Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Povetkin has one more run before retirement!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Povetkin has one more run before retirement!

Well, he fell short on his second world title try- First against Wlad and then again against the man who beat Wlad, Anthony Joshua.

There ain't much left for him at this stage aside from becoming a stepping stone OR waiting to see what pans out in the Wilder/Fury fight if AJ does not have next solidified.

I reckon he has one more good run in him if he wants it and then if he fails at that then he should just hang it up. To be honest, he deserves another shot because he has faced better opposition than all of the other challengers and contenders. But, if he cannot beat AJ and if he cannot beat the winner of Wilder/Fury then he will just have to sit it out for a long, looooonnnnggggg time and age will not permit that at this stage with him being 39.

He is a good fighter. But he is in an era where he fought Wlad and got hugged to death and at a time where Wilder and AJ can only be beaten by one another. It's just the way it is...

Unless someone gets stripped, which does not appear to be anytime soon, then the titles are staying with either man for the foreseable future.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Povetkin has one more run before retirement!

Absolutely not. It was a brave showing but he is done and has been on the slide a while. Think it once again shows the limitations in Joshua though. Ignore the judges, Povetkin was 4-2 up after 6. Maybe Povetkin could fight Ortiz as an oldies show which could be fun, but think he is way past his best now. Too old to be a come forward fighter. He cannot maintain it.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he still makes for some interesting fights, Ortiz, Parker, the Wilder/ Fury loser, even for a guy like Usyk.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin is a nightmare for Wilder and Fury (one can't box for toffee, the other can't punch for toffee). However, he has to deal with getting chinned for the first time in his life and he is of the old era.

Out with the old in with the new.

Ortiz would be good for the connoisseur/nerds though.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Povetkin is a nightmare for Wilder and Fury (one can't box for toffee, the other can't punch for toffee). However, he has to deal with getting chinned for the first time in his life and he is of the old era.

Tell that to Briggs and Oquendo.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Absolutely not. It was a brave showing but he is done and has been on the slide a while. Think it once again shows the limitations in Joshua though. Ignore the judges, Povetkin was 4-2 up after 6. Maybe Povetkin could fight Ortiz as an oldies show which could be fun, but think he is way past his best now. Too old to be a come forward fighter. He cannot maintain it.
    I agree. Those first 4 rounds were his last hurrah.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin was very dangerous and really rattled AJ. He can definitely beat the other top fighters under the right conditions. Can Povetkin get up for these other challenges at his state of life? I think he can.

I think Povetkin could beat Whyte and Parker on that performance.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with all the above, but reference the last sentence, it doesn’t make enough money.
    Although he could still be competitive obviously, I’m not sure at 39 if he could have the desire to carry on for relative peanuts after last night’s payout.
    Joshua is undisputedly the Money in the division and once you’ve had that, where do you go?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’d love to see Ortiz say he’s willing to go to Russia to hear why Povetkin won’t fight him. Just for the amusement. I’m curious what reasons they would give.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Povetkin was very dangerous and really rattled AJ. He can definitely beat the other top fighters under the right conditions. Can Povetkin get up for these other challenges at his state of life? I think he can.

I think Povetkin could beat Whyte and Parker on that performance.
    I'm not sure he beats either but those are the type of fights that I'd like to see Povetkin in, if he continues. He is still competitive, if not favored against most in the top 20.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin reminds me a bit of Adamek in that he can beat most but will fall short against the super heavies due to size and in this case due to age. 39 is no age for most fighters unless you have a slick defence like a Toney or even a Hopkins and always have a plan b and c. Adamek and Povetkin are not those kinds of fighters. Very good at what they do, but you get old. That is where I respect Calzaghe. He knew his style had a time limit and knew when to stop. Few have that kind of sense about them.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Agree with all the above, but reference the last sentence, it doesn’t make enough money.
    Although he could still be competitive obviously, I’m not sure at 39 if he could have the desire to carry on for relative peanuts after last night’s payout.
    Joshua is undisputedly the Money in the division and once you’ve had that, where do you go?
    Yes Povetkin does great business himself in Russia, he's certainly not short of a few quid, his mob even forced Wlad to Russia with a whopping $25 million purse bid. And before that he spent years with the Sauerlands headlining big German cards.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Povetkin reminds me a bit of Adamek in that he can beat most but will fall short against the super heavies due to size and in this case due to age. 39 is no age for most fighters unless you have a slick defence like a Toney or even a Hopkins and always have a plan b and c. Adamek and Povetkin are not those kinds of fighters. Very good at what they do, but you get old. That is where I respect Calzaghe. He knew his style had a time limit and knew when to stop. Few have that kind of sense about them.
    Nice arrempt to rewrite history. He has lost to Wlad and Joshua. That's it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin wants a title. He is 39 years old. Time is ticking. He has one more good, solid run for A TITLE before he becomes just a punching bag.

He should not angle himself for the winner of Fury/Wilder if the AJ angle does not work out.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who would be interested in seeing Usyk vs Povetkin after the Bellew fight?

Povetkin has been saying he is fighting in the UK in Apr. That's a damn good test for Usyk at heavy.

Thread Information