Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can floyd be an all time great?

I aint a floyd fan but fuck this guy can box. Hes like roy jones a lower weight, he makes guys look stupid and these guys arent just bums....they are world class. If continues surely he will become an all time great, what do you reckon?
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can floyd be an all time great?

This thread happens every week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    This thread happens every week
    I know.....but i havent done one yet so i wanted to
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The answer is yes he can become an alltime great if he steps up his competition or dominates successive weight divisions in a way similar to Roy JOnes Jr., but the difference is despite what people say Roy Jones Jr. fought much better competition than Floyd Mayweather Jr. and probably everyone in the 90's except Holyfield.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He will. Even with a loss or two. A loss will bring him back to earth, and get him hungry. And, it would force him to fight the"tough guys", everyone wants him to fight, to set back up the biggest money fights.
    If he keeps winning without a loss, he definately becomes an all-time great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At this rate, he'll end up being remembered for ducking fighters, fighting paper champs at 140+ and having a big mouth. Erm, that's about it really.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd Mayweather is on his way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    At this rate, he'll end up being remembered for ducking fighters, fighting paper champs at 140+ and having a big mouth. Erm, that's about it really.
    If he was to beat Zab, then Oscar, then either Hatton or Margarito, you wouldn't consider him an all-time great? Or even if he lost to Zab, and while Zab was fighting Oscar, Floyd beats Margarito, then Hatton, then rematches Zab, he still wouldn't be great? This is the plan he and Arum have come up with, and if he sticks to it{Big if}, I can't see how you could doubt him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    If he was to beat Zab, then Oscar, then either Hatton or Margarito, you wouldn't consider him an all-time great? Or even if he lost to Zab, and while Zab was fighting Oscar, Floyd beats Margarito, then Hatton, then rematches Zab, he still wouldn't be great? This is the plan he and Arum have come up with, and if he sticks to it{Big if}, I can't see how you could doubt him.
    If PBF beats all those people, then he goes down much higher than Roy Jones Jr. He would have beaten better people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes i definatly will consider him an all time great if he does that. I doubt him cos I don't think it's gonna go like that. If oscar doesn't beat him hatton will, but if it goes like u said then he will be an all time great for sure. His achievement at 130-135 cannot be questioned though.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He will. Even with a loss or two. A loss will bring him back to earth, and get him hungry. And, it would force him to fight the"tough guys", everyone wants him to fight, to set back up the biggest money fights.
    If he keeps winning without a loss, he definately becomes an all-time great.
    He still is hungry though, and he does want the big fights just on his terms...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes i definatly will consider him an all time great if he does that. I doubt him cos I don't think it's gonna go like that. If oscar doesn't beat him hatton will, but if it goes like u said then he will be an all time great for sure. His achievement at 130-135 cannot be questioned though.
    I like Floyd, and a fight with Oscar will make alot of money, and even though Oscar is old, he still is a credible fighter, but I'd rather see him fight Margarito 1st. Then he secures that he beat 2 of the top 5 WWs, before taking the money fight.

I totally agree with him skipping 140{Hatton}, but I don't blame him completely. Some of that blame should go to Arum. Having Cotto at 140 being groomed for a big fight, but not being ready for Floyd, puts 2 of your horses in the same race, and all the attention goes to Floyd. Cotto doesn't get the big fights, which equalls less money and exposure for Arum. 2 undefeated fighters in 2 weight classes makes more sense. Especially if both can run the tables and then face each other in a mega-fight. As you can tell by the interview with Floyd, he loves Arum, and is going to do what he is told.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's interesting to read what the perception of Floyd was 5 years ago.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardless of how Mayweather Jr. finishes his career, i'm sure some fans will think of him as an all-time great, but as far as i'm concerned he'll be remembered as someone who never really lived up to their potential.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find myself thinking that more and more. He has for whatever reason severly hand cuffed his own career whenever he hits a nice creast. Like a guy in an auto race who mazes 200mph outta the gate then takes foot off gas, see division and other just passing by. He 'settles'...in career and in more then a few fights. Hey he did beat a great in JMM, even if he looked like he outweighed him by one Ricardo Lopez.

Personally I think his ability is great. But as for one career defining unique statement of a match, don't see it.

Thread Information