Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Just started sparring

Had my first sparring session two days ago. Quite an eye opening experience.

My coach gave me a headguard but said I didnt need a mouthpiece as there would be no headshots (led me to wonder why I was given a headguard!)

The guy before me was wearing a cup, when I asked about one they said that I would be ok without one.

The guy i was sparring with has had 60 amateur fights and unbeaten in 2 pro fights. He is a super featherweight and my natural weight would be light welter. But he has about 2 or 3 inches on me in height. All the japanese fighters in my gym have thin legs, tiny waist, wide shoulders and rangy arms.

Sparring starts, I keep my guard low waiting for a body assualt, and I got hit with a triple jab !!! I gave my coach a bit of a "whats going on here look"!! Lol

Anyway I was trying to corner him and I landed a few decent shots but i was finding it hard to block anything he was throwing. I was pacing myself because although they said i would be sparring one round only, my coach always pushes for one more.

The round finished and of course the coach asks if I can handle another round. I felt OK so i said yes.

2nd round and I am starting to get a bit tired. My natural style/physique lends it self to inside fighting so basically me and the other guy had our chins on each others shoulders and went for each others bodies. I was a bit nervous as i wasnt wearing a cup!!!

Then came a turning point, the other guy came bobbing in to get inside and as he done that I went for a straight right to his heart but because he was coming in I landed a solid shot straight to the face. That seemed to be his cue to open up and he was absolutely hammering me with body shots, my solar plexus took a bit of a hammering. I honestly couldnt block anything even though i was covering up as much as possible and i didnt have the stamina to throw constant combinations to keep him off.

Anyway, sparring finishes and I got praised up by the sparring partner and the coaches. Because it was my first time sparring and I am a foreigner the whole of the gym stopped to watch which was a bit embarrasing. The pro was praising my punching power but I was a bit suprised because I wasnt really putting much weight behind my punches as i wasnt quite sure about sparring etiquette. Although i know I have a fairly solid punch because the coaches have praised me up about it.

Anyway, thats my first sparring session, i was supposed to spar yesterday but as i was finishing the potential sparring partners came to the gym a bit later. i feel a bit ill today so I am giving the gym a miss today.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just started sparring

Well my congratualtions, but if uv just started sparring theres no way u should be sparring that guy and he's very cruel to even hit you if he has had that expierience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Well my congratualtions, but if uv just started sparring theres no way u should be sparring that guy and he's very cruel to even hit you if he has had that expierience.
    Cheers for the reply. Yeah, I was a bit suprised when they put me in with a pro. I am quite looking forward to having another go. I will make sure to put a bit more weight behind my punches next time.

My trainer had me working on throwing punches at the bag with tighter defence and shorter punches after the sparring session, just to tighten my defence for next time.

When I went to the gym yesterday a few of the other pro fighters came up and said they heard about my sparring session. I think they seemd a little suprised who i was put in with ! lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well as long as your still enjoying it thats great. Some trainers do tend to give a baptism of fire!

At the moment im not boxing well mysel and i was sparring a pro last friday and two amateur champs the weight above me last night.
    I'm at a loss as to what is wrong with me but I'll persist!

Just like you should, I mean be proud, if guys approach you atbthe gym about your spar you no thats a big deal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im only very slightly ahead of you cp (good make btw )in terms of sparring experience, but you learn so much every session, you don't realise the improvments your making either. You must have hurt him for him to open up on you though lol, take that as a positive sign. Sparring gets heated, ive learnt that one early.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Harris
    Im only very slightly ahead of you cp (good make btw )in terms of sparring experience, but you learn so much every session, you don't realise the improvments your making either. You must have hurt him for him to open up on you though lol, take that as a positive sign. Sparring gets heated, ive learnt that one early.
    Your right there LH, You can train all you want but to be ready to fight there is no more intense training than sparring. Got another (or 2) tonight myself) cant wait at all!!!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually, its fairly typical to put a first timer in with a much more experienced fighter. Really not much point in putting two beginners in with one another. He opened up on you because you got his attention, and you should have a better idea of how to avoid a volley of punches than you did before because punching back isn't always the answer and, against a good fighter, "covering up" is asking to be hit. You also should now have the Number One rule implanted on your brain- or nose, depending how much he put on that triple jab - protect yourself at all times and always assume you are being lied to.
    Good luck. It sounds like you did well and you are still able to talk about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cpcompany
    Then came a turning point, the other guy came bobbing in to get inside and as he done that I went for a straight right to his heart but because he was coming in I landed a solid shot straight to the face.
    HAHAHA. Ah thats great. A Beautiful punch, one of my favorites, may you land many more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    Actually, its fairly typical to put a first timer in with a much more experienced fighter. Really not much point in putting two beginners in with one another. He opened up on you because you got his attention, and you should have a better idea of how to avoid a volley of punches than you did before because punching back isn't always the answer and, against a good fighter, "covering up" is asking to be hit. You also should now have the Number One rule implanted on your brain- or nose, depending how much he put on that triple jab - protect yourself at all times and always assume you are being lied to.
    Good luck. It sounds like you did well and you are still able to talk about it.
    Cheers. Next time its supposed to be an easy sparring session I will prepare for all out war and savage blood letting ! Lol

Thread Information