ring and transfixed a nation
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saddo Poll - Benn or Eubanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Benn and Eubanks fought one another on 18 November 1990 and 9 October 1993 with over 42,000 crammed Old Trafford for one of the biggest boxing events ever staged. The bout was watched by half a billion people worldwide.

Both Benn and Eubank fought at middleweight and super middleweight around the same time in 1985–97, and became rivals on both the domestic and world boxing scene.

Benn won his first 22 consecutive bouts by knockout, earning the moniker 'the Dark Destroyer'.

Eubank was the cocky, flamboyant upstart who began calling out Benn after his tenth bout.

The rivalry became legendary when these two of Britain's opposites went to war in the ring and transfixed a nation

I loved Eubank, he got me interested in boxing. I remember watching him in the Benn rematch and just strutting round in the face of one of the most dangerous fighters in the world and just feeding off the baying crowd. The man is hard as nails and fearlessly unbreakable. He didnt give one tiny little fuck what anyone thought of him and rode his harley with johdpurs and a waist coat. He would snarle at the crowd and stand like a statue posing at them. He was inspiring to me. I loved how unbending he was.

I didnt like Benn, I found his attitude was tiresome but I grew to very much respect him as a fighter as I got more and more in to boxing and realised what he had accomplished.

Both very very good fighters in their own right but Eubank was a little too adaptable for Benn. Both would have made good fights with Jones and Toney regardless of what anyone says.

I read an interview with Tyson in the ring magazine in around 96, he was pictured in his mansion with his white Tigers and he was asked what he thought about Jones and what Jones was saying that he has no decent potential opponents and Tysons reply was that yes he does, theres Nigel Benn! A side note, Eubank used to visit Tyson while he was in prison.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn! Poll closed Couldn't stand Eubank but outstanding rivalry that transferred to the States and brought in new fans.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The very underrated Steve Collins, who beat both TWICE.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn for me. He's the one I wanted to win, although Eubank did do a number on him in the first fight. (For me, Benn won the rematch.)
    I always thought the best part of a Eubank fight was before he stepped in the ring. I have to say, I did grow to like Eubank but back in the day, it was Benn all the way for me.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

I loved Eubank, he got me interested in boxing. I remember watching him in the Benn rematch and just strutting round in the face of one of the most dangerous fighters in the world and just feeding off the baying crowd. The man is hard as nails and fearlessly unbreakable. He didnt give one tiny little fuck what anyone thought of him and rode his harley with johdpurs and a waist coat. He would snarle at the crowd and stand like a statue posing at them. He was inspiring to me. I loved how unbending he was.

I didnt like Benn, I found his attitude was tiresome but I grew to very much respect him as a fighter as I got more and more in to boxing and realised what he had accomplished.

Both very very good fighters in their own right but Eubank was a little too adaptable for Benn. Both would have made good fights with Jones and Toney regardless of what anyone says.

I read an interview with Tyson in the ring magazine in around 96, he was pictured in his mansion with his white Tigers and he was asked what he thought about Jones and what Jones was saying that he has no decent potential opponents and Tysons reply was that yes he does, theres Nigel Benn! A side note, Eubank used to visit Tyson while he was in prison.
    I couldn't really disagree with that more. Both total warriors, but Benn won the rematch for me and was more fearless, he just didn't have the chin. Eubanks cared and still does care desperately what people think of him, the guy is a phony caricature and one of the most annoying people on earth. Neither would have had a chance against Jones or Toney either imo, Eubank doesn't even tell anyone differently himself!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

I couldn't really disagree with that more. Both total warriors, but Benn won the rematch for me and was more fearless, he just didn't have the chin. Eubanks cared and still does care desperately what people think of him, the guy is a phony caricature and one of the most annoying people on earth. Neither would have had a chance against Jones or Toney either imo, Eubank doesn't even tell anyone differently himself!
    You think Benn was fearless, he was but how many boxers do you see allowing world class fighters like Benn free shots and standing in front of them proper full on posing during a fight.

You may also think he cares deeply what people think about him. Eubank is far away from conformity as you will find. He is from the real ghetto. He doesnt talk or act like a thug, he likes to project an image of a gentleman and must be the most eccentric sportsman britain has produced. Eccentric people dont give a shit what others opinion of them are.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well obviously nobody with less than an anvil for a chin(which Eubanks clearly had) can afford to do that, doesn't make them any less fearless to me though. Eubank had a bunch of crap fights where he scraped by against far lesser fighters by just not throwing enough, Benn fought out of his skin every time and was a maniac, you can't really split them on courage imo. How would you know whether Eubank cares or not what people think of him? In general most everyone does, and I don't buy that Eubank was even truly eccentric as much as a pseudo-intellectual weirdo. Look at him in the corner of his sons fights now for christs sake, you're honestly telling me that's not a man who wants attention?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hate polls like these because I don't want to pick one over the other. Went with Benn in the end due to his blow out of Barkley (vicious!!!), and unbelievably beautiful but tragic war with G-Man (one of my favorite fighters ever). Eubanks equally courageous and tragic come from behind win over Watson and beat down of Benn at 160 is very hard to overlook though. Either way, it was them together that made them so special to me. Love the contrast of legitimately mean/aggressive Benn and the eccentric and at times brilliant stylist Eubanks. God I miss the 90s!!!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steve collins
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone mentions Steve Collins in this thread again will get banned.
    Last edited by Master; 08-30-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone mentions Steve Collins in this thread again will get banned.
    Hear , Hear!

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You think Benn was fearless, he was but how many boxers do you see allowing world class fighters like Benn free shots and standing in front of them proper full on posing during a fight.

You may also think he cares deeply what people think about him. Eubank is far away from conformity as you will find. He is from the real ghetto. He doesnt talk or act like a thug, he likes to project an image of a gentleman and must be the most eccentric sportsman britain has produced. Eccentric people dont give a shit what others opinion of them are.

Yes Eubank JR did the same against BJS , and lost on points.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn for me , I admire Eubank for what is probably the best chin in the history of British boxing , but for me he was and is an annoying prick.
    I have met Eubank and let me tell you Eubank is as thick as a whale omelette his interviews are practised so he sounds smarter than he is. I remember at home with the Eubanks , I'm sure someone can find the footage , but anyway Eubanks Jr is doing his home work and asked dad what the capital of Finland is , he pressures him for an answer. Eubank the elder answers " is it Sweden". lol
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

Yes Eubank JR did the same against BJS , and lost on points.
    Thats just opinion. He didnt lose, just like Benn didnt win the rematch

Thread Information